Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Malta
Reload this Page >

UK car dealer looking to export to Malta

UK car dealer looking to export to Malta

Old Feb 21st 2016, 10:39 am
Just Joined

Martos88 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile UK car dealer looking to export to Malta

I'm a car dealer in the UK, and my friend (also a car dealer) is moving to Malta. I'm looking into sending him cheap used cars to sell over there, can anybody give me any useful information that could help? Does anybody know if a UK mot is applicable in Malta? Also, if anybody has any info on people who already do this so I could contact them, it would be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Dan

Last edited by Martos88; Feb 21st 2016 at 10:54 am.
Old Feb 21st 2016, 10:41 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK car dealer looking to export to Malta

Originally Posted by Martos88
I'm a car dealer in the UK, and my friend (also a car dealer) is moving to Malta. I'm looking into sending him cheap used cars to sell over there, can anybody give me any useful information that could help? Also, if anybody has any info on people who already do this so I could contact them, it would be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Dan
Not too sure how well it might work, I know someone in the UK who regularly gets cars FROM Malta to sell on Ebay, so I suspect they may well be cheaper there.
Old Feb 21st 2016, 10:53 am
Just Joined

Martos88 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Not too sure how well it might work, I know someone in the UK who regularly gets cars FROM Malta to sell on Ebay, so I suspect they may well be cheaper there.
Cars are extortionate in Malta, often up to 50% dearer than in the UK
Old Feb 21st 2016, 12:50 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

importing vehicles into malta can be expensive. Considering the market is small, you have to get the vehicles there, the Import tax is high may not be worth it

in the following

"The import duty rate for importing Car into Malta is 10% , the import VAT is 18%, when classified under Cars & Motorcycles → Cars | used - petrol → Petrol Car | engine capacity 1501 - 3000cc with HS commodity code 8703.23.9000"

calculator.

The import duty rate for importing Car into Malta is 10%

other elated info

Malta - Used Motor Vehicle Valuation

Transport Malta - Registering and Licensing a Motor Vehicle

http://www.transport.gov.mt/admin/up...0415062059.pdf
Old Feb 21st 2016, 6:40 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

To add, the Maltese version of the UK MOT is called VRT in Malta

TM Portal - Vehicle Roadworthiness Test (VRT)
Old Feb 22nd 2016, 3:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

teejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond repute

There are already many companies importing cars from Japan. These cars are popular because they are usually of a high specification and in excellent condition. The Maltese are therefore used to buying imported cars and would not be put off by the fact that the car had been first used in another country. Apparently the Japanese cars are sold without any modification (but presumably with a VRT certificate).

Dealers range from small sole traders with cars parked on the road to large companies such as Montebello:

Montebello Group :: Car Imports

Your UK cars would have a mph speedometer, which some customers may find off-putting.

Your main competition would be these Japan imports. Another popular source of used cars is the many ex-hire cars sold off after the summer season.

A question about opening a business importing cars to Malta was asked previously on another site, and the advice was that it would not be a good idea. This was because the second-hand car market is closely controlled and newcomers would be made unwelcome. I have no idea if this is true, but it is something that your friend might like to check on.
Old Mar 8th 2016, 1:37 pm
Just Joined

AlexEss is an unknown quantity at this point

Dan Hi

There is a business opportunity in what you propose.
Something to think about is that the Maltese are very resourceful and 'can-do' people when it comes to business. That comes as a surprise to many ex-Pats.

You will probably find that you can generate income by being another UK source for businesses that are already operating - no point in inventing the wheel twice.
Some work colleagues of mine have just returned from a buying trip to the UK, bought 6 or so cars and vans, all from dealers.
The vehicles will be containered over, they pay the Maltese duty and registration fees, and they have already been pre-sold to their new owners who provided them with a 'wish list' prior to travelling.

Do your research on the market in Malta to get an idea of what sells and at what price point. For instance, old Japanese pick-up trucks, Suzuki Vitara or the Maruti equivalent, Land Rovers, to name a couple....pack an container with old Honda 90's, for instance.
Look into the Classic Car market too, if you are positioned to supply. One thing Malta is not short of is money, and people wanting to spend it on desirable cars.

Hope it goes well for you

Alex
Old Apr 27th 2016, 3:14 pm
Just Joined

TobiasBand is an unknown quantity at this point

Transporting over isn't the issue, it's registering the car with a maltese number plate where high costs arise.

You should call Transport Malta and ask for further information.