Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia
Reload this Page >

Using AsiaMiles on MH Flights

Using AsiaMiles on MH Flights

Old Aug 31st 2022, 7:30 am
Forum Regular

Flyguy has a brilliant futureFlyguy has a brilliant futureFlyguy has a brilliant futureFlyguy has a brilliant futureFlyguy has a brilliant futureFlyguy has a brilliant futureFlyguy has a brilliant future
Default Using AsiaMiles on MH Flights

I have a bunch of AsiaMiles accumulated pre pandemic. I receive a regular email from AsiaMiles and during the lockdowns they sent one saying they had a new policy of removing the expiry of AsiaMiles. Great news.
But this week I received an email from them telling me half my AsiaMiles will expire at the end of November. First off, I think it's pretty outrageous that they just arbitrarily reversed their previously stated policy. These points are basically a Cathay Pacific rewards system, and CX are in pretty bad shape thanks to the Hong Kong quarantine rules killing tourism in and out of the city. But still....rather a nasty rug pull on their customers!

The AsiaMiles website lists a number of 'partner companies' including Malaysia Airlines, and IIRC I've used my AsiaMiles to help pay for MH flights in the past. But looking at flights now I can see no way to book and pay using AsiaMiles. I spent about 10 minutes on queue with MH Customer Service and when I finally got through the young lady had no clue what I was talking about. She put me on hold for another 10 minutes only to come back and say they know nothing about it and I should call CX.

I duly did so. They have a local number in KL. The quality of the line was atrocious, breaking up and constantly blanking out. I queued for some time before being responded to by a lady with a Philipino accent (probably a call centre in the Philipines, hence the bad line).
She also had no clue how to resolve my problem but said their 'points people' would have to call me back. She took my number and finished the call. I never heard another thing from them. Two hours wasted.

Has anyone out there used AsiaMiles recently to book an MH flight? Or has any idea what's going on with using these miles? CX have no flights to Malaysia, and I don't want to do another hotel quarantine to get into HKG to use these points before they expire!
Old Aug 31st 2022, 8:51 am
Forum Regular

Flyguy has a brilliant futureFlyguy has a brilliant futureFlyguy has a brilliant futureFlyguy has a brilliant futureFlyguy has a brilliant futureFlyguy has a brilliant futureFlyguy has a brilliant future
Default Re: Using AsiaMiles on MH Flights

Folks, I just discovered that the fix is to only use the Microsoft Edge browser and book through this link: https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_...ht-awards.html
Other browsers give error messages and fail to reach the pricing page.