Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Malta
Reload this Page >

Citizenship eligibility

Citizenship eligibility

Old Mar 28th 2017, 9:52 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Citizenship eligibility

Originally Posted by Amanda_C
Hi I hope someone can help!
I was born in Malta in 1974, at the British Naval Hospital, to British parents (neither of whom had diplomatic immunity, they were civilian teachers). I cant work out from the info Ive found online whether or not I am eligible for Maltese citizenship or not. My birth certificate is British, will I also have a Maltese one that I can apply for?
]If anyone can help Id be most grateful
Thanks
Any person born in Malta between 21 September 1964 and 31 July 2001 automatically acquired Maltese citizenship at birth unless they had diplomatic immunity. Your birth should have been registered with the Maltese authorities as well as HMG. You can apply for your Maltese birth certificate online here. If it gives you the option you want to order your full birth certificate (Series A or B).
Old Mar 29th 2017, 11:48 am
Just Joined

Amanda_C is an unknown quantity at this point

Many thanks, I had already had a look on that website, just wasn't sure if it was worth paying the fee if I don't have a Maltese birth certificate and I didnt know how I could find out! I shall submit my form, cheers
Amanda
Old Mar 29th 2017, 9:40 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Many thanks, I had already had a look on that website, just wasn't sure if it was worth paying the fee if I don't have a Maltese birth certificate and I didnt know how I could find out! I shall submit my form, cheers
Amanda
If your parents weren't serving in the military then your birth should normally have been registered with the local authorities.
Old Mar 30th 2017, 7:32 pm
Forum Regular

Cynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond repute

From your comment regarding being born at the British Military Hospital, you should also consider whether they were teaching at the British Forces schools (BFES) in Malta; as such, they would have been classified as UK-based civilians (effectively UK civil servants, but working overseas for HMG) and subject to the same Status of Forces agreement as the Forces themselves. It would explain your birth only being registered with the British authorities.
Old Apr 19th 2017, 6:48 pm
Just Joined

Amanda_C is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Cynic
From your comment regarding being born at the British Military Hospital, you should also consider whether they were teaching at the British Forces schools (BFES) in Malta; as such, they would have been classified as UK-based civilians (effectively UK civil servants, but working overseas for HMG) and subject to the same Status of Forces agreement as the Forces themselves. It would explain your birth only being registered with the British authorities.
Hi yes they were teaching at British Forces Schools, does that mean I'm not eligible for Maltese citizenship? I've sent off for my birth certificate and just today got an email saying it's been posted to me (it was one of those automatic emails, I've not actually got the document yet).

Last edited by Amanda_C; Apr 19th 2017 at 6:51 pm.
Old Apr 21st 2017, 3:55 pm
Forum Regular

Cynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond repute

Hi yes they were teaching at British Forces Schools, does that mean I'm not eligible for Maltese citizenship? I've sent off for my birth certificate and just today got an email saying it's been posted to me (it was one of those automatic emails, I've not actually got the document yet).
Hi Amanda,

Afraid I don't know the answer regarding Maltese citizenship. I only know about the Status of Forces Agreements because I worked with them all over the world for a long time. It always depends on the Host Nation (in this case Malta) and whether they are willing to confer citizenship to dependents of non-Maltese nationals born in Malta. For example, many thousands of children were born to British parents living in Germany during time spent there serving in the Armed Forces; under the Status of Forces agreement between the UK and Germany, none of them had the right to German citizenship, unless one of the parents was a German national.

Surprisingly, I've actually found a copy of the Maltese/UK agreement from 1966 on line; if you follow this link, it will take you to it. Unfortunately, the search function on the PDF doesn't seem to work that well, so you'll have to read through it; I just had a quick skim and couldn't see anything relevant - so who knows, maybe you'll be lucky.

Best of luck.
Old Jul 10th 2017, 3:41 pm
Just Joined

Mtarfa is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Amanda, I've just registered to ask how you got on?

I was born in the same hospital in 1967, same circumstances, and am very interested in the same thing as you are. I'm really hoping it worked out as I've just submitted my form and am waiting with fingers crossed.

Thanks.