Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia
Reload this Page >

What attracts people to Penang

What attracts people to Penang

Old Sep 11th 2013, 5:33 am
PGT
Just Joined

PGT is just really nicePGT is just really nicePGT is just really nicePGT is just really nicePGT is just really nicePGT is just really nicePGT is just really nicePGT is just really nice
Default What attracts people to Penang

I live in Penang. I just wonder what attracts people here? The property is definitely not cheap and there is no quality lifestyle here. Beach, yah, but you won't swim in it. Pub, yah, but boring and empty. Attraction, hmmm, can see all in one day. You need car to get around, don't depend on public transportation even it exists. Taxi? Prepare to pay a full meal to get a ride. Drinks? Super expensive, of course you can get a cheap cheap hawker drinks anytime, non alcoholic. Arts? Sorry, there are craft shops around, but for gallery and art lesson, look somewhere else. Yah the food is super nice. Well, since we eat to live, maybe that's the only reason I can think of to live in Penang. Oh, the same thing applies to K.L too.

Last edited by PGT; Sep 11th 2013 at 5:58 am.
Old Sep 11th 2013, 5:43 am
PGT
Just Joined

PGT is just really nicePGT is just really nicePGT is just really nicePGT is just really nicePGT is just really nicePGT is just really nicePGT is just really nicePGT is just really nice
Default What attracts people to Penang

I live in Penang. I just wonder what attracts people here? The property is definitely not cheap and there is no quality lifestyle here. Beach, yah, but you won't swim in it. Pub, yah, but boring and empty. Attraction, hmmm, can see all in one day. I can't remember any good view that I would just sit there whole day doing nothing. (Marina Bay Sands? Ayuthia? anyone?) You need a car to get around, don't depend on public transportation even it exists. Taxi? Prepare to pay a full meal to get a ride. Drinks? Super expensive, of course you can get a cheap cheap hawker drinks anytime, non alcoholic. Arts? Sorry, there is a bit of craft shops around, but for gallery and art lesson, look somewhere else. Yah the food is super nice. Well, since we eat to live, maybe that's the only reason I can think of to live in Penang. Oh, the same thing applies to K.L too. Hmm about crime rate, I just stop here.

But if money is not a big problem, why not?
Old Sep 11th 2013, 5:46 am
PGT
Just Joined

Default Re: Retirement in Penang

I live in Penang. I just wonder what attracts people here? The property is definitely not cheap and there is no quality lifestyle here. Beach, yah, but you won't swim in it. Pub, yah, but boring and empty. Attraction, hmmm, can see all in one day. I can't remember any good view that I would just sit there whole day doing nothing. (Marina Bay Sands? Ayuthia? anyone?) You need a car to get around, don't depend on public transportation even it exists. Taxi? Prepare to pay a full meal to get a ride. Drinks? Super expensive, of course you can get a cheap cheap hawker drinks anytime, non alcoholic. Arts? Sorry, there is a bit of craft shops around, but for gallery and art lesson, look somewhere else. Yah the food is super nice. Well, since we eat to live, maybe that's the only reason I can think of to live in Penang. Oh, the same thing applies to K.L too. Hmm about crime rate, I just stop here.

But if money is not a big problem, why not?
Old Sep 11th 2013, 7:25 am
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why Retire in Malaysia?

Well, PGT, your view on Penang is very interesting. I presume therefore you are not there by choice?

Of course you are right that property in Penang is expensive relative to other parts of Malaysia but I would have thought this was the result of strong demand presumably as a result of people choosing to live there. It is still pretty cheap by European standards (and perhaps relative to some other countries) which may, in part, explain the relatively high prices.

As for there being nothing to do in Penang and no viable public transport that's another worry to add to my list of concerns - air quality, water quality, crime and building standards.

It would be very interesting to hear other member's views on quality of life in Penang and KL before I arrive in Malaysia and form my own view.
Old Sep 11th 2013, 7:30 am
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute

Funny innit?
I disagree with just about all you post.
Even the food being 'super nice'.
Old Sep 11th 2013, 9:23 am
PGT
Just Joined

Default Re: Why Retire in Malaysia?

Oh, don't get me wrong, I like Penang. Layback, have international airport (to certain destination only) etc. Crime rate is moderate, but on and off you heard it and gov do nothing about it. Seriously, don't bother to report anything when it happened, useless.

Oh, clean air definitely, clean water, nice local people except those criminals, cheap and beautiful condos (compare to Europe). Well, rich people can always fly to SG and BKK in no time if it gets bored. Cheers.
Old Sep 11th 2013, 9:32 am
PGT
Just Joined

Haha, I would love to hear how you spend your exciting life in Penang but disgusted by the local food (which one? Char Keow Teow?). And swimming in the sea? Seriously? It is okay if you didn't read about what had happened on Love Lane. Oh yah, the pub, MoMo, yay, great pub to pick up the chicks, LOL.

Last edited by PGT; Sep 11th 2013 at 9:38 am.
Old Sep 11th 2013, 1:06 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Retiring in Malaysia - Malaysia My Second Home Visa (MM2H)

Hi PGT and welcome to the forum. I think I know you, don't I

Well, it won't surprise you that I and others don't agree with your views but hey ho there ya go.
Old Sep 11th 2013, 1:10 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I disagree with most of it too. Maybe it's someone who is leaving Penang uh?

And picking up chicks...ooh dear...hope the Missus isn't reading this hehe.
Old Sep 11th 2013, 1:55 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What attracts people to Penang

Hi PGT,

Welcome to BE. I just wanted to let you know that it's not really good forum netiquette to cross post the same post everywhere, so I've moved your posts (and associated replies) into one thread.
Old Sep 11th 2013, 2:18 pm
PGT
Just Joined

I still don't get any responds from you guys. So what you didn't agree about? Cut it short and let me know. Beach is beautiful here? Have you been to Sabah? Thailand?
Night life is great here? Have you been to Singapore and Bangkok? Well, it is really good for retirees here actually if you are not looking for bustling lifestyle.
And bakedbean, I don't know you at all, don't act like one, plzzzzzzz.
Old Sep 11th 2013, 2:25 pm

Yes I agree with you there. It is good for retirees though of course it wouldn't suit everyone. We all have different tastes. I'm interested though, you aimed your comments on 3 different threads....all about retirement. Now you say, Penang is good for retirees ?

So where are you planning to move to?
Old Sep 17th 2013, 1:28 am
Forum Regular

gobbledonk has a reputation beyond reputegobbledonk has a reputation beyond reputegobbledonk has a reputation beyond reputegobbledonk has a reputation beyond reputegobbledonk has a reputation beyond reputegobbledonk has a reputation beyond reputegobbledonk has a reputation beyond reputegobbledonk has a reputation beyond reputegobbledonk has a reputation beyond reputegobbledonk has a reputation beyond reputegobbledonk has a reputation beyond repute

Hi PGT,

I'm a newbie here, but I'll take Bangkok over any of the following for nightlife:

Singapore
Pnomh Penh
Vientiane (not a high bar, admittedly ..)
Hong Kong
Guilin
Adelaide (!)

My second choice for nightlife would be KL - expensive, sure, but I have a great time when I'm in town. Jakarta is also a blast at night, but by day it's hell-on-earth : I cant think of any reason to relocate there for retirement purposes.

Before I start droning on, and at the risk of offending yourself or another board member, have you ever been to Pattaya ? It gets some seriously bad press, from within Thailand and elsewhere, but I doubt that you will come away thinking 'Not much going on in that town ...'
Old Sep 17th 2013, 2:12 am

Good line of thinking Gobbledonk yeh maybe PGT should be thinking of Thailand eh.

You mentioned in your first post that you are moving to Penang? Is that a permanent move for you, if you don't mind my asking? What do you find the attractions of Penang as a place to live?
Old Sep 17th 2013, 2:42 am
Forum Regular

gobbledonk has a reputation beyond reputegobbledonk has a reputation beyond reputegobbledonk has a reputation beyond reputegobbledonk has a reputation beyond reputegobbledonk has a reputation beyond reputegobbledonk has a reputation beyond reputegobbledonk has a reputation beyond reputegobbledonk has a reputation beyond reputegobbledonk has a reputation beyond reputegobbledonk has a reputation beyond reputegobbledonk has a reputation beyond repute

No problem, bakedbean - Patts is an obvious destination for someone who claims to be bored : if nothing else, it may make him appreciate what Penang has to offer ! I like the neon and the whole 'Sin City' thing, but many despise it, as I'm sure you know. End of the day, you pay your money and take your chances - it is what it is, I guess.

In answer to your question, I dont want to retire in Thailand but I *do* want to be an hour or so away from BKK/JKT/KL - best of all worlds, hopefully, and Penang seems to have the right combination of infrastructure and reasonably affordable accommodation (I'll be renting, at least initially). Currently looking at condos/apartments around Bayan Lepas on the Net, but I'll really only know if Penang is for me after several months on the island. If Ipoh had a direct connection to BKK by air, that would probably be my choice - it's a sleepy old town but there is just something about the history and the general feel of the place that does it for me - again, that could all change after a few months of living there. Caveat Emptor.

The path of least resistance has always been a condo overlooking the beach in Patts, but that's long been the ruin of many a poor man

(not even looking at MM2H initially - just fly out every time I need another stamp - and if it doesnt work out, at least I'll have given it a shot)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.