Reload this Page >

Visa Advice Needed Please

Visa Advice Needed Please

Old Feb 24th 2017, 2:13 am
Just Joined

Patrick1969 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Visa Advice Needed Please

Hi,

I'm a UK citizen and I started contract with a school here in KL at the end of October 2016. I was granted my employment pass at the start of December. However, the school is horrible and the staff are making life very difficult, apparently the last three teachers all quit. I really need to leave as soon as possible, as life is pretty miserable at present. However, I've signed a long-term tenancy agreement, and I really can't afford to relocate after using all my savings to get here...I planned on this all working out and I stupidly didn't have a back-up plan if the job didn't work out.
Anyway, what I really need to know is:
1) If I leave the school can I cancel the employment pass, or would the school have to do this?
2) When the employment pass is cancelled do I have to leave the country immediately, or is there any way I can stay on? Can I switch to being on a 90 social pass, or won't they allow this?
3) If I leave the country and then try to get back in for the 90 days visa free (so I can try and find another job) am I likely to face problems at the border, due to the history of an employment pass?
4) Is there any kind of business visa I can apply for if I want to be a self-employed teacher here, rather than working at a school?

Many thanks for any help you can give,

Patrick
Old Feb 25th 2017, 8:56 am
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visa Advice Needed Please

I'm a UK citizen and I started contract with a school here in KL at the end of October 2016. I was granted my employment pass at the start of December.

That normally should be the other way around. You shouldn't have started working without an employment pass.

However, the school is horrible and the staff are making life very difficult, apparently the last three teachers all quit. I really need to leave as soon as possible, as life is pretty miserable at present. However, I've signed a long-term tenancy agreement, and I really can't afford to relocate after using all my savings to get here...

Most tenancies are for 1 year. If you leave before then you forfeit your deposit. You should be paying rent monthly in advance. After one year you normally only give 1-2 months notice.

I planned on this all working out and I stupidly didn't have a back-up plan if the job didn't work out.
Anyway, what I really need to know is:
1) If I leave the school can I cancel the employment pass, or would the school have to do this?
The school do this, or you can just leave and the pass will naturally expire
2) When the employment pass is cancelled do I have to leave the country immediately, or is there any way I can stay on? Can I switch to being on a 90 social pass, or won't they allow this?
Generally you have to leave when the pass is cancelled. You can't switch or stay on. If you return, the immigration authorities may be worried you may start working illegally and only grant you a thirty day visa
3) If I leave the country and then try to get back in for the 90 days visa free (so I can try and find another job) am I likely to face problems at the border, due to the history of an employment pass?
See above.
4) Is there any kind of business visa I can apply for if I want to be a self-employed teacher here, rather than working at a school?
Yes, the talent resident pass, but you need to have been employed at he time of application, and for at least three years.
You may want to investigate setting up as an investor, or business instead. But that costs money.