Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

25 photographs taken at the Exact Right Time...

25 photographs taken at the Exact Right Time...

Old Nov 10th 2007, 10:01 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 25 photographs taken at the Exact Right Time...

Oh what it must feel like to capture one like any of these.

25 photographs taken at the Exact Right Time

Also here are some really nice pictures taken of Shrewsbury at night. No they are not mine but I'm think of buying the same model camera used to take them and would love to able to take some like these.

Shrewsbury in Soft Light click on the thumbnails to see the larger images.

Last edited by Steve_P; Nov 10th 2007 at 10:36 pm.
Old Nov 10th 2007, 10:33 pm
riding the saltchuck

Edna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 25 photographs taken at the Exact Right Time...

Wow they're incredible. I was particularly struck with the tank one, not that I'm any good at photography.
Old Nov 11th 2007, 12:07 am
BE Enthusiast

flipflop has a reputation beyond reputeflipflop has a reputation beyond reputeflipflop has a reputation beyond reputeflipflop has a reputation beyond reputeflipflop has a reputation beyond reputeflipflop has a reputation beyond reputeflipflop has a reputation beyond reputeflipflop has a reputation beyond reputeflipflop has a reputation beyond reputeflipflop has a reputation beyond reputeflipflop has a reputation beyond repute

brilliant pics, especially shrewsbury.
Old Nov 11th 2007, 2:07 am
BE Forum Addict

steve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_P
Oh what it must feel like to capture one like any of these.

25 photographs taken at the Exact Right Time

Also here are some really nice pictures taken of Shrewsbury at night. No they are not mine but I'm think of buying the same model camera used to take them and would love to able to take some like these.

Shrewsbury in Soft Light click on the thumbnails to see the larger images.
The Canon EOS 40D is a good camera, if it wasn't for the fact that my previous cameras were 35mm Minoltas and when I went digital the Sony a100 was the only DSLR that the Minolta lenses (of which I have a few) fitted, I would have bought a Canon. Having taken photos in England at dusk and evening I'm pretty certain some of those photos have been retouched in Photoshop or similar. Blue skies at night? Excellent photos anyway, touched up or not.
Old Nov 11th 2007, 2:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Mountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Great pictures Steve !
Old Nov 11th 2007, 4:04 am

Originally Posted by steve666
The Canon EOS 40D is a good camera, if it wasn't for the fact that my previous cameras were 35mm Minoltas and when I went digital the Sony a100 was the only DSLR that the Minolta lenses (of which I have a few) fitted, I would have bought a Canon. Having taken photos in England at dusk and evening I'm pretty certain some of those photos have been retouched in Photoshop or similar. Blue skies at night? Excellent photos anyway, touched up or not.
I'm thinking I'll replace my now four year old Canon Digital Rebel/300D with the 40D. Don't know anyone that wants to buy it do you?

The photographer openly admits the use of photoshop, levels, curves and a little colour balance, but if you look at the exposure times I'm pretty sure they'll go some way to explain the skies. He had to have used a tripod the shortest exposure time is one second and there a few at thirty seconds.

Last edited by Steve_P; Nov 11th 2007 at 4:13 am.
Old Nov 11th 2007, 4:51 am
Forum Regular

bobbiel has much to be proud ofbobbiel has much to be proud ofbobbiel has much to be proud ofbobbiel has much to be proud ofbobbiel has much to be proud ofbobbiel has much to be proud ofbobbiel has much to be proud ofbobbiel has much to be proud ofbobbiel has much to be proud ofbobbiel has much to be proud ofbobbiel has much to be proud of

I'm thinking I'll replace my now four year old Canon Digital Rebel/300D with the 40D. Don't know anyone that wants to buy it do you?

The photographer openly admits the use of photoshop, levels, curves and a little colour balance, but if you look at the exposure times I'm pretty sure they'll go some way to explain the skies. He had to have used a tripod the shortest exposure time is one second and there a few at thirty seconds.
================================================== ======
Steve, I might have a buyer for the 300d, in Calgary, pm me with details if its still up for grabs
Old Nov 11th 2007, 5:14 am
BE Forum Addict

steve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't read any of what you speak on exposure times, the exposure time would have given the brighter skies, but the blue? No...
I did a photo with muddy grey skies once and used the tint command and pippet filler tool (can't remember it's real name) to make the sky on the horizon blue, looked odd though. You use CS2 don't you?
Old Nov 11th 2007, 2:42 pm

I didn't read any of what you speak on exposure times, the exposure time would have given the brighter skies, but the blue? No...
Clear night, late dusk almost dark, long exposure would give you blue I think. It must be clear once in a while in Shrewsbury?

I did a photo with muddy grey skies once and used the tint command and pippet filler tool (can't remember it's real name) to make the sky on the horizon blue, looked odd though. You use CS2 don't you?
Yes I use CS2.

Speaking of CS2 and post processing what do you think of this one:http://www.azcolt.com/November072007.asp the one in the middle is mine.

Last edited by Steve_P; Nov 11th 2007 at 3:38 pm.
Old Nov 11th 2007, 6:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Clear night, late dusk almost dark, long exposure would give you blue I think. It must be clear once in a while in Shrewsbury?

Yes I use CS2.

Speaking of CS2 and post processing what do you think of this one:http://www.azcolt.com/November072007.asp the one in the middle is mine.
Your photo, bloody lovely scenary! Which leads me on to a question...Have you got that photo in raw format? Only I'm practising black and white in Photoshop CS3 and I only have a limited raw stock to work on, this photo is exactly what I'm looking for. If you do have it raw, as it were, may I have a copy? Emailed? If you pm me I'll give you a mail address. Pretty please?? I promise I won't use it for profit
Old Nov 11th 2007, 7:39 pm

Your photo, bloody lovely scenary! Which leads me on to a question...Have you got that photo in raw format? Only I'm practising black and white in Photoshop CS3 and I only have a limited raw stock to work on, this photo is exactly what I'm looking for. If you do have it raw, as it were, may I have a copy? Emailed? If you pm me I'll give you a mail address. Pretty please?? I promise I won't use it for profit
Sorry don't have it in RAW.

I don't normally shoot RAW format although I did try it a couple of years ago. I'll go through and see if I can find something similar.

I found that even though RAW gave you all sorts of leeway for processing it was for the most part just an extra step in the processing that I didn't want to do. Although when I did the wedding shoot for my sons friend I used RAW as you can correct more errors with RAW.
Old Nov 11th 2007, 7:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sorry don't have it in RAW.

I don't normally shoot RAW format although I did try it a couple of years ago. I'll go through and see if I can find something similar.

I found that even though RAW gave you all sorts of leeway for processing it was for the most part just an extra step in the processing that I didn't want to do. Although when I did the wedding shoot for my sons friend I used RAW as you can correct more errors with RAW.
aw shucks, I only photograph in raw format now. Photoshop gives masses of possibilities to edit the picture in this format and so get the desired image.

When you get your new camera get a large size image data card, 4 gig or something and save ALL your photos in raw format. On the Canon (as on my Sony) you can even set the camera to take a raw AND a jpg at the same time, so you have both formats, so if you just want to download the jpeg to a PC to show other people without the editing bit you can, then later get the perfect photo from the raw data. Do it Steve, don't argue, you'll thank me when you're famous.
Shame about the mountain photo though, I was looking forward to playing with it.
Old Nov 11th 2007, 8:57 pm

Do it Steve, don't argue, you'll thank me when you're famous.
But I don't want to be famous.