Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia
Reload this Page >

Using a VPN to get cheaper flights

Using a VPN to get cheaper flights

Old Aug 8th 2016, 8:44 am
Expat in Malaysia

kingoflostfools has a reputation beyond reputekingoflostfools has a reputation beyond reputekingoflostfools has a reputation beyond reputekingoflostfools has a reputation beyond reputekingoflostfools has a reputation beyond reputekingoflostfools has a reputation beyond reputekingoflostfools has a reputation beyond reputekingoflostfools has a reputation beyond reputekingoflostfools has a reputation beyond reputekingoflostfools has a reputation beyond reputekingoflostfools has a reputation beyond repute
Default Using a VPN to get cheaper flights

It's that time of year again and I decided to see whether a bit of virtual shopping around using my VPN could get me a cheaper deal and despite the weaker value of GBP since the whole BRExit decision (which was of course entirely my fault), I managed to get an even cheaper deal than ever with Edinburgh -> Abu Dhabi (on Etihad)-> Kuala Lumpur (on Etihad) -> Penang (on Silk Air) OUTWARD in November and RETURN in March.

All for £510, which is substantially down on the price last year which was about £640 or so for the same route.

I only used the Skyscanners website.

One thing I did this year was go through a VPN and cleared my cookies between times, I noticed that buying the ticket from the UK was most expensive at around £581 for that specific route (there were cheaper ones through Southern China, but at 30-hours plus these were excessive)

Changing the VPN to the Netherlands, but choosing same criteria and same route and airlines came up with a price of £586, whereas changing the VPN to Russia came up with a price of £510

The only thing changing here is which country I am booking from, the route, airlines and the actual flights selected all remain the same.

Since my multi-country VPN (Expat Shield) costs me only RM99 for a year (about £19 GBP), it has effectively paid for itself just using it to purchase this ticket.

Last edited by kingoflostfools; Aug 8th 2016 at 8:48 am.
Old Aug 8th 2016, 9:09 am
BE Enthusiast

NeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Using a VPN to get cheaper flights

Very interesting. I have found the same thing with car hire in the UK, the price you get quoted depends on where you appear to be from.
Old Aug 8th 2016, 9:13 am
Expat in Malaysia

kingoflostfools has a reputation beyond reputekingoflostfools has a reputation beyond reputekingoflostfools has a reputation beyond reputekingoflostfools has a reputation beyond reputekingoflostfools has a reputation beyond reputekingoflostfools has a reputation beyond reputekingoflostfools has a reputation beyond reputekingoflostfools has a reputation beyond reputekingoflostfools has a reputation beyond reputekingoflostfools has a reputation beyond reputekingoflostfools has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NeonHippy
Very interesting. I have found the same thing with car hire in the UK, the price you get quoted depends on where you appear to be from.
So when you ring up you put on a Brummie accent ?
Old Aug 9th 2016, 7:25 am
BE Enthusiast

SushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond repute

You didn't try to put your VPN to Malaysia or Nigeria (the country of choice for email spammers)?
Old Aug 9th 2016, 9:55 am
Forum Regular

Epicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond repute

Very interesting topic. I've often wondered if this would work, but had never tried it myself. Although I did once buy some credits on a well known dating app by pretending to be in Colombia
Old Aug 12th 2016, 9:27 am
Just Joined

Anelly is an unknown quantity at this point

Last year I had an ibVPN subscription and heard about airline companies promoting different prices. I was hunting a good deal from London but every time I had checked the price increased. I had cleared the cookies and used the VPN and got a better price.

Next time I tried it did not work. I don't know if the company had updated their prices or it was because I changed my IP.

PS: ibVPN has 6 hours free trial (https://www.ibvpn.com/billing/cart.p...tpl=ibvpn-v3-6) so basically you can check the prices at no cost.