7000 cops... really?

Old Jun 10th 2014, 7:37 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute
Default 7000 cops... really?

Who's paying for those 7000 cops to go to those regimental funerals. That's right us. Knowing coppers, I bet everything is free and that they will be paid for the time they are there or they wouldn't go.

If we really must waste millions of dollars, then instead of the usual mawkish displays of uniform worship that they seem to love here why not give something to the families instead. I'm sure that poor woman with the young kid expecting another could do with a few bob now.
Old Jun 10th 2014, 7:43 pm
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 7000 cops... really?

Get back in your box, you're disgusting
Old Jun 10th 2014, 7:53 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cookie
There's no need for personal attacks.

Maybe you'd prefer to spend your cash on opulent funerals rather than give the widow some financial assistance - it's your choice I suppose. Personally I think the whole 'being seen to care' being more important than actually caring thing is a bit crass. It's a bit depressing that society is like this.
Old Jun 10th 2014, 8:23 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Who's paying for those 7000 cops to go to those regimental funerals. That's right us. Knowing coppers, I bet everything is free and that they will be paid for the time they are there or they wouldn't go.

If we really must waste millions of dollars, then instead of the usual mawkish displays of uniform worship that they seem to love here why not give something to the families instead. I'm sure that poor woman with the young kid expecting another could do with a few bob now.
Its like any type of organization that derives power from physical force, be it the police, military or organized crime groups, they always have an over-the-top display of mourning and solidarity to demonstrate they're still a viable power. I agree, a low-key memorial with the extra money going to the families would have been far more respectful.
Old Jun 10th 2014, 8:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cookie
I feel that the OP posted in such a way to invoke outrage but I do happen to agree with his general tone and the poster who followed your post.....What does it really achieve flying 1000's of officers across the country to a funeral.? A donation/trust fund to the affected families and those officers who knew the victims attending the funeralwould be more appropriate. What happens in these cases when the affected families don't want all the media attention and just want a quiet service?
Old Jun 10th 2014, 10:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

You will probably find that the vast majority of these officers if not all paid their own way to this funeral and very few if any taxpayers dollars were used.
Officers will have taken vacation or are on days off while attending and paid their own way.
Old Jun 10th 2014, 10:05 pm

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
You will probably find that the vast majority of these officers if not all paid their own way to this funeral and very few if any taxpayers dollars were used.
Officers will have taken vacation or are on days off while attending and paid their own way.
Yeah, sure they will. There was a charity bike ride that some RCMP did around here - turns out they all got paid while they was on it. Basically, show me the receipts or I don't believe you.
Old Jun 10th 2014, 10:06 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Pfft.
Old Jun 10th 2014, 10:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, sure they will. There was a charity bike ride that some RCMP did around here - turns out they all got paid while they was on it. Basically, show me the receipts or I don't believe you.
I think you misunderstand or have blinkers on. An officer on leave or rest day is paid regardless as they receive an annual salary which encompasses vacation and rest days. Its called collective bargaining and terms of employment.
Old Jun 10th 2014, 10:14 pm

I think you misunderstand or have blinkers on. An officer on leave or rest day is paid regardless as they receive an annual salary which encompasses vacation and rest days. Its called collective bargaining and terms of employment.
I think you'll probably find that they didn't take vacation.
Old Jun 10th 2014, 10:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

How many of these 7000 were from the USA?
I know any funeral I wish to attend its paid for out of my own pocket and I either take vacation or alter my scheduled hours so Im not taking time off work when I should be working.
Old Jun 10th 2014, 10:18 pm

How many of these 7000 were from the USA?
I know any funeral I wish to attend its paid for out of my own pocket and I either take vacation or alter my scheduled hours so Im not taking time off work when I should be working.
This isn't your ordinary funeral though is it. It's a full on ceremonial one with horses and parades and stuff like that.

(I assume none of the 7000 are from the US as the reports claim they are RCMP)

Ultimately though, why not do as Oink suggests - have a low key affair, and give the cost difference to the families?

Last edited by Alan2005; Jun 10th 2014 at 10:21 pm.
Old Jun 10th 2014, 10:20 pm

We need dboy/boyd here to tell us, albeit angrily, the straight goods.
Old Jun 10th 2014, 10:24 pm

Originally Posted by Oink
We need dboy/boyd here to tell us, albeit angrily, the straight goods.
As I was writing the OP I thought of the blood vessels in dboy's forehead throbbing with the the rage of a 1000 suns and shed a tear for the thread that might have been had he been here.

Although I actually liked getting his (admittedly very angry) perspective.
Old Jun 10th 2014, 10:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

This isn't your ordinary funeral though is it. It's a full on ceremonial one with horses and parades and stuff like that.

(I assume none of the 7000 are from the US as the reports claim they are RCMP)

Ultimately though, why not do as Oink suggests - have a low key affair, and give the cost difference to the families?
This was a regimental funeral that are usually not afforded to all officers who are killed while on duty.
So how about state funerals for politicians etc etc aren't they a waste of money as well.
Look I know you don't have a great deal of admiration for the police but why bring it up in a thread. Yes its a discussion or an opinion but I tend to think most will disagree with your views in light of this incident.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.