Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia
Reload this Page >

Where do I start house hunting in person around KL?

Where do I start house hunting in person around KL?

Old Nov 11th 2011, 8:45 pm
Just Joined

Yorkshire_Sarah is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Where do I start house hunting in person around KL?

My family and I are planning a move to KL and we are coming over on a research mission - schools, houses, how the kids cope with the climate etc...
I have researched rental prices on iproperty so I have some ideas about areas, but would welcome any advice, and also where and how I might start actually looking at houses when we get there? Can anyone recommend a good letting agent?

Areas I have looked at online include Bangsar, Damansara, Seputeh incl. neighbouring areas, and areas heading out towards Petaling Jaya. But some impartial advice would be fantastic.

Thanks folks, I am apprehensively nervous
Sarah
Old Nov 11th 2011, 9:59 pm
ajw

Location: Melbourne - London - Bangkok - Melbourne - Kuala Lumpur - Melbourne
ajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where do I start house hunting in person around KL?

Hi Sarah

Congrats on your forthcoming move to KL! A reccie trip is a great idea. Where will you or your husband be working in terms of location and which schools are you looking at? This may help determine where you want to live. Of those areas you mentioned Bangsar and Damansara Heights have the most expats. Bangsar has fantastic shopping and restaurants, also a train station. If you are thinking of sending your kids to Alice Smith it is close by (I do the AS run everyday). Depending on where you are going, the traffic in PJ can get pretty bad. Damansara Heighs is also v popular. Will you look for a house or condo? We used a good letting agent who still helps us when any maintenance issues etc crop up. If you are interested in having his details, i can PM you.
Old Nov 11th 2011, 10:12 pm

dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Sarah

Welcome to BE. Exciting times ahead.
I can't help much with info on KL as I normally lurk on the Goa forum, but I am sure there will be a few folks along any time soon with answers for you and Baked Bean who is the conierge Malaysia dweller will be along soon too.

Good luck with your move

Dread - x
Old Nov 12th 2011, 8:07 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Sarah, just to say Hello and Welcome I'm no KL expert I'm afraid, but there's quite a few folks on this board living in KL with lots of info..... and quite a lot of people planning a move to KL, just like yourself.

You might want to browse through some other threads on here and tag along on some to get some responses. Best of luck.
Old Nov 13th 2011, 4:09 pm
Just Joined

memphis27 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, you may visit iproperty.com.my
Old Nov 14th 2011, 2:00 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Memphis, I see you've just joined, so welcome to BE

There's a ton of property websites out there. Just need to google and they'll all come up.

What's your experience with KL? Are you living there? Which areas do you like? Might help Sarah with her choice.
Old Nov 15th 2011, 8:37 am
Forum Regular

Tahiti_Bound is just really niceTahiti_Bound is just really niceTahiti_Bound is just really niceTahiti_Bound is just really niceTahiti_Bound is just really niceTahiti_Bound is just really niceTahiti_Bound is just really niceTahiti_Bound is just really niceTahiti_Bound is just really niceTahiti_Bound is just really nice

Originally Posted by Yorkshire_Sarah
My family and I are planning a move to KL and we are coming over on a research mission - schools, houses, how the kids cope with the climate etc...
I have researched rental prices on iproperty so I have some ideas about areas, but would welcome any advice, and also where and how I might start actually looking at houses when we get there? Can anyone recommend a good letting agent?

Areas I have looked at online include Bangsar, Damansara, Seputeh incl. neighbouring areas, and areas heading out towards Petaling Jaya. But some impartial advice would be fantastic.

Sarah
Hi

You might want to look on the following website:

http://www.klamerican.com/home/our-publications

We have expats coming in all the time for our business, and I make sure they all get a copy of the American Association of America's 'Welcome to KL' publication. It's (in my view) the best one stop book that covers most subjects that the expat family wants to know about when or before they get to KL.

I would also support the suggestion made above that you consider selecting a location based on where you and/or yours is going to be working. Traffic in KL at rush hour is not the best - and it can take a long time to get to where you want to be!

It's also worth finding out what your budget is for accommodation as rents vary widely. Also, properties with gardens are in very short supply in some (more central) locations like the KLCC area (in which we live). But there is a wide choice of modern, spacious apartments.

Finally, I would research schooling before you get here on your research trip. We recently wanted to bring in a family with teenage boys, but the school said they had no space this year ( and maybe none next year either). You don't want that kind of surprise when you get here!

Finally finally, we have used a number of real estate agents to show properties to our incoming expats. We found that (just like in other major cities) they will be knowledgeable about one or two areas, but not every area. Hence I would suggest settling on one or two areas, and then contacting agents that are offering properties in those areas. And be realistic about the budget - rents are negotiable at the moment in some areas (too many expensive apartments to rent in KLCC for example means that rents are lower now than when we arrived a few years ago), but you won't get something for nothing!

Finally finally finally, there are furniture rental stores if you want to rent a part furnished place and then separately rent a furniture package. Again, the AAM info gives details.

Good luck with your search

Tahiti
Old Nov 18th 2011, 5:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Amazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Re: Where do I start house hunting in person around KL?

Originally Posted by Yorkshire_Sarah

Sarah

Hi Sarah,

I can understand your thoughts are probably nervous, excited etc so welcome in advance to KL as it is affectionally known as. I have lived in Bangsar for 4.5 years the last time I was here and now I am living in the city centre for just over 15 months and love every minute of it.

I just wanted to tell you about the ABWM you being a Yorkshire lass. It is the Association of British Women in Malaysia and basically it is a place to meet with others like yourself new to KL. I can PM you more information if you like but please know that there is always someone here to talk to; as an experienced and well travelled expat wife I know what its like. It is fine for the guys as they can go into their new place of work and ask their questions but who do we as wives have to talk to so let me know.

AG

Last edited by Amazing Grace; Nov 18th 2011 at 5:45 am.
Old Nov 18th 2011, 8:10 am

Someone else in KL. That's great. BTW Amazing G, your location states that you are in Al Ain (just in case you overlooked). If you're being incognito, just forget I said
Old Nov 18th 2011, 8:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Amazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond repute

Woops, was in Al Ain, then quickly we got sent to Bangkok for a long contract, didnt happen and now we are back in my favourite expat place, must change my location

Thanks Bakebean:sunglasses:
Old Nov 18th 2011, 8:14 am

Haha. that's great you're posting on here AG.... we've had so many queries on here lately from folks moving to KL so your contributions will be really helpful to everyone.
Old Nov 21st 2011, 12:30 am
Forum Regular

joamelie has much to be proud ofjoamelie has much to be proud ofjoamelie has much to be proud ofjoamelie has much to be proud ofjoamelie has much to be proud ofjoamelie has much to be proud ofjoamelie has much to be proud ofjoamelie has much to be proud ofjoamelie has much to be proud ofjoamelie has much to be proud ofjoamelie has much to be proud of

Bangsar...very popular choice with expats. Nice area, great for bars and restaurants, but property price is high compared to other areas.

Seputeh...great choice (I would say that, I live there). A few expats but not as many as Bangsar. Great transport links and you can avoid the traffic jams. You can walk into midvalley so no problem with parking, also close to Bangsar, but you'll need a car to get there. No where near as expensive as Bangsar.

Damansara....nice another popular expat area, but don't so much about it.

What kind of school do you want for your kids? Although British, our kids go to the Australian school and love it! It's out in Serdang which is 15-20 min drive and is against the flow of traffic, so no traffic jams.
Old Nov 21st 2011, 10:54 pm
ajw

Location: Melbourne - London - Bangkok - Melbourne - Kuala Lumpur - Melbourne
ajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Joamelie

Do your kids carch the bus to and from school? We did consider it at some point but friends who have kids there said that the trip back towards town after drop off in the morning would sometimes take up to 40 mins due to traffic (to Bangsar).
Old Nov 21st 2011, 11:55 pm
Forum Regular

joamelie has much to be proud ofjoamelie has much to be proud ofjoamelie has much to be proud ofjoamelie has much to be proud ofjoamelie has much to be proud ofjoamelie has much to be proud ofjoamelie has much to be proud ofjoamelie has much to be proud ofjoamelie has much to be proud ofjoamelie has much to be proud ofjoamelie has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ajw
Hi Joamelie

Do your kids carch the bus to and from school? We did consider it at some point but friends who have kids there said that the trip back towards town after drop off in the morning would sometimes take up to 40 mins due to traffic (to Bangsar).
No, I'm the one working out here and my husband drops our daughter off at school. The school doesn't start until 9am so the traffic has mostly gone by the time he drives back in....he has got stuck in the occasional jam when there's been an accident, but usually it's a fairly clear run back too.