Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Malta
Reload this Page >

What,s living in Malta really like?

What,s living in Malta really like?

Old Aug 23rd 2014, 10:21 am
Just Joined

Old Geezer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What,s living in Malta really like?

I recently went to Malta and was quite impressed. Unlike most Mediterranean countries everyone appears to understand ( and often use English. ) The Locals seem a decent bunch and at time one feels oneself in a British seaside resort with glorious sunshine. It would appear an ideal place for pensioner like myself to move to. But I noticed a large number of expats flogging trips around the Islands. How difficult would it be to live on a UK state pension in Malta. How expensive is a modest apartment to buy?
Please the reality of actually living in Malta!
Old Aug 23rd 2014, 7:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What,s living in Malta really like?

Originally Posted by Old Geezer
I recently went to Malta and was quite impressed. Unlike most Mediterranean countries everyone appears to understand ( and often use English. ) The Locals seem a decent bunch and at time one feels oneself in a British seaside resort with glorious sunshine. It would appear an ideal place for pensioner like myself to move to. But I noticed a large number of expats flogging trips around the Islands. How difficult would it be to live on a UK state pension in Malta. How expensive is a modest apartment to buy?
Please the reality of actually living in Malta!
Reality of living in Malta - its the best country ever. Its awesome

Except for the economy - which sucks. But by the sounds of it you won't be working so that won't be a problem.

A modest apartment is pretty cheap, circa 150,000 Euros for a newer one. Check www.franksalt.com.mt and www.belair.com.mt for let and sale listings. The latter has a really nice video of Malta on it as well.

The locals are a great bunch, mostly very hospitable and they like Brits mostly.
Old Aug 27th 2014, 8:31 am
Just Joined

Old Geezer is an unknown quantity at this point

Don't like that mostly bit!
Old Aug 27th 2014, 1:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Old Geezer
Don't like that mostly bit!
Well aside from being hospitable the locals (at least the ones in the part of Malta I am from) are known for being very racist and backwards, and extremely catholic.
Old Sep 14th 2014, 11:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

Thats odd Gozit..Apart from that I thought it was also the European hub for the Occult/Witchcraft?
Old Sep 14th 2014, 2:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by GeniB
Thats odd Gozit..Apart from that I thought it was also the European hub for the Occult/Witchcraft?
Unless its been infiltrated by Polly since I was last there i'm afraid you're starkly wrong. Its unfortunately ridden with god botherers who think such witchcraft is work of the devil
Old Sep 14th 2014, 4:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

My Bro lives there Gozit..and is quite the authority on all things! Maltese !! (or so he thinks) will be interesting to find out if he is wrong on this one..will hasten to look it up...as I am sure your doing as I type.....and your closer
Old Sep 14th 2014, 5:09 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gozit
Unless its been infiltrated by Polly since I was last there i'm afraid you're starkly wrong. Its unfortunately ridden with god botherers who think such witchcraft is work of the devil
By absolute pure chance I have just seen this and nearly choked on my late night bacon sandwich!!
I haven't infiltrated it, my aunty wnent there about 40 years ago and loved it, but had to come home to Herefordshire. Beyond that i don't think I have any knoledge of the place....!!!!
Old Sep 14th 2014, 6:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

My Bro lives there Gozit..and is quite the authority on all things! Maltese !! (or so he thinks) will be interesting to find out if he is wrong on this one..will hasten to look it up...as I am sure your doing as I type.....and your closer
We'll see what he says I'm just going by experience and having Maltese grandparents that are said type of god botherers.

Originally Posted by Pollyana
By absolute pure chance I have just seen this and nearly choked on my late night bacon sandwich!!
I haven't infiltrated it, my aunty wnent there about 40 years ago and loved it, but had to come home to Herefordshire. Beyond that i don't think I have any knoledge of the place....!!!!
Old Sep 16th 2014, 6:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Will be heading over there from OZ in November to check out future possibilities. On two previous short visits was very impressed. This visit will be a little over two weeks, so hopefully long enough to make a real impression on longer term feasibility.

Will spend equal time on both islands.
Old Sep 16th 2014, 11:58 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gozit
Well aside from being hospitable the locals (at least the ones in the part of Malta I am from) are known for being very racist and backwards, and extremely catholic.
Maltese are no different than Brits. A Brit in Malta is no different than a Brit living in the UK - both have attitude. A Maltese in the UK would be a fish out of water. Brit in Malta is a big fish in a little pond.

Malta is slow, very slow. Apart from that like many other places - if you have money, you'll be fine.

My advice is not to buy in Malta - always rent because you do not want to be in a burst bubble like what happen in Spain
Old Sep 17th 2014, 8:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

YEP Gozit...Apparantly you have quite the Pagan presence in Malta..Check out Dr Kathryn Rountree..wrote a book about it in 2006
Old Sep 17th 2014, 8:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sorry to hijack your thread there Old Geezer..as I said my Brother lives there...

Certainly take the advice of not2old and rent if you can..or go for longer holidays at different times of the year..a place can look and feel totally different outside of the season..

Prices of apartments are rising steeply in the more desirable areas as a lot of foreigners,especially Russians move in..Your more likely to hear Russian being spoken in St Julian's bay or Sliema...than English or Maltese these days
Old Sep 17th 2014, 1:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by not2old
My advice is not to buy in Malta - always rent because you do not want to be in a burst bubble like what happen in Spain
Unless you intend on making it a permanent home / you want to build yourself a house etc etc. Otherwise I agree

YEP Gozit...Apparantly you have quite the Pagan presence in Malta..Check out Dr Kathryn Rountree..wrote a book about it in 2006
Will do
Old Sep 17th 2014, 10:19 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

I have to post this as though you are going to Malta for extended periods to live like a local - its not a knock or a wind-up, just a reality check. Think of it as a recce (seek & search mission) look before you leap.

The winters are/can be dreadful - Nov -March, cold damp BRRRRR. If you remember the UK of the 60's, then you get an idea

In the heat of the summer mid June to beginning of September you will fry, unless of course you like heat 24/7. Most if not all houses have zero A/C & if you are rich & can afford the electricity bill then A/C is a must.

The roads are terrible, the barking dogs & cats everywhere & Maltese people speak very very loudly

Anyone thin king of relocating to Malta - my suggestion is to spend a month in a self catering hotel sometime in the October/November timeframe, somewhere close to the ferry on the main Island. PM me I can give you some suggestions on places to stay cheap.

Posh expensive hotels with all the comforts wont do it - you have to be just like a local and as though you have moved to Malta & are renting a flat/apartment

Buses are good & cheap. Do the 'as you are going to stay there' - live like a local, shop the grocery stores

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.