Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

4 year old on a school bus

4 year old on a school bus

Old May 15th 2008, 2:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Maple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: 4 year old on a school bus

Originally Posted by MJM1
Neurotic mother alert! Neurotic mother alert! Why did I find this thread.
Since we have an offer on a house which feeds into a rural school I am past myself at the thought of letting my kids get on the bus themselves.

Apparently the school bus will stop at the end of our looong drive to collect them.

However, I am thinking dark winter mornings I wouldn't dream of letting them stand at the end of the road on their own as the traffic will be fast going past them at the bottom and the youngest will only be 5. And lets not even get into the thought of someone taking them.........

Kids think the concept of a school bus is great. But I can seriously see me pulling out and following the school bus to the school to make sure they get off at the other end safely. Which completely defeats the purpose of the bus!!! But at least my kids don't miss out on the journey with friends!!

I know this is the current debate at the minute - 'wrapping our kids up' and not allowing them the freedom we might have had when we were younger.....but I cannot help myself.

Therefore, is it fairly common for people to still take and collect their own kids to and from school? Or will I stand out like a sore thumb in the school yard as the weird over-protective English woman......
plenty of people here...well that i know of anyways...drive their kids to school when they could catch the bus.

my own son was catching the bus at 8 on his own....whilst neighbours would drive their kids to school cos it was *safer*....and that wasn't just one lot..that was 2 lots. and a couple of the kids were older than him.

to be honest i dont' think there is much difference in the way things get done here between the UK...Australia and Canada. seems to me a lot of what i read, hear and experience through people is the same.

also....i empathise with you. you are moving to a new country with children. i think i would be much the same for a while too. God even i was nervous driving around for the first few months at least. getting used to everything. nothing is familiar at first..

and (((biiiink))) i remember when your little one started on the bus....seems he is still enjoy it..good for him!!
Old May 16th 2008, 7:14 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MJM1
Neurotic mother alert! Neurotic mother alert! Why did I find this thread.
Since we have an offer on a house which feeds into a rural school I am past myself at the thought of letting my kids get on the bus themselves.

Apparently the school bus will stop at the end of our looong drive to collect them.

However, I am thinking dark winter mornings I wouldn't dream of letting them stand at the end of the road on their own as the traffic will be fast going past them at the bottom and the youngest will only be 5. And lets not even get into the thought of someone taking them.........

Kids think the concept of a school bus is great. But I can seriously see me pulling out and following the school bus to the school to make sure they get off at the other end safely. Which completely defeats the purpose of the bus!!! But at least my kids don't miss out on the journey with friends!!

I know this is the current debate at the minute - 'wrapping our kids up' and not allowing them the freedom we might have had when we were younger.....but I cannot help myself.

Therefore, is it fairly common for people to still take and collect their own kids to and from school? Or will I stand out like a sore thumb in the school yard as the weird over-protective English woman......
My friend lives in rural Alberta and her kids catch the bus. They probably don't need it now, but I know she used to walk them down her long driveway to the road and wait with them for the bus in the mornings. She'd combine it with taking her dogs for a walk too.
Old May 21st 2008, 1:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Mr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond repute

OK - Time to come clean...

...I drive a school bus.

Two things I feel I should mention to put peoples' minds at rest here:

1 - When dropping off/picking up elementary school kids, there should always be a teacher/responsible adult present. This means that nobody should get left behind.
2 - Every driver has to do a "child check" at least at the end of their run and radio in to their base that they have done this. Some buses even have a switch at the back of the bus that you have to press to ensure you've walked the length of your bus to check before switching it off.