40 footer

Old May 21st 2007, 8:07 am
BE Enthusiast

lilacheart has a brilliant futurelilacheart has a brilliant futurelilacheart has a brilliant futurelilacheart has a brilliant futurelilacheart has a brilliant futurelilacheart has a brilliant future
Default 40 footer

We are shipping out hopefully next week and have requested a 40 foot container.

We live in a 4 bedroomed house and have lots of toys and gadgets. Also some quite large furniture ie dining table and chairs , dresser and large corner computer desk.

How likely is it that I can fit it all in a 40 foot container?

I have reduced a lot of our stuff but don't know how much further I need to go. Hubby is quite confident what we have left will fit and I hope he is right. Does anybody have any feedback?

We are obviously not taking dishwasher, tumble dryer , fridge or the washing machine which will save us a lot of room

Thanks
Kerry
Old May 21st 2007, 8:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Eastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud of
Default Re: 40 footer

Originally Posted by kerlynkeo
We are shipping out hopefully next week and have requested a 40 foot container.

We live in a 4 bedroomed house and have lots of toys and gadgets. Also some quite large furniture ie dining table and chairs , dresser and large corner computer desk.

How likely is it that I can fit it all in a 40 foot container?

I have reduced a lot of our stuff but don't know how much further I need to go. Hubby is quite confident what we have left will fit and I hope he is right. Does anybody have any feedback?

We are obviously not taking dishwasher, tumble dryer , fridge or the washing machine which will save us a lot of room

Thanks
Kerry
Hi Kerry
We had much the same size house and were quoted a forty foot container same as you were not taking all the kitchen stuff the guys who come to quote have done this a hundred times and its there job to advise the right size container for the amount of furniture you have to ship
Old May 21st 2007, 12:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud of

Hi

Our house is three bed, but we are taking absolutely everything except the electrical stuff. We were quoted for a forty foot based on the fact that we had too much stuff for a twenty foot one. The man who came out to assess said we would not have enough to fill a forty foot so it will be part empty. So based on that I think you should be fine getting everything in! (Plus when we have been on any motorways recently I have been playing "spot the container" and the ones which I assume are the forty foot ones, look absolutely huge!) Good luck anyway and I hope it all goes smoothly for you.

Lisa
Old May 21st 2007, 12:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

lilacheart has a brilliant futurelilacheart has a brilliant futurelilacheart has a brilliant futurelilacheart has a brilliant futurelilacheart has a brilliant futurelilacheart has a brilliant future

Thanks for this.

Hubby was here when the quotes were taken so I never actually spoke to anyone about the volume.

As he is always optimistic his " It will be fine" makes me nervous.

I think the only way to stop fretting it to have a pile that I would not "mind" losing if we run out of room !!

</IMG>
Old May 21st 2007, 12:51 pm
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

A 20ft container is approximately the size of a single garage.

We took a 20ft container for our large 3-bedroom house but did not take much in the way of large pieces of furniture except for 1 double bed, a 3-piece sofa set, 2 bedside cabinets and 3 chests of drawers, 2 rocking chairs, one small bookcase and a sideboard. Also took contents of garage which included 4 bikes, tools and racking . We had over 120 pieces/boxes packed into our container so took lots and lots of things.

I think that your 40ft container will be fine for all the furniture you will take with you. The dining table, chairs and corner computer desk will take up a lot of room but the removal guys know how to pack everything up.

Some of our old furniture was starting to look a wee bit tired but we took them over and they are now in our family room and guest bedroom. Shopping for new sofa set/TVs/beds and bedding/dining sets was fun was fun but shopping for smaller bits and pieces soon adds up and becomes a bit of a chore (bring over lots of kitchen drawer items and garden equipment).

When you land you will be really glad that you took so much. It's a great feeling when you are reunited with the personal things

Here is a link to a previous thread from a few months back.

Last edited by Cookie; May 21st 2007 at 12:56 pm. Reason: Added link
Old May 21st 2007, 1:14 pm

Mrs Miggins is an unknown quantity at this point

Hiya folks!

Just a quick one,

I am currently sitting down in between sorting out my house full of crap ready for foxes who are coming to do our removal in a 20ft. We too are in a 4bed semi. What they pointed out was that the beds and stuff, can all be flat packed for us, so I think a 20ft will be ok as do they. So hopefully that will make you feel a bit better!

Two weeks on Thursday and totally soiling myself but getting excited
Old May 21st 2007, 1:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Eastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Mrs Miggins
Hiya folks!

Just a quick one,

I am currently sitting down in between sorting out my house full of crap ready for foxes who are coming to do our removal in a 20ft. We too are in a 4bed semi. What they pointed out was that the beds and stuff, can all be flat packed for us, so I think a 20ft will be ok as do they. So hopefully that will make you feel a bit better!

Two weeks on Thursday and totally soiling myself but getting excited
Hi
The best thing is once you know the removal guys are on their way and emtying trhe house it all suddenly seems real and theres no going back all the best for the next couple of weeks