Work Permit/Visa Help

Old May 16th 2017, 12:35 pm
Just Joined

saltysweet is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Work Permit/Visa Help

Hi everyone,

I am new to the forum and have some questions which I hope you can help with (I would be most grateful!)

I have recently accepted a job offer with a very well-known Malaysian company - they are now applying for a work permit for me. Having said that, I have done some reading and research and am now stressing out a bit that it won't be as easy as I originally thought for the work permit to be approved. Originally when the company interviewed me, they probably did not know I was a foreigner (I was Malaysian but forced to give up my Malaysian citizenship when I took up my German citizenship) - I immediately disclosed that fact during my interview and they still offered me the role - probably just me worrying too much but I was wondering if anyone has ever had their work permit application rejected?

Secondly, my partner who is also German really wants to come with me (assuming my work permit is approved) but we are having problems trying to find options for her to stay long term. I have been offered a really good package so both our financial obligations will be taken care of by me. Ideally, she would like to find a job and go the work permit route but despite lots of applications on jobstreet, nothing positive has come up. MM2H is out of the question for us so the only thing we can think of is the Long Term Visit Social Pass but everything we have read so far pertains to married couples which isn't our situation. Can anyone help? I would rather not have her resort to visa runs if possible as that is a temporary solution. Are there any other viable options?

Hope someone can help us. Thank you for your time!

p.s. We are currently working and living in the UK
Old May 17th 2017, 7:13 am
BE Enthusiast

eCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Work Permit/Visa Help

Originally Posted by saltysweet
Secondly, my partner who is also German really wants to come with me (assuming my work permit is approved) but we are having problems trying to find options for her to stay long term.
I donĀ“t see a real problem, at least for the next couple of years. Germans get 90 day Social Visit Pass, guess you will make a trip to Europe anyway one time a year, than a holiday in Thailand, Indonesia, whatever or a quick trip to Singapore - done.
Old May 17th 2017, 1:33 pm
Just Joined

Hi eCdD,

Thank you for replying. I know "visa runs" are possible but due to this being frowned upon by the government plus it really is a temporary solution and if my partner wants to work, this is not an option. I was just wondering if there are any other legal options such as Long Term Social Visit Pass - however, we couldn't find anyone who is not a married couple receiving this hence we're wondering if anyone can help on the forum.

Thanks again!
Old May 18th 2017, 2:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Gunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond repute

I have a few friends who had to marry in order to be able to bring in their partners.
Maybe not a very romantic reason for marriage, but I think this may be the only secure option.

But, a way to allow for consideration time could be for her to initially come as a tourist and do a couple of visa runs.
After that she would know if she'd like to live in Malaysia and you could then make more committing decisions.
While in Malaysia, your partner could also try to find an employer who would be willing to apply for work permit etc.
Old May 18th 2017, 7:54 am
BE Enthusiast

SushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by saltysweet
I was just wondering if there are any other legal options such as Long Term Social Visit Pass - however, we couldn't find anyone who is not a married couple receiving this hence we're wondering if anyone can help on the forum.
This may sound rather harsh, but there are many countries where a relationship does not count unless it is formalised in the form of a marriage. In those countries are you simply viewed as two individuals, unless you show the marriage certificate. I believe that Malaysia is one of those countries.
Old May 18th 2017, 10:08 am
Just Joined

Hi Gunnar and SushiFan,

Appreciate the input and yes, we are viewed as two individuals which is fine (I don't believe Malaysia or any country for that matter owe us anything) - my partner getting a work permit would be the best solution but so far despite applying for quite a few jobs, we've had no interest so we are just looking at backup plans. The visa run is an option though one we both are quite reluctant about unless there's really no other choice. That's why I am asking for help in the forum to see if there is any other option...so far, seems like a dead end as well unfortunately