Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

**** MISSING - AMBER KIRWAN, NEW GLASGOW, NS ****

**** MISSING - AMBER KIRWAN, NEW GLASGOW, NS ****

Old May 17th 2012, 1:06 pm
Pictou County Superstar™

Greenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: **** MISSING - AMBER KIRWAN, NEW GLASGOW, NS ****

They are charging him with the murder this morning, I assume they've collected sufficient forensic evidence to prove it was him. http://www.ngnews.ca/News/Local/2012...g-and-murder/1

Clearly a bad judgement call was made in releasing him. If no one is held accountable for this then how do we move forward as a society and prevent similar crimes by released offenders?

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Did he admit to this? If not, how do you know this?

Why? Do you not accept that they, likely, had little personal knowledge of him and, likely, would have relied upon the expert evidence of others?
Old May 17th 2012, 1:14 pm
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point

I think AC's point was that there's a process to be followed- ie/ a trial, and until he hasnt been found guilty of anything.
Old May 17th 2012, 1:43 pm
Pictou County Superstar™

Greenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond repute

Of course, but they're charging him as they likely believe they have sufficient evidence to prove he committed the crime. Whether the process deems that he did it or didn't do it, surely that's just a matter of informed opinion which might serve only as a distraction from the reality that the safety of our community has probably, likely been put in jeopardy by a very bad decision on behalf of the parole board (and/or those who advise them).

They originally took Falconer back into custody on parole violation charges (a few weeks after the murder). "When Falconer was arrested he was found with a knife, three marijuana cigarettes and a magazine with two bullets."

Is there not also something wrong with that picture, that a convicted murderer, on parole, is able to procure such items and freely walk around with them in his possession?

Sorry for the rant... I'm extremely angry about all right now (as is probably very obvious) ... trying to calm down.

Originally Posted by jericho
I think AC's point was that there's a process to be followed- ie/ a trial, and until he hasnt been found guilty of anything.
Old May 17th 2012, 1:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Correct

I recall O.J. Simpson being charged and tried, ditto for Mr. Jackson, etc. One will never know if they did it and, if convicted, one is never certain the decision will be upheld on appeal.
Old May 17th 2012, 1:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Greenhill
Of course, but they're charging him as they likely believe they have sufficient evidence to prove he committed the crime. Whether the process deems that he did it or didn't do it, surely that's just a matter of informed opinion which might serve only as a distraction from the reality that the safety of our community has probably, likely been put in jeopardy by a very bad decision on behalf of the parole board (and/or those who advise them).

They originally took Falconer back into custody on parole violation charges (a few weeks after the murder). "When Falconer was arrested he was found with a knife, three marijuana cigarettes and a magazine with two bullets."

Is there not also something wrong with that picture, that a convicted murderer, on parole, is able to procure such items and freely walk around with them in his possession?

Sorry for the rant... I'm extremely angry about all right now (as is probably very obvious) ... trying to calm down.
Are you advocating for no parole for any offenders, ever? If not, how does one decide if they are safe to be released? Expert evidence, I would assume. Are you aware that the expert evidence was incorrect? Do you have any facts to support this? Hindsight is a wonderful thing.
Old May 17th 2012, 1:57 pm
Account Closed

You'll have seen in the news recently a University study that found a bloke in the US was wrongfully executed for a murder he didnt commit... despite all the evidence that showed, without "any reasonable doubt" he did it.

I'm inclined to agree with you that the police appear to have found her killer, but lets see the trial first... that's what they're for.
Old May 17th 2012, 1:57 pm
Pictou County Superstar™

And if expert evidence was incorrect, would we have a realistic chance of being told?

If a mistake has been made surely, either someone would take responsibility and resign OR we will never find out the truth (and nothing will change).

One of the articles mentioned that his previous request for parole had been denied because, at some recent point, Falconer has "sat on a member of staff".

I recall you mentioning that you worked in the prison service yourself. Surely, you must have experience that makes you feel that we should adapt, perhaps using the hindsight, rather than letting the blame spiral out into the system until the matters are long forgotten?

Are you advocating for no parole for any offenders, ever? If not, how does one decide if they are safe to be released? Expert evidence, I would assume. Are you aware that the expert evidence was incorrect? Do you have any facts to support this? Hindsight is a wonderful thing.
Old May 17th 2012, 1:59 pm
Account Closed

And if expert evidence was incorrect, would we have a realistic chance of being told?

If a mistake has been made surely, either someone would take responsibility and resign OR we will never find out the truth (and nothing will change).

One of the articles mentioned that his previous request for parole had been denied because, at some recent point, Falconer has "sat on a member of staff".

I recall you mentioning that you worked in the prison service yourself. Surely, you must have experience that makes you feel that we should adapt, perhaps using the hindsight, rather than letting the blame spiral out into the system until the matters are long forgotten?
FYI, this is on the news right now:
http://news.uk.msn.com/articles.aspx...ntid=250017358
Old May 17th 2012, 2:03 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

This, and the US case only serves to prove to me that I could NEVER find a person guilty in any case where the death sentence was involved, there have been just too many cases like these, in the UK one he is now free, in the US one he is still dead.
Old May 17th 2012, 2:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I also accept that very little in life come with a 100% guarantee. You will no doubt be aware from previous posts of mine that I have no issue with the death penalty in certain cases and that the vast majority of those incarcerated in England and Wales deserve little sympathy.

However, I have also attended criminal trials where the media's reporting of what occured bore little resemblence to what I saw and heard during the process that was being reported. As a result of this, trial by media is never appropriate. That is also the reason why I don't comment upon cases unless I have heard all of the evidence.

I am not defending anyone here and, of course, those that killed Amber should be brought to trial.
Old May 17th 2012, 2:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by mikelincs
This, and the US case only serves to prove to me that I could NEVER find a person guilty in any case where the death sentence was involved, there have been just too many cases like these, in the UK one he is now free, in the US one he is still dead.
What about the case going on in Norway involving Mr. Breivik at the moment?

He has admitted he did it, and has stated he is not insane. If this is correct, there is little doubt of his criminal responsibility and, if the death sentence was an option, why would it be wrong to convict him?
Old May 17th 2012, 2:17 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

I don't remember hearing about any campaign going on for that case. They're usually ones that go further back. That's a bit disturbing to see such a recent one.
Old May 17th 2012, 2:22 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

What about the case going on in Norway involving Mr. Breivik at the moment?

He has admitted he did it, and has stated he is not insane. If this is correct, there is little doubt of his criminal responsibility and, if the death sentence was an option, why would it be wrong to convict him?
He has admitted it, so no-one is involved in trying to decide his guilt or innocence, there is no jury deciding on his guilt or innocence.
Old May 17th 2012, 2:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I don't remember hearing about any campaign going on for that case. They're usually ones that go further back. That's a bit disturbing to see such a recent one.
Why is it "disturbing"? Juries, like individuals, can get it wrong. I know little about this case but the suggestion that every person convicted is guilty, just like the suggestion that every person acquitted is innocent, is nonsense.

Also note that, it would appear, further evidence was adduced during the appeal.

Why was he was released on bail?
Old May 17th 2012, 2:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by mikelincs
He has admitted it, so no-one is involved in trying to decide his guilt or innocence, there is no jury deciding on his guilt or innocence.
If juries are not appropriate arbiters if a death sentence is on the line, what makes them appropriate if incarceration is the sentence available?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.