Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia
Reload this Page >

Tourist/PAYG SIM - iPhone??

Tourist/PAYG SIM - iPhone??

Old Feb 15th 2011, 10:42 am
  #1  
BE Enthusiast
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: Malaysia / Thailand
Posts: 302
Atilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really nice
Default Tourist/PAYG SIM - iPhone??

I have an iPhone 3GS and plan to visit Malaysia looking at districts etc and hopefully finalise my MM2H. Are there any pay as you go or similar SIMs available either on the airlines or when you arrive to keep a mobile operational? One that offers and internet/data package would be preferable but not essential.

Secondly, are iPhones available there and if so, how much? I MIGHT upgrade the iPhone to v5 this year (when it's released) but I'm not sure if they have them in Malaysia or whether they are cheaper as I understand a lot of IT related stuff is. A price comparison of either the 3GS or 4 in Malaysia may help me to decide whether to do it here or not.
Atilla is offline  
Old Feb 16th 2011, 7:43 am
  #2  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Johor Bahru, Malaysia
Posts: 31
mnicol has a brilliant futuremnicol has a brilliant futuremnicol has a brilliant futuremnicol has a brilliant futuremnicol has a brilliant futuremnicol has a brilliant futuremnicol has a brilliant future
Default Re: Tourist/PAYG SIM - iPhone??

Originally Posted by Atilla View Post
I have an iPhone 3GS and plan to visit Malaysia looking at districts etc and hopefully finalise my MM2H. Are there any pay as you go or similar SIMs available either on the airlines or when you arrive to keep a mobile operational? One that offers and internet/data package would be preferable but not essential.

Secondly, are iPhones available there and if so, how much? I MIGHT upgrade the iPhone to v5 this year (when it's released) but I'm not sure if they have them in Malaysia or whether they are cheaper as I understand a lot of IT related stuff is. A price comparison of either the 3GS or 4 in Malaysia may help me to decide whether to do it here or not.
Iphones are not cheaper here - in fact I've looked every where during my travels (UK, Australia, Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand etc...) and they seem to be the same everywhere. You can get an iphone package on Maxis or Digi, but compared to plans in the UK they are still more expensive. Having said that, I have an iphone 4 which I bought outright at Maxis and I love it (Much better than my 3G which I dropped off a 12th floor balcony - it still worked surprisingly but you couldn't read the screen!)

For a SIM you can get what is called Pre-Paid from any of the service providers, though I believe Digi is cheapest for call rates. I believe you can add on data charges too but have not tried this. I believe there are counters at KLIA, but I fly via Singapore airport so hopefully someone else can shed more light on this one...
mnicol is offline  
Old Feb 16th 2011, 7:45 am
  #3  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Johor Bahru, Malaysia
Posts: 31
mnicol has a brilliant futuremnicol has a brilliant futuremnicol has a brilliant futuremnicol has a brilliant futuremnicol has a brilliant futuremnicol has a brilliant futuremnicol has a brilliant future
Default Re: Tourist/PAYG SIM - iPhone??

Originally Posted by mnicol View Post
Iphones are not cheaper here - in fact I've looked every where during my travels (UK, Australia, Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand etc...) and they seem to be the same everywhere. You can get an iphone package on Maxis or Digi, but compared to plans in the UK they are still more expensive. Having said that, I have an iphone 4 which I bought outright at Maxis and I love it (Much better than my 3G which I dropped off a 12th floor balcony - it still worked surprisingly but you couldn't read the screen!)

For a SIM you can get what is called Pre-Paid from any of the service providers, though I believe Digi is cheapest for call rates. I believe you can add on data charges too but have not tried this. I believe there are counters at KLIA, but I fly via Singapore airport so hopefully someone else can shed more light on this one...
I BELIEVE quite a lot in my last paragraph don't I!!
mnicol is offline  
Old Feb 16th 2011, 8:10 am
  #4  
BE Enthusiast
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: Malaysia / Thailand
Posts: 302
Atilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really nice
Default Re: Tourist/PAYG SIM - iPhone??

Hmmmmm, don't know about cheaper in the UK?? Cheapest contract with Voda for a 4 16GB is about £25/122RM a month for 2 years for just 75 minutes, 500MB data and 250 SMS a month and you pay £269/1320 RM for the phone. That's £869/4,262 RM over 2 years. A PAYG 4 will set you back £510/2,500 RM.

In Maxis you'll pay the same for the phone on a 2 year but only 100 RM/£20 pm for 333 minutes, 1GB data and 200 SMS. That's 3790 RM/£772 over 2 years. Nearly £100 cheaper on the money you lay out alone. OK it's not a massive saving but the value out of the monthly payment there is MUCH greater. Over 4 times the monthly minutes and double the data. So the cost of the phone is about the same but the cost of running it less, just, but you get a lot more for your money. It was similar in the UAE. I find 1 GB data more than enough, 500MB not (and excess data charges are high!!). 300 minutes is also more than enough for me, 75 and I'd struggle.

Last edited by Atilla; Feb 16th 2011 at 8:14 am.
Atilla is offline  
Old Feb 16th 2011, 8:43 am
  #5  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Johor Bahru, Malaysia
Posts: 31
mnicol has a brilliant futuremnicol has a brilliant futuremnicol has a brilliant futuremnicol has a brilliant futuremnicol has a brilliant futuremnicol has a brilliant futuremnicol has a brilliant future
Default Re: Tourist/PAYG SIM - iPhone??

Originally Posted by Atilla View Post
Hmmmmm, don't know about cheaper in the UK?? Cheapest contract with Voda for a 4 16GB is about £25/122RM a month for 2 years for just 75 minutes, 500MB data and 250 SMS a month and you pay £269/1320 RM for the phone. That's £869/4,262 RM over 2 years. A PAYG 4 will set you back £510/2,500 RM.

In Maxis you'll pay the same for the phone on a 2 year but only 100 RM/£20 pm for 333 minutes, 1GB data and 200 SMS. That's 3790 RM/£772 over 2 years. Nearly £100 cheaper on the money you lay out alone. OK it's not a massive saving but the value out of the monthly payment there is MUCH greater. Over 4 times the monthly minutes and double the data. So the cost of the phone is about the same but the cost of running it less, just, but you get a lot more for your money. It was similar in the UAE. I find 1 GB data more than enough, 500MB not (and excess data charges are high!!). 300 minutes is also more than enough for me, 75 and I'd struggle.
In that case I take it back and I need to go to maxis and change my contract as I am paying A LOT more than that with no free calls / SMS!! Thanks for the heads up Atilla.
mnicol is offline  
Old Feb 16th 2011, 9:11 am
  #6  
BE Enthusiast
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: Malaysia / Thailand
Posts: 302
Atilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really nice
Default Re: Tourist/PAYG SIM - iPhone??

You're welcome. These contracts are a pain to fathom at times. I have a quick checklist I go through after a similar experience in the UAE. I just check up front costs, full costs over 2 years, minutes, data, texts and coverage. More of a minefield in the UK as so many providers (albeit not for iPhone). I always run the figures just before I sign up as it's easy to get suckered into the next "Don't miss this amazing deal"

Maxis link: http://www.maxis.com.my/personal/iphone4/rates.asp

Last edited by Atilla; Feb 16th 2011 at 9:14 am.
Atilla is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.