3 month panic!

Old Sep 7th 2009, 3:31 pm
Forum Regular

coal has a spectacular aura aboutcoal has a spectacular aura aboutcoal has a spectacular aura about
Default 3 month panic!

Hi,

I'm having a bit of a panic / wobble after my first three months of moving from the UK to Vancouver so just looking for some virtual hugs from fellow expats!

I have a permanent residents visa which had to be activated by the end of July so I decided to move in June. It was a gamble to take as I didn't have a job lined up. I have emigrated on my own which has made the experience overwhelming at times. I do love the city and have found it easy to meet people, many of whom I have built up good friendships with. Some are British expats which helps as they know what you are going through. Work has been slow to come due to the economy and being new in town. I was starting to get really worried. I felt like going home and cutting my losses rather than watch my hard earned savings dwindle. It was making me sick! However, I got a breakthrough last week and am likely to be starting work this week. It will be a relief to get back to work and have money coming in again. Money just seems to drain away quickly when you move countries. My next dilemma is housing...I have been in a short term let since arriving and my stuff has arrived but it is still in the warehouse where it came in. I was afraid of signing up to a one year rental lease without any sign of work. I know a lot of places ask for employment references and income...it would be good to hear from people who have had experience of getting a lease with out a job first. A lot of places are unfurnished which would mean buying furniture, another worry as I do not have my own. I do have the option of staying in a friends furnished place while they are away for a few months although my things would have to remain in storage...there's so many things to decide...I'm finding it all very overwhelming on my own...it seems for every aspect of your life , a decision has to be made.

Having work will turn things around I know, just need to decide housing.... go with another short term let for ease or get a longer rental....

If anyone else has had similar experiences, it would be good to hear from you. Actually just helps to write something down and get it off my chest!

Cheers.
Old Sep 7th 2009, 4:34 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 3 month panic!

If you've just started work then you should have a contract - that should be good enough for rental places. It was for us.

Furniture you can get it from ikea fairly cheaply - quite a few here have done that very thing. Be prepared to wait a week or two for it tho.
Old Sep 7th 2009, 4:43 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
If you've just started work then you should have a contract - that should be good enough for rental places.
Very few Canadian employers issue a contract, it exists merely by the fact you work there. If not contract exists, a letter from the employer should suffice.
Old Sep 7th 2009, 5:32 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Aviator
Very few Canadian employers issue a contract, it exists merely by the fact you work there. If not contract exists, a letter from the employer should suffice.
Hmm, that's all I had really. It was a one page letter signed by HR and me with my salary on it.
Old Sep 8th 2009, 3:48 am
Forum Regular

Kirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to all

When we moved into our apartment our landlord's agent asked for references and called the HR lady who my other half had been dealing with to get his work permit, he hadn't yet started in his job but I think they just wanted to check he had employment secured.

It took me over 5 months to find work here and it was a trying time but I coped pretty well, I wouldn't have if it wasn't for the support of everyone back home reassuring me everything would work out. All is sorted now but I do still have my little bouts of "why don't I just go home?" syndrome, I have been feeling a little homesick again recently but it passes again, just another case of everything would be easier back home thinking, but really it probably wouldn't.

Honestly don't worry, everything has a strange way of sorting itself out!
Old Sep 8th 2009, 3:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Vancouver, BC (originally from Huddersfield, W. Yorkshire)
adele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

I just wanted to see feel free to PM me to arrange a meet up - I moved here on my own too without a job so I know how overwhelming it can all be. I'd be happy to meet up at some point for a chat

Good luck with starting the job, and like I said - just shout if you want to arrange something!

Take care

Adele x
Old Sep 8th 2009, 10:01 pm
Just Joined

MissE73 is a jewel in the roughMissE73 is a jewel in the roughMissE73 is a jewel in the roughMissE73 is a jewel in the rough

Hi, I'm just about to embark on a move to Canada on my own too, in fact my flight out is this Sunday 13th... scary! I have not got a job yet either. I have managed to secure an apartment though, 12 month lease. It is with rental company, and they just needed references and proof that I had enough money to cover the rent for at least 6 months, until I get a job. It is unfurnished, so I too plan to make a trip to Ikea. I'll invest in an airbed whilst I await delivery.... that's the plan any way. I am worried about the job situation, and do hope I can get something within 3 months, as I'd rather not have to spend all my savings! Good luck with the new job
Old Sep 9th 2009, 2:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

ga1lf is just really nicega1lf is just really nicega1lf is just really nicega1lf is just really nicega1lf is just really nicega1lf is just really nicega1lf is just really nicega1lf is just really nice

I am due to move in December and would like to try to secure an apartment prior to arrival (save spending money on a hotel). Any of you that was able to do this, while still in the UK, can you give me some names of rental agencies you tried. I don't mind showing proof of funds etc. as I to am arriving without a job lined up.
Old Sep 9th 2009, 2:24 pm
Forum Regular

coal has a spectacular aura aboutcoal has a spectacular aura aboutcoal has a spectacular aura about

Thanks for all your replies. I am still waiting to hear about work.....was meant to hear yesterday but not a dickie bird....and they were talking about starting tomorrow!!! I have heard Canadian employers are legendary for making you wait....I am living on my nerves!!!
Old Sep 9th 2009, 2:31 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ga1lf
I am due to move in December and would like to try to secure an apartment prior to arrival (save spending money on a hotel). Any of you that was able to do this, while still in the UK, can you give me some names of rental agencies you tried. I don't mind showing proof of funds etc. as I to am arriving without a job lined up.
I don't know where you are intending to move to but if it is Vancouver, the Olympics are having a big effect on rentals leading up to the event in February. A lot of landlords are renting out their apartments for excessive amounts of money during January and February. There now seems to be less long term rentals available than earlier in the year. However, once the games are over there should be a lot of nice places on the market again. www.craigslist.ca is where a lot of people find apartments.
Old Sep 9th 2009, 2:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

ga1lf is just really nicega1lf is just really nicega1lf is just really nicega1lf is just really nicega1lf is just really nicega1lf is just really nicega1lf is just really nicega1lf is just really nice

Cheers, been keeping my eye on Craig's list but was looking for other options. My timing isn't the best, with the Olympics but I need to get a project under way for my current employers, so its the easiest I can leave - could wait until after Xmas but an old saying states 'What you do on New Years day, you do for the rest of the year', I plan on being in Canada.
Old Sep 9th 2009, 2:45 pm
Forum Regular

What sort of apartment are you looking for? How many beds? Budget? Where?
Furnished / Unfurnished? I could keep an eye out for you while I'm looking.
Old Sep 9th 2009, 3:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thank you for the offer, I have sent you a PM with details but even names of websites would prove helpful.