Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia
Reload this Page >

Will Kuala Lumpur's public transportation rival Singapore in the future?

Will Kuala Lumpur's public transportation rival Singapore in the future?

Old Mar 14th 2015, 12:24 pm
Forum Regular

Twixy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Will Kuala Lumpur's public transportation rival Singapore in the future?

After looking at the above, it's my impression that public transportation is looking very good in the future of Kuala Lumpur. Perhaps to the point that it rivals Singapore even. Do you agree/disagree?
Old Mar 14th 2015, 12:49 pm
JC3
¿uo buıob s,ʇɐɥʍ

JC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Will Kuala Lumpur's public transportation rival Singapore in the future?

In Singapore people allow you off the metro before getting on... And out of the lift before getting in.

That's not always so in KL. Much greater consideration for others in needed for Malaysia to ever become a developed country

JC3
Old Mar 14th 2015, 12:53 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Will Kuala Lumpur's public transportation rival Singapore in the future?

Don't think KL and Singapore can be compared in any way in my opinion. But then I'm not a KL fan.
Old Mar 14th 2015, 2:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JC3
In Singapore people allow you off the metro before getting on... And out of the lift before getting in.

JC3
You ARE jesting aren't you.

Next you'll be saying there's no litter in Singapore.
Old Mar 14th 2015, 2:56 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Teehee

Ex-Reg, what's the reality these days about Singapore MRT? I haven't travelled on it in donkeys years but I watch my Sing friends rants on Facebook about all the breakdowns, how crowded it is. Has it really deteriorated? Is it creaking due to the increased number of residents in Singapore ?
Old Mar 15th 2015, 1:36 am
JC3
¿uo buıob s,ʇɐɥʍ

JC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JC3

JC3

Originally Posted by ex reg
You ARE jesting aren't you.

Next you'll be saying there's no litter in Singapore.
Hi Ex-Reg,

I jest not.

I was in Singapore in February and that was my experience. A hugely noticeable difference to KL.

As to litter, I cannot say there was no litter, but I saw very little.

Perhaps that is because Singapore is one of the world’s cleanest tourist cities as attested by the Trip Advisor Cities Survey - a look into 40 key tourist cities around the world, voted on by 75,000 travellers and locals.

Singapore was voted second in the world (after Tokyo) for the cleanest streets, reflecting some of the strictest littering laws and best public services in the world. Whilst KL came 30th out of 40.

See: Cleanest Cities In The World: Tokyo, Singapore Top TripAdvisor's 2012 City Survey (PHOTOS)

Of course Singapore’s tourist areas are probably kept cleaner than the sub-urban districts, much like in the capital cities of many developed countries

Shall we agree to disagree on this one?

JC3

Last edited by JC3; Mar 15th 2015 at 2:25 am.
Old Mar 16th 2015, 12:09 pm
Forum Regular

abdulawwal has a reputation beyond reputeabdulawwal has a reputation beyond reputeabdulawwal has a reputation beyond reputeabdulawwal has a reputation beyond reputeabdulawwal has a reputation beyond reputeabdulawwal has a reputation beyond reputeabdulawwal has a reputation beyond reputeabdulawwal has a reputation beyond reputeabdulawwal has a reputation beyond reputeabdulawwal has a reputation beyond reputeabdulawwal has a reputation beyond repute

That's because it's going to cost you a minimum of $500 dollars if you're naughty! Remember, Singapore is a 'fine' city!

Abdul
Old Mar 16th 2015, 1:11 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: Will Kuala Lumpur's public transportation rival Singapore in the future?

Originally Posted by bakedbean
Teehee

Ex-Reg, what's the reality these days about Singapore MRT? I haven't travelled on it in donkeys years but I watch my Sing friends rants on Facebook about all the breakdowns, how crowded it is. Has it really deteriorated? Is it creaking due to the increased number of residents in Singapore ?

We lived in Singapore from Jan 1995 - July 2000 and again from Sep 2008 until June 2011. During that 8 year gap the population in Singapore had increased substantially....I really noticed how everywhere seemed to be more crowded and many of the newer expats were from India. (I think I'd read somewhere that the population of Singapore had increased by approx 1 million...wow).

Although we always had a car on our postings in Singapore, if I was going to be in the CBD for a few hours I would often take public transport as it was cheaper and just as convenient. The last place we lived at was just off Ulu Pandan Rd (Mt. Sinai Drive) near one of the international schools. The buses weren't too bad outside peak hours - although I never did understand why some older aunties or uncles would hog the aisle seat and wouldn't move across to the window seat when it was obvious that I wanted to sit down next to them...

However....if I took the MRT, I'd walk along the canal and get on at Dover station, which also serves the university. This part of the MRT line was crowded no matter what time of the day it was - the next station along to the west was Clementi, where there are many HDB apartments and a sizeable bus interchange. I don't think I ever managed to get a seat on the MRT on this line.

I was irritated to see that some parents had young children with them on the MRT trains (older than toddlers, approx at infant school age) but instead of sitting them on their laps, would keep their child in the seat whilst elderly people had to stand - and indeed so many people would just hog the priority seats allocated for the elderly and pregnant women and pretend that they were dozing....grrr!
Old Mar 16th 2015, 1:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum

I was irritated to see that some parents had young children with them on the MRT trains (older than toddlers, approx at infant school age) but instead of sitting them on their laps, would keep their child in the seat whilst elderly people had to stand - and indeed so many people would just hog the priority seats allocated for the elderly and pregnant women and pretend that they were dozing....grrr!
Agree.
It's one reason I would rather drive than take the MRT these days.
The other reason is the way the MRT aircon is set to absolute zero.

And the population has increased from 3 million in 1990 to over 5.4 million today.