Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia
Reload this Page >

What to See/Do in Penang

What to See/Do in Penang

Old Apr 6th 2013, 6:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Bocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond repute
Default What to See/Do in Penang

Hi folks

We're driving up to Penang tomorrow and staying until Friday.

As we're the worst tourists in the world and always seem to miss all the interesting stuff - please tell me what we should see/do! Any good restaurant recommendations also appreciated.

We'll be travelling with the kids - aged 8 and 5 - so anything suitable for them would be good too.

Thanks.

Bocat
Old Apr 6th 2013, 7:38 am
Just Joined

TheGreyGuy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What to See/Do in Penang

I have been here a few days, I'm not sure much is going on at the moment. It is raining all day today. I was thinking of going to a resort, but that can't be much fun in this weather.
But with the kids you could always take them to the top of Komtar for a view of the city.
Old Apr 6th 2013, 8:54 am
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute

Penang Hill using the funicular railway
The Peranakn Museum
Cheong Fatt Tse Mansion ( The Blue Mansion )
Balik Pulau drive and while down south then drive up to Bukit Genting for the views

Lots of other stuff and even though it's 2c here I've got to go and do a bit in the garden

There are a few threads on food so search.
Old Apr 6th 2013, 2:01 pm
Forum Regular

abdulawwal has a reputation beyond reputeabdulawwal has a reputation beyond reputeabdulawwal has a reputation beyond reputeabdulawwal has a reputation beyond reputeabdulawwal has a reputation beyond reputeabdulawwal has a reputation beyond reputeabdulawwal has a reputation beyond reputeabdulawwal has a reputation beyond reputeabdulawwal has a reputation beyond reputeabdulawwal has a reputation beyond reputeabdulawwal has a reputation beyond repute

Wow! What a coincidence! We're going to Penang next weekend as a family too; kids 8 and 4! Komtar sounds interesting as does Bukit Genting.

Regards
Abdul
Old Apr 6th 2013, 2:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Abdul - have fun! Where are you staying? Looks like your business is doing well since you got here - congratulations!
Old Apr 6th 2013, 2:40 pm
Forum Regular

abdulawwal has a reputation beyond reputeabdulawwal has a reputation beyond reputeabdulawwal has a reputation beyond reputeabdulawwal has a reputation beyond reputeabdulawwal has a reputation beyond reputeabdulawwal has a reputation beyond reputeabdulawwal has a reputation beyond reputeabdulawwal has a reputation beyond reputeabdulawwal has a reputation beyond reputeabdulawwal has a reputation beyond reputeabdulawwal has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Bocat

Was thinking of Bayview hotel or Hotel Royal Penang. But going to keep an eye out on this thread to see what people suggest.

I'm happy with how the business is working out. So far, so good! Eager to grow it to a standard whereby we can continue to stay in Malaysia for as long as possible.

Regards
Abdul
Old Apr 7th 2013, 8:01 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Good suggestions from ExReg.

Also:

Penang Botanic Garden. Very nice landscaped gardens with lots of monkeys roaming about. Just make sure the kids don't get near them.

Straits Quay. Surprisingly Singaporesque "shopping marina". Lots of places to eat and drink, and admire the yachts and how the other half live. Quite often some "events" going on there too. Just go to the Information Desk there and they will tell you.
Old Apr 9th 2013, 11:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks everyone. We're having a nice time so far.

Had a fairly lazy day by the pool/beach yesterday although my adrenalin seeking son did do the parasailing (which he described as a bit boring - I thought it would be more scary!)

Drove around Georgetown in lots and lots of traffic getting more and more lost by the minute.

Tried to find the Toy Museum today as the kids wanted to do that but after over 1 hr we gave up! (I told you we're the world's worst tourists!!)

Eventually after driving around in lots of traffic again we finally found Penang Hill and went up on the train - that was good fun and the kids enjoyed our time up there. I'd give the aviary a miss if you go there though - really just a few birds stuck in basic cages looking bored. (Although to be fair all the birds looked well cared for and in good health).

Now back in the hotel about to watch Mrs Doubtfire on TV and get room service - my kids think this is heaven LOL!

Abdul - we're in the Park Royal Hotel - it's pretty good. Really depends what you're looking for. We booked it via Agoda and got it for half the price listed on their website.
Old Apr 9th 2013, 12:26 pm
Forum Regular

Sounds good! Looking forward to our trip too!
Old Apr 9th 2013, 1:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute

The Toy Museum is about 100m up the slight slope from the Paradise Sandy Bay Hotel in Tanjung Bunga.
Haven't been inside though.