Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia
Reload this Page >

Will a UK TV work in Malaysia

Will a UK TV work in Malaysia

Old Aug 8th 2014, 10:56 am
Just Joined

Khangba is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Will a UK TV work in Malaysia

We are moving to Malaysia soon but we bought a new TV 55" only 3 months ago with surround sound etc and there seems to be conflicting opinions if it will work in KL or not.

Does anybody have direct experience of taking a TV to Malaysia and did it work? Both countries use PAL but I think they are different versions. I rang Sony but it was a very nice girl in the Philippines who had difficulty navigating her manual but she sadly said NO, TVs are country specific - or something to that effect.

Any help would be appreciated!
Old Aug 8th 2014, 12:58 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Will a UK TV work in Malaysia

Just to say Welcome to the forum but cannot help with your question....sorry.

Would just say that I don't think TVs are country specific as the girl said though. We bought a Hitachi TV in Singapore many moons ago and it worked fine in both Thailand and now Malaysia.

Last edited by bakedbean; Aug 8th 2014 at 1:01 pm.
Old Aug 9th 2014, 3:35 am
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute

Your UK TV will work fine in Malaysia. You won't even have to change the plug!
Old Aug 9th 2014, 4:59 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by InVinoVeritas
Your UK TV will work fine in Malaysia. You won't even have to change the plug!
That is great news that it will work - I just didn't want to ship it all that distance for it not to work. There is very little on the internet other than posts from this forum.

If you don't mind me asking, when did you take your TV to Malaysia?
Old Aug 10th 2014, 10:07 am
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't but I've done the opposite, a Malaysian TV to France (they're so much cheaper in Malaysia) and then taken it on to the UK. No problems at all (Chinese TV, of course).
Old Aug 13th 2014, 4:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't necessarily say they will be fine and you won't need to change anything. We brought 2 Sony Bravias with us from the UK (52" & 46") last year that we bought about 4 or 5 years ago. We did eventually get them both to work, but we do need to use boosters (although of course that could be the area we live in). However, in addition, we did need to delve into the setup to change the sound region. I think the region we are using is something like Germany/Luxembourg and somewhere else! We also use surround sound for one of them.
Old Aug 13th 2014, 8:11 pm
Expat in Malaysia

kingoflostfools has a reputation beyond reputekingoflostfools has a reputation beyond reputekingoflostfools has a reputation beyond reputekingoflostfools has a reputation beyond reputekingoflostfools has a reputation beyond reputekingoflostfools has a reputation beyond reputekingoflostfools has a reputation beyond reputekingoflostfools has a reputation beyond reputekingoflostfools has a reputation beyond reputekingoflostfools has a reputation beyond reputekingoflostfools has a reputation beyond repute

Mine did. Still does in fact.

Bugger all to watch on Malaysian TV though, which is why it is hooked up to my laptop.
Old Aug 21st 2014, 6:15 pm
Just Joined

Thanks guys for your input - it would seem that it is worth the risk rather than take the loss on the new purchase. Setting it up from scratch is probably the best idea to find the right sound channel.

Thanks again and see you in KL!
Old Aug 26th 2014, 11:33 am
Just Joined

Just the final word.

It seems as if nobody will give me a direct answer, least of all Sony as they have a vested interest in me buying a TV when I arrive in KL. I

went to John Lewis, where I bought the TV and spoke to the Sony rep who was as helpful as a non-techie can be and here is the best she could do.

1. Cable or satellite not a problem
2. Terrestial may or may not work as TVs these days are regional - mine now configures for mainland Europe plus Turkey and Israel. The advice was to try a different country but keep the set up language in English. If that fails buy a separate "Freeview" box as the channels for non-digital are pre-set.

It would seem the collective knowledge of this forum was correct and the decision is that the TV will be with us in KL as long as my wife doesn't see one of those curved 4k monsters that are available now.

Many thanks again for all your help!