It was 54 years ago

Old Jul 27th 2011, 5:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Largo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond repute
Unhappy It was 54 years ago

It was 54 years ago today, by the date that I, and my then ,OH, embarked on the Canadian Pacific ship 'Empress of Scotland', for an adventure We had our passports stamped in Quebec as 'Landed Immigrants.' on Aug. 1st 1957.
We were very isolated., and yes, life was difficult In the Autumn we used to freeze cartons of milk as well as chickens etc. because we did not know if we could get out to go shopping, if bad weather arrived. Often, we could not get out for 6 or more weeks, on dirt and gravel roads. The train did come in on Fridays to bring basic supplies
We both had jobs, teaching in 'the sticks , or the sage brush', 50 miles south of Medicine Hat. I must say that I consider those days probably the happiest I have spent here. The people were very welcoming .The community spirit was amazing. We did have Community Events, like church and Community Suppers and dances which I suppose, by today's standards, would be considered 'crap'. Certainly , not 'a life style' The whole community was involved and the young children used to bed down to sleep, in the corners/ edges of the Community Hall when there were dances.I suppose it was being a part of a real community where neighbours helped each other.

Sadly to say that place no longer exists because of gas and oil exploration

Last edited by Largo; Jul 27th 2011 at 6:43 am.
Old Jul 27th 2011, 1:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Keith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: It was 54 years ago

That was some introduction to life in Canada.

We came over in a similar way in July 1963 ( ship and a job to come to) plus we had two kids. The big difference was we came to Ottawa and wasn't so isolated. We to found Canadians very welcoming and helpful in settling in, both individuals and the company I worked for.

We have been here in Ottawa since then and in hindsight wish we had come 10 years earlier. Did you move much?

Congratulations.
Old Jul 27th 2011, 4:34 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: It was 54 years ago

"This part of the country seems to have all hell for a basement, and the only trap door appears to be in Medicine Hat. And don’t you ever think of changing the name of your town. It’s all your own and the only hat of its kind on earth." - Rudyard Kipling

Calgary has changed a lot in the few years I've lived here, in ten years time it will unrecognizable I reckon.

When I was a kid my mom used to employ a cleaning lady who had lived in Newfoundland during the 1930s and 40s, some of the stuff she used to come out with was pretty eye-opening.