Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

2 years since I posted and we got to Canada!

2 years since I posted and we got to Canada!

Old Aug 28th 2007, 7:54 pm
Forum Regular

Canada Bound is on a distinguished road
Default 2 years since I posted and we got to Canada!

I cannot believe how quickly time has gone by, when I last posted we were frustrated trying to sell the house with visa's tucked safely away, since then we have moved to Ontario, had a planeful of visitors (OK it felt like it) and set up home where I still have to do the usual daily chores but also feel like we are in heaven. We moved out Jan 06 and came up to Wasaga Beach to the rental property which we had pre-arranged in the UK, our first couple of weeks were spent doing the necessaries required of newly landed immgrants, SIN numbers, registering for OHIP even though the 90 day waiting period applies, exchange driv lic, meet up with bank (HSBC in Barrie, who are excellent), then came the fun bits house and car shopping.
The first few weeks were tough admittedly but we dealt with the blows that were to creep up on us and moved forwards, one of the first hits was that we wanted to buy one car to begin with to avoid unnecessary rental costs and whilst we could have done an outright purchase we felt we needed to start building our credit rating but despite having a letter from the HSBC showing our financial position and other written references indicating we were a good risk we were declined, however our friends at the bank resolved the matter plus we got a better rate. The next blow was that again with letters from Direct Line and also my OH co fleet insurance confirming max NCB etc. the first quote we were given was $4200,however after shopping around we got down to $2200 that being on a new Honda Civic, we are both 40+ with clean records.
We did purchase our home within 3 weeks but we knew the area well and had previously been in contact with the builder before leaving the UK, so 3 months after we arrived we were in our new home which we feel so lucky to have and could never have back in blighty, we are on a custom estate with almost an acre surrounded by farmland. We got our children into school within 3 weks of arriving and they are so settled and happy, however while most things were going well we still had the anxiety of my husband not securing any form of work (he was a project mgr in engineering in the UK) and added to that Bell Canada (BT equivalent) said it would be 2 mths before they could get a phone on for us as no lines were installed, however at the time he was knocking on all the doors possible and we really felt it was a case of 'not what you know but who you know' and we cannot emphasize enough the need to network whoever it may be with - the librarian, parents at school etc. as you never know who knows somebody . Thankfully after 5 mths he started work and although he was v lucky he managed to get back with a sister co of his former employers in the UK for the previous 25 years, this brought back his benefits of 5 weeks hols- yes its true, a co car with gas etc, the downside that he commutes 1.5 daily each way to the GTA. Since arriving I have done vol work in my son's elementary school which has led to the odd day of paid supply work.
Whilst we were awaiting our visas in the UK I loved to read others' accounts of their early days in Canada and some of their info was of great help to us, but one thing that nobody can prepare you for is the emotional turmoil, which everybody I am sure will encounter but has to deal with in their own way and there is a lot to be said for sitting the first few months out, at the time I could quite easily have done a u-turn but for us it was never an option and despite doing extensive research, in hindsight we could not have done anthing differently. We have 2 sons aged 16 & 6 and really feel for Mandi as our teenager is having a wonderful safe life here, back in the UK he was indoors a lot on a PS2 because he was frightened that he could have been mugged for his bike etc but he has just had a fantastic summer and has more friends than time allows to spend with them (his accent has helped him!) Our younger son is v contented with the freedom, safety and the odd deer which may come by!
We always knew we wanted to settle in the Collingwood/Wasaga Beach area following our reccie trip and for us we have made a good decision, we have the big box stores in Barrie only 0.5 hr away and having read a thread referring to Wasaga Beach as the Disneyland north to be, I must add that everybody's needs are different and as parents we need to give our boys a little more than a totally rural community without a big town feel, so I would never try to deter anybody but rather encourage them to do their own homework and see if it works for them, added to that the blueprints we have seen for the future developing look very exciting and will certainly put the area on a par with the cosmpolitan 'Village at Blue Mountain' and yes the small town does get busy in the summer but as a resident like anywhere else you soon get to know the short cuts and being thoroughly surrounded by farmland space is no issue.
Well that is our account of our first 18 mths in Canada and we still pinch ourselves as we sit on our deck under the stars following a superb summer that we 'got there', we have a life that does not compare with our former UK lives and have achieved more in Canada in this space of time than we could have ever grasped before we had retired back in blighty, we were simply treading water and srtuggling to see the future for our children. It's hard, It's a long wait but it is truly worth it.
If you are looking to locate in the Barrie or surrounding area's feel free to contact us and I have to thank whoever mentioned the Nawab restaurant in Barrie, apart from family etc we do miss a curry so guess where we are heading this long weekend, certainly nearer than Brampton!
Helen
Old Aug 28th 2007, 7:59 pm
Thinking the unthinkable.

Madmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2 years since I posted and we got to Canada!

Thanks for the update.

Glad to hear that you've settled in well and are enjoying life. Best wishes for the future.
Old Aug 28th 2007, 8:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

newshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond repute

That's so heartening to read. Great to hear your family is doing so well.
Old Aug 28th 2007, 8:06 pm
spring is coming yeha

steved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nice

Good for you look forward to seeing you in november
Old Aug 28th 2007, 8:11 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Steve,

Where have you bought your home? sorry for being curious and yes would be good to see you when you get here! There is also another British family arriving Nov, we're taking over and a week never goes by when I am in the Superstore doing our grocery shop without hearing an accent from home and needless to say we end up chatting
Helen
Old Aug 28th 2007, 9:21 pm
Forum Regular

brit274 is a jewel in the roughbrit274 is a jewel in the roughbrit274 is a jewel in the roughbrit274 is a jewel in the roughbrit274 is a jewel in the rough

Hi,

What a great post. It's so refreshing to read a positive post about Canada these days instead of the negative stuff you read so often on here.

Goodluck,

Michael
Old Aug 28th 2007, 9:22 pm
spring is coming yeha

steved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nice

Originally Posted by brit274
Hi,

What a great post. It's so refreshing to read a positive post about Canada these days instead of the negative stuff you read so often on here.

Goodluck,

Michael

well said i totally agree

steve
Old Aug 28th 2007, 9:23 pm
spring is coming yeha

Originally Posted by Canada Bound
Hi Steve,

Where have you bought your home? sorry for being curious and yes would be good to see you when you get here! There is also another British family arriving Nov, we're taking over and a week never goes by when I am in the Superstore doing our grocery shop without hearing an accent from home and needless to say we end up chatting
Helen
who else is going over in Nov?

steve
Old Aug 28th 2007, 9:36 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations on settling in so well, Helen. Thank you for the update. The information will be useful to others who are planning to come over to Canada.

I found your post difficult to read, because it was one long paragraph. I am going to take the liberty of re-posting your message with paragraph breaks:

I cannot believe how quickly time has gone by, when I last posted we were frustrated trying to sell the house with visa's tucked safely away, since then we have moved to Ontario, had a planeful of visitors (OK it felt like it) and set up home where I still have to do the usual daily chores but also feel like we are in heaven. We moved out Jan 06 and came up to Wasaga Beach to the rental property which we had pre-arranged in the UK, our first couple of weeks were spent doing the necessaries required of newly landed immgrants, SIN numbers, registering for OHIP even though the 90 day waiting period applies, exchange driv lic, meet up with bank (HSBC in Barrie, who are excellent), then came the fun bits house and car shopping.

The first few weeks were tough admittedly but we dealt with the blows that were to creep up on us and moved forwards, one of the first hits was that we wanted to buy one car to begin with to avoid unnecessary rental costs and whilst we could have done an outright purchase we felt we needed to start building our credit rating but despite having a letter from the HSBC showing our financial position and other written references indicating we were a good risk we were declined, however our friends at the bank resolved the matter plus we got a better rate. The next blow was that again with letters from Direct Line and also my OH co fleet insurance confirming max NCB etc. the first quote we were given was $4200,however after shopping around we got down to $2200 that being on a new Honda Civic, we are both 40+ with clean records.

We did purchase our home within 3 weeks but we knew the area well and had previously been in contact with the builder before leaving the UK, so 3 months after we arrived we were in our new home which we feel so lucky to have and could never have back in blighty, we are on a custom estate with almost an acre surrounded by farmland.

We got our children into school within 3 weks of arriving and they are so settled and happy,

however while most things were going well we still had the anxiety of my husband not securing any form of work (he was a project mgr in engineering in the UK) -- and added to that Bell Canada (BT equivalent) said it would be 2 mths before they could get a phone on for us as no lines were installed -- however at the time he was knocking on all the doors possible and we really felt it was a case of 'not what you know but who you know' and we cannot emphasize enough the need to network whoever it may be with - the librarian, parents at school etc. as you never know who knows somebody .

Thankfully after 5 mths he started work and although he was v lucky he managed to get back with a sister co of his former employers in the UK for the previous 25 years, this brought back his benefits of 5 weeks hols- yes its true, a co car with gas etc, the downside that he commutes 1.5 daily each way to the GTA.

Since arriving I have done vol work in my son's elementary school which has led to the odd day of paid supply work.

Whilst we were awaiting our visas in the UK I loved to read others' accounts of their early days in Canada and some of their info was of great help to us, but one thing that nobody can prepare you for is the emotional turmoil, which everybody I am sure will encounter but has to deal with in their own way and there is a lot to be said for sitting the first few months out, at the time I could quite easily have done a u-turn but for us it was never an option and despite doing extensive research, in hindsight we could not have done anthing differently.

We have 2 sons aged 16 & 6 and really feel for Mandi as our teenager is having a wonderful safe life here, back in the UK he was indoors a lot on a PS2 because he was frightened that he could have been mugged for his bike etc but he has just had a fantastic summer and has more friends than time allows to spend with them (his accent has helped him!) Our younger son is v contented with the freedom, safety and the odd deer which may come by!

We always knew we wanted to settle in the Collingwood/Wasaga Beach area following our reccie trip and for us we have made a good decision, we have the big box stores in Barrie only 0.5 hr away and having read a thread referring to Wasaga Beach as the Disneyland north to be,

I must add that everybody's needs are different and as parents we need to give our boys a little more than a totally rural community without a big town feel, so I would never try to deter anybody but rather encourage them to do their own homework and see if it works for them,

added to that the blueprints we have seen for the future developing look very exciting and will certainly put the area on a par with the cosmpolitan 'Village at Blue Mountain' and yes the small town does get busy in the summer but as a resident like anywhere else you soon get to know the short cuts and being thoroughly surrounded by farmland space is no issue.

Well that is our account of our first 18 mths in Canada and we still pinch ourselves as we sit on our deck under the stars following a superb summer that we 'got there', we have a life that does not compare with our former UK lives and have achieved more in Canada in this space of time than we could have ever grasped before we had retired back in blighty, we were simply treading water and srtuggling to see the future for our children. It's hard, It's a long wait but it is truly worth it.

If you are looking to locate in the Barrie or surrounding area's feel free to contact us and I have to thank whoever mentioned the Nawab restaurant in Barrie, apart from family etc we do miss a curry so guess where we are heading this long weekend, certainly nearer than Brampton!

Helen
Old Aug 29th 2007, 12:53 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Glad to hear your settling into your new life so well, I also agree it's great to hear another positive post!
Old Aug 29th 2007, 1:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Good post - congrats on your first 18 months - good to hear some other 'muddling along nicely' posts !
Old Aug 29th 2007, 2:44 am
Forum Regular

Thanks to you all for your good wishes and whilst some of you are already here I hope you are experincing the same good fortune and to those who are stalking their postman for the brown envelopes from CHC, without sounding patronising please stick with it, it really is a dream worth waiting for. Good luck.

Helen
Old Aug 29th 2007, 9:12 pm
Forum Regular

dollyhill is a jewel in the roughdollyhill is a jewel in the roughdollyhill is a jewel in the roughdollyhill is a jewel in the rough

Hello Helen, I have just joined the forum today and was lucky enough to read your message. We are a family with two boys age 8 and 14. We live in Lancashire uk, but have been feeling unsettled for ages now with the life we have here, especially the yob culture.
We are looking at Canada but unsure as to what part. We enjoy historical sites, older houses and the beach.
My husband is an engineer, ( turner etc) and turns 44 at the end of January. I am into stone carving, but work as a stone finisher.
I am so pleased when I read a story of the waiting game followed by happiness forever!

Susan.
Old Aug 30th 2007, 2:00 am
BE Enthusiast

cneldred will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by steved61
who else is going over in Nov?

steve
We arrive in Wasaga in October and KatyM arrive in November/December i believe.

Chris
Old Aug 30th 2007, 3:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Maple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Canada Bound
We did purchase our home within 3 weeks but we knew the area well and had previously been in contact with the builder before leaving the UK, so 3 months after we arrived we were in our new home which we feel so lucky to have and could never have back in blighty, we are on a custom estate with almost an acre surrounded by farmland. We got our children into school within 3 weks of arriving and they are so settled and happy, however while most things were going well we still had the anxiety of my husband not securing any form of work (he was a project mgr in engineering in the UK) and added to that Bell Canada (BT equivalent) said it would be 2 mths before they could get a phone on for us as no lines were installed, however at the time he was knocking on all the doors possible and we really felt it was a case of 'not what you know but who you know' and we cannot emphasize enough the need to network whoever it may be with - the librarian, parents at school etc. as you never know who knows somebody . Thankfully after 5 mths he started work and although he was v lucky he managed to get back with a sister co of his former employers in the UK for the previous 25 years, this brought back his benefits of 5 weeks hols- yes its true, a co car with gas etc, the downside that he commutes 1.5 daily each way to the GTA. Since arriving I have done vol work in my son's elementary school which has led to the odd day of paid supply work.
Whilst we were awaiting our visas in the UK I loved to read others' accounts of their early days in Canada and some of their info was of great help to us, but one thing that nobody can prepare you for is the emotional turmoil, which everybody I am sure will encounter but has to deal with in their own way and there is a lot to be said for sitting the first few months out, at the time I could quite easily have done a u-turn but for us it was never an option and despite doing extensive research, in hindsight we could not have done anthing differently. We have 2 sons aged 16 & 6 and really feel for Mandi as our teenager is having a wonderful safe life here, back in the UK he was indoors a lot on a PS2 because he was frightened that he could have been mugged for his bike etc but he has just had a fantastic summer and has more friends than time allows to spend with them (his accent has helped him!) Our younger son is v contented with the freedom, safety and the odd deer which may come by!
We always knew we wanted to settle in the Collingwood/Wasaga Beach area following our reccie trip and for us we have made a good decision, we have the big box stores in Barrie only 0.5 hr away and having read a thread referring to Wasaga Beach as the Disneyland north to be, I must add that everybody's needs are different and as parents we need to give our boys a little more than a totally rural community without a big town feel, so I would never try to deter anybody but rather encourage them to do their own homework and see if it works for them, added to that the blueprints we have seen for the future developing look very exciting and will certainly put the area on a par with the cosmpolitan 'Village at Blue Mountain' and yes the small town does get busy in the summer but as a resident like anywhere else you soon get to know the short cuts and being thoroughly surrounded by farmland space is no issue.
Helen

HELLO!!! i remember you!...congrats on your arrival and wonderful life you are having.................i am soooo happy for your son......it gave me the biggest smile to read how he feels safe and able to enjoy his outdoor environment

i have a suggestion tho....there has been a few teens coming and posting here about some of their concerns in moving to Canada etc....and i was wondering if it may help them if your son...posted a brief thing in the youth forum about what it has been like for him...( i hope i am not being too forewared in that suggestion)...............i spose it is cos i have 16yr and 6 yr old step children who may be facing the possibility of moving to australia one day that i realy think of and feel for the kids.....and it certainly helps to hear positive stories like your families....

i so relate to the overwhelming feelings at time..of wanting to do a complete turnabout....i seem to be in the throws of that this week myself..but i know..this too shall pass!........once again so lovely to hear from you!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.