Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

**** MISSING - AMBER KIRWAN, NEW GLASGOW, NS ****

Wikiposts

**** MISSING - AMBER KIRWAN, NEW GLASGOW, NS ****

Old May 18th 2012, 5:36 am
Forum Regular

scheherazade has much to be proud ofscheherazade has much to be proud ofscheherazade has much to be proud ofscheherazade has much to be proud ofscheherazade has much to be proud ofscheherazade has much to be proud ofscheherazade has much to be proud ofscheherazade has much to be proud ofscheherazade has much to be proud ofscheherazade has much to be proud ofscheherazade has much to be proud of
Default Re: **** MISSING - AMBER KIRWAN, NEW GLASGOW, NS ****

Originally Posted by Maplease
Forgive my ignorance, but I'm genuinely interested. What you say about the victim impact statements, is that a Canadian thing or does it happen in the UK?

[/B]
http://www.cps.gov.uk/legal/v_to_z/v...nts/index.html
Old May 18th 2012, 5:48 am
Forum Regular

Maplease is a name known to allMaplease is a name known to allMaplease is a name known to allMaplease is a name known to allMaplease is a name known to allMaplease is a name known to allMaplease is a name known to allMaplease is a name known to allMaplease is a name known to allMaplease is a name known to allMaplease is a name known to all

Originally Posted by scheherazade
Thanks for the link. Really interesting and I had never heard of it before. Not being in the legal profession I wouldn't know, but is it something that is widely used? I'd like to think so. I would imagine it would go a long way to helping the victims.
Old May 18th 2012, 5:57 am
Forum Regular

scheherazade has much to be proud ofscheherazade has much to be proud ofscheherazade has much to be proud ofscheherazade has much to be proud ofscheherazade has much to be proud ofscheherazade has much to be proud ofscheherazade has much to be proud ofscheherazade has much to be proud ofscheherazade has much to be proud ofscheherazade has much to be proud ofscheherazade has much to be proud of

From what I've seen, they are pretty widely used but the quality and content vary according to the statement taker. If one hasn't been mentioned, Judges and Magistrates are known to enquire as to whether one exists.

It's pretty standard to ask a victim if they want to make such a statement. They can be a few extra lines added on to a statement of complaint or can be separate statements running into several pages. They can help provide context to a case so somebody who was burgled would usually make an initial statement listing what was missing but in a VPS might explain that the "plain gold band" stolen was of particular sentimental value because it belonged to their now-deceased wife and so on.