Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

3 and a bit weeks to go!? Scared...

3 and a bit weeks to go!? Scared...

Old Jul 2nd 2008, 6:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

bandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond repute
Default 3 and a bit weeks to go!? Scared...

Hello fellow peeps!!!

I am just starting to get really nervous now, and wondering (again) if I'm doing the right thing. People I tell keep asking me why on earth would I want to go, esp as I don't really know anyone there - apart from the BE-ers I met in Jan, and that I have no family there????

Also I got a letter from my Auntie today who's fairly old and never married, and her words make me cry. She lives in Dublin and chances of seeing her again aren't great really, unless my brother gets married soon, and then she'll come to Houston....... Gosh, I'm crying as I write this?

Well, the house is a complete tip, boxes and bags everywhere, things to take, things to go to charity, things to go and live @ mum's and so on. It's doing my head in....

I booked my flights, have somewhere to stay in Vancouver for a few weeks, mum bought me 2 new suitcases, house is rented, and generally the tick list is being eaten up....yet I still can't imagine having everything done on time...

Last night was my works leaving do, even though I don't leave till 18th July, and I admit to having one too many Pinot's... Tonight is BBQ with the neighbours, then it's mission of seeing friends this w/end including a mamoth drive to north Wales (I could do without it!!!!)...

Rabbled on long enough...

Bx
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 6:31 pm
Citizenship Nov 10 2016!!

nikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 3 and a bit weeks to go!? Scared...

Originally Posted by bandit
Hello fellow peeps!!!

I am just starting to get really nervous now, and wondering (again) if I'm doing the right thing. People I tell keep asking me why on earth would I want to go, esp as I don't really know anyone there - apart from the BE-ers I met in Jan, and that I have no family there????

Also I got a letter from my Auntie today who's fairly old and never married, and her words make me cry. She lives in Dublin and chances of seeing her again aren't great really, unless my brother gets married soon, and then she'll come to Houston....... Gosh, I'm crying as I write this?

Well, the house is a complete tip, boxes and bags everywhere, things to take, things to go to charity, things to go and live @ mum's and so on. It's doing my head in....

I booked my flights, have somewhere to stay in Vancouver for a few weeks, mum bought me 2 new suitcases, house is rented, and generally the tick list is being eaten up....yet I still can't imagine having everything done on time...

Last night was my works leaving do, even though I don't leave till 18th July, and I admit to having one too many Pinot's... Tonight is BBQ with the neighbours, then it's mission of seeing friends this w/end including a mamoth drive to north Wales (I could do without it!!!!)...

Bx
Good luck Bandit, I suppose its the fact that it is getting soo close now and all becoming a reality that also making it a bit scary.

Hold on to everything you have been able to do and makesure you enjoy your last bit of time here in the UK. You have a whole new life waiting for you
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 7:39 pm
is Happy

Tanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to behold

Good luck Bandit! You'll do fine I'm sure.

My time to move is also drawing nearer ( Aug / Sept) and I've started getting jitters - am I doing the right thing? what if I hate it? what about my parents, will i see them as often as I hope too? will they visit us? will they stop being upset / mad at me?

I've convinced myself these are all normal things to worry about and I keep in the forefront of my mind - " I can come back if i don't like it / it doesn't work out"

All the best and hope all your Canadian dreams come true xx
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 7:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Coffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond repute

Hello fellow peeps!!!

Bx

Awwww B expect it will be up and down now till your on that plane,

Hope theres not too many downs for you, Ditto what ND said, enjoy your time here even the drive to wales, its lovely countryside, wish you luck with everything
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 9:30 pm

terese677 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello fellow peeps!!!

Bx
Hi
We were exactly the same, you wouldn't be normal if you didn't have some wobbles. We have no family here just us and I felt the same about my 92 year old nan, chances are I will not see her again., You're starting a new chapter, you can write often , send photos, I'm sure family will love to see all your new piccies.
Where in Vancouver are you going ?I bet there's people in that vicinity to meet up with, you'll be fine there's loads of us to talk to, I know I wouldn't have managed without everyone here
All the best
Terese
Old Jul 3rd 2008, 1:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Arrona is a splendid one to beholdArrona is a splendid one to beholdArrona is a splendid one to beholdArrona is a splendid one to beholdArrona is a splendid one to beholdArrona is a splendid one to beholdArrona is a splendid one to beholdArrona is a splendid one to beholdArrona is a splendid one to beholdArrona is a splendid one to beholdArrona is a splendid one to behold

Hello fellow peeps!!!

Bx
i was the same as you, as nobody really understands why you are doing it. it is very hard to say goodbye and there is the added stress of packing etc. you will feel every emotion leading up to when you leave but it just natural to feel like that. the week before we left i was saying goodbye everyday and always ended in tears. but deep down i knew there would be more positives when we moved.
i have only been here since 4th of may and i feel very much at home. within the first week my daughter had settled in at school and made friends and said she wanted to stay forever. i know we made the right move. there was a thousand reasons for leaving and only a few to stay.
good luck. hope it all goes well