33 r.p.m. - stock of

Old Feb 4th 2010, 8:43 pm

anishq is just really niceanishq is just really niceanishq is just really niceanishq is just really niceanishq is just really niceanishq is just really niceanishq is just really niceanishq is just really niceanishq is just really nice
Default 33 r.p.m. - stock of

Have about 100 33 r.p.m. records (and 2 "78's). Rather attached to all of them and some are about 30 years old. For time being can't listen to any of them. Do I buy the obvious i.e. a turntable and are turntables even still on sale, or is there a possibility of putting the whole lot on CD? If the latter is a possibility what sort of cost should I expect and where would I go to get this done?

Thanks to all you knowledgeable people out there who may take the time to reply.
Old Feb 4th 2010, 8:49 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 33 r.p.m. - stock of

Originally Posted by anishq
Have about 100 33 r.p.m. records (and 2 "78's). Rather attached to all of them and some are about 30 years old. For time being can't listen to any of them. Do I buy the obvious i.e. a turntable and are turntables even still on sale, or is there a possibility of putting the whole lot on CD? If the latter is a possibility what sort of cost should I expect and where would I go to get this done?

Thanks to all you knowledgeable people out there who may take the time to reply.
You can buy a turntable with a USB output. Turns all your LPs into mp3 files.
Old Feb 4th 2010, 8:50 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

You can get turntables here, of varying quality and expense.

You can bring your current turntable and hope it runs at the right speed (50Hz vs 60Hz power). Transformer hum might be an issue if you are an audiophile type and converting 110 to 240 though.

You can take the line feed from your current set up and feed it into your computer and convert them all to MP3 files, There is software to remove clicks and pops even.

Personally Id go with option 3 myself, unless there is something about vinyl other than the musical content that you crave. Surely the 78s must be more than 30 years old!

Last edited by iaink; Feb 4th 2010 at 8:53 pm.
Old Feb 4th 2010, 8:51 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
It will be a crap turntable though... you can just feed the line out signal from your amp into your PC, download some software and achieve the same thing.

Kijiji / Craigslist would be a good bet for a turntable once you get here I would think?
Old Feb 4th 2010, 10:40 pm
Swollen Member

geo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond repute

Keep the vinyl.

CDs sound crap- MP3's infinetely worse.

I'd strongly recommend you look into Thorens.

http://www.thorens.com/turntables/drives.html
Old Feb 4th 2010, 10:54 pm

anishq is just really niceanishq is just really niceanishq is just really niceanishq is just really niceanishq is just really niceanishq is just really niceanishq is just really niceanishq is just really niceanishq is just really nice

Originally Posted by JonboyE
Thank you for your reply.
Old Feb 4th 2010, 10:55 pm

Originally Posted by geo4
Keep the vinyl.

CDs sound crap- MP3's infinetely worse.

I'd strongly recommend you look into Thorens.

http://www.thorens.com/turntables/drives.html
Thanks for responding. Shall look into the site you quote.
Old Feb 4th 2010, 10:56 pm

Originally Posted by iaink
It will be a crap turntable though... you can just feed the line out signal from your amp into your PC, download some software and achieve the same thing.

Kijiji / Craigslist would be a good bet for a turntable once you get here I would think?
Thank you.
Old Feb 4th 2010, 11:00 pm

Originally Posted by iaink
You can get turntables here, of varying quality and expense.

You can bring your current turntable and hope it runs at the right speed (50Hz vs 60Hz power). Transformer hum might be an issue if you are an audiophile type and converting 110 to 240 though.

You can take the line feed from your current set up and feed it into your computer and convert them all to MP3 files, There is software to remove clicks and pops even.

Personally Id go with option 3 myself, unless there is something about vinyl other than the musical content that you crave. Surely the 78s must be more than 30 years old!
Yes, gosh time flies! Forgot to say that the two 78s are over 50 years old! That dates me! One is Paul Anka 'Diana', t'other Elvis' 'Hound Dog'/'Don't be Cruel'. Thanks again.