Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia
Reload this Page >

UK customs refusing to allow suitcase into UK

UK customs refusing to allow suitcase into UK

Old Jul 13th 2022, 11:09 pm
Just Joined

rossg is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK customs refusing to allow suitcase into UK

I am attempting to send 2 suitcases & clothing to the UK from Penang. The courier company are telling me UK customs will allow the clothing into the UK but not the suitcases. Can anybody give me a reason for this?
Old Jul 14th 2022, 4:15 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK customs refusing to allow suitcase into UK

Originally Posted by rossg
I am attempting to send 2 suitcases & clothing to the UK from Penang. The courier company are telling me UK customs will allow the clothing into the UK but not the suitcases. Can anybody give me a reason for this?
Not specific to Malaysia but I found this, although it seems to be more a case of courier companies not accepting suitcases rather than UK customs. Mind you, if the customs documentation and shipping labels had fallen off a suitcase I don't suppose UK customs would be too happy. The courier company you're dealing with should really be providing you with an explanation.

Suitcases are not really suitable for courier services as the handles and wheels can cause issues and overfilled cases can split and be damaged in transit. The other issue is shipping labels and customs documents coming detached and then the suitcase can easily be lost.

For these reasons and due to additional charges raised by couriers - we have placed suitcases on our prohibited items list for UPS and DPD services. They can only be sent if they are inside a box.
https://www.parcelmonkey.com/en-au/clothing
Old Jul 14th 2022, 4:51 am
Just Joined

rossg is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: UK customs refusing to allow suitcase into UK

Thanks for the reply.
At first the suitcases were sent as is with the cloths inside. Reached klia but stalled, returned to couriers office.
Clothes removed from suitcases placed in boxes. Suitcases placed in boxes. Boxes sent off. Reached klia
but stalled yet again. Might have to use one of the baggage companies.