Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

2010 and running a pi** up in a brewery

2010 and running a pi** up in a brewery

Old Feb 3rd 2010, 10:29 am
BE Enthusiast

canadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to behold
Default 2010 and running a pi** up in a brewery

A visiting friend commented on how disappointing Vancouver was not least having nothing much celebrating the olympics apart from that stupid countdown clock. Well I suppose we should feel thankful that it's one that counts down instead of farting.

We're days away from an important event which has consumed loads of public money and the city is doing nothing to celebrate it. What's with these people? Are they just so geeked up in coffee shops, skyping each other, to care that in a few days this place is going to be on global television, who will no doubt notice the lack of celebration and hype. We need this if the cost of the games is going to be justified from a business sense and not just pull the city into recession further.

I've always said about the folk in Vancouver that vancouverites couldn't organize a piss up in a brewery. Well we'll see what they do with a major international event. But I have my skepticism.

Last edited by canadian_critic; Feb 3rd 2010 at 10:30 am. Reason: type
Old Feb 3rd 2010, 10:35 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2010 and running a pi** up in a brewery

Originally Posted by canadian_critic
I've always said about the folk in Vancouver that vancouverites couldn't organize a piss up in a brewery. Well we'll see what they do with a major international event. But I have my skepticism.
My wife is very organised, thank you very much, and i take offence at your comment

That said, at least you're telling us all that you're rubbish too, being in Vancouver.
Old Feb 3rd 2010, 1:19 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

I take it you haven't been in Vancouver long enough to remember Expo 86 then? I visited vancouver that summer, the whole organization seemed to work pretty smoothly and most Vancouverites I spoke to thought it was a very well run event. The city is still reaping the infrastructure benefits of the Expo 24 years later.

You really have no idea what you're talking about, have you?
Old Feb 3rd 2010, 1:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Strawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to behold

A visiting friend commented on how disappointing Vancouver was not least having nothing much celebrating the olympics apart from that stupid countdown clock. Well I suppose we should feel thankful that it's one that counts down instead of farting.

We're days away from an important event which has consumed loads of public money and the city is doing nothing to celebrate it. What's with these people? Are they just so geeked up in coffee shops, skyping each other, to care that in a few days this place is going to be on global television, who will no doubt notice the lack of celebration and hype. We need this if the cost of the games is going to be justified from a business sense and not just pull the city into recession further.

Are you a bit of a wind up merchant??
Old Feb 3rd 2010, 1:28 pm
BE Troll

Lord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps you should wait until it starts? Just a thought.
Old Feb 3rd 2010, 1:34 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

He spends all his time looking for and writing negative things about Canada. He's a bit of a pathetic case. We should all feel for him and pray he is soon released from his living hell.
Old Feb 3rd 2010, 1:34 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

We're days away from an important event which has consumed loads of public money and the city is doing nothing to celebrate it.
You mean the two weeks of the games itself isnt enough for you? Havent they spent enough as it is? Wont the event itself be a celebration? Everyone knows that Vancouver is hosting the games surely, so why not let the games speak for themselves when they actually happen eh!

I have no doubt that the games themselves will be extremely well run and a great success. At $6bn they had bloody well better be, because as parties go, that one is going to carry quite the hangover for the people of BC. My bigger problem is that I just dont really care about the olympics anymore, its just another big business, corporate sponsored gravy train, and I think that Baron de Coubertin is probably spinning in his grave at what his Olympic amateur ideals have warped into.

Last edited by iaink; Feb 3rd 2010 at 1:39 pm.
Old Feb 3rd 2010, 1:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Auld Yin
He spends all his time looking for and writing negative things about Canada. He's a bit of a pathetic case. We should all feel for him and pray he is soon released from his living hell.
OK, this thread is pants but, just because someone wishes to say negative things about Canada, it doesn't mean they are pathetic. Not everyone thinks that Canada smells completely rosey, there are other viewpoints you know
Old Feb 3rd 2010, 1:51 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
OK, this thread is pants but, just because someone wishes to say negative things about Canada, it doesn't mean they are pathetic. Not everyone thinks that Canada smells completely rosey, there are other viewpoints you know
Calgary is crap and everybody who lives there are dirty, inbred, cowboy hat wearing horse-worriers. And that's just the women
Old Feb 3rd 2010, 1:57 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

What should we be doing? How will celebrating before the games justify the expense?
Old Feb 3rd 2010, 1:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Strawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by el_richo
Calgary is crap and everybody who lives there are dirty, inbred, cowboy hat wearing horse-worriers. And that's just the women
Old Feb 3rd 2010, 2:23 pm
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

I saw a couple of ugly women in Regina a few years back.

I was standing in Lloydminster at the time.
Old Feb 3rd 2010, 2:25 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

...and your point is?
Old Feb 3rd 2010, 2:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

And there was I, thinking you had never been to Calgary. How wrong I was
Old Feb 3rd 2010, 3:02 pm
Beep

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
And there was I, thinking you had never been to Calgary. How wrong I was

I actually visited Calgary "proper" for the first time last year. Had a chinese meal in a place in Okotoks (lovely food it was, didn't think much to Okotoks though), and a crappy Italian meal somewhere downtown.

I was expecting something likened to a Spaghetti Western but was surprised of the lack of tumbleweed and spittoons.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.