Too hot

Old Mar 17th 2016, 6:08 am
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Too hot

Originally Posted by NeonHippy
Surely for using so many words to say not very much his dissertation is worthy of a chair.

For bb's benefit, the earth is slightly tilted on its axis so that as it orbits the sun it has a more northerly attitude facing the sun during the summer months and a more southerly attitude facing the sun during the winter months. It is at its most southerly position (23.5°S) on the winter solstice (around Dec 21), moves up until it crosses the equator on the spring equinox (around March 21) reaching its most northerly position (23.5°N) on the summer solstice (around Dec 21). It then moves back south, crossing the equator again on the autumn equinox (around Sep 21).

So as Penang is near the equator the sun will be directly overhead two times a year. But Penang sits at a latitude of 5.4 °N so the sun won't be directly overhead until, I am guessing, about 3 weeks after the spring equinox and 3 weeks before the autumn equinox. Which by my calculation means the temperature won't peak until the middle of April.
According to this Sun & moon times today, George Town, Malaysia it will be on Sunday.
Old Mar 17th 2016, 6:12 am
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quiltman
If you have any spare rain please send it over to us. Reservoirs are nearly dry , really hot most days - around 33/34 - and quite humid. Having to drink lots of canned liquid to keep hydrated but think there's something not quite right as I have a heck of a headache each morning!
Old Mar 17th 2016, 6:50 am
BE Enthusiast

NeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by InVinoVeritas
According to this Sun & moon times today, George Town, Malaysia it will be on Sunday.
Yes Sunday is the spring equinox. The sun is at its zenith on 4th April.

Day and Night World Map

Last edited by NeonHippy; Mar 17th 2016 at 6:52 am.
Old Mar 17th 2016, 8:50 am
BE Enthusiast

SushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond repute

So as Penang is near the equator the sun will be directly overhead two times a year. But Penang sits at a latitude of 5.4 °N so the sun won't be directly overhead until, I am guessing, about 3 weeks after the spring equinox and 3 weeks before the autumn equinox. Which by my calculation means the temperature won't peak until the middle of April.
My understanding of the story is not so much that the sun is directly overhead, but that the day is the longest and the night is shortest on the equinox days. Thus the place has less time to cool down and more time to heat up.
(By the way: both equinox days are National Holidays in Japan.)
Old Mar 17th 2016, 8:59 am
BE Enthusiast

NeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SushiFan
My understanding of the story is not so much that the sun is directly overhead, but that the day is the longest and the night is shortest on the equinox days. Thus the place has less time to cool down and more time to heat up.
(By the way: both equinox days are National Holidays in Japan.)
Sushifan, I think you are getting confused with the solstice days. On the summer solstice the days are long in the northern hemisphere (midsummer day) and short in the southern hemisphere. On the winter solstice days are short in the northern hemisphere and long in the southern one. In fact if you travel far enough north on midsummer's day any where inside the Arctic circle the sun never sets below the horizon.

Equinox means 'equal night' and refers to the day when there is 12 hours day and 12 hours night over the equator.
Old Mar 17th 2016, 9:18 am
Hostage Negotiator

Yes Sunday is the spring equinox. The sun is at its zenith on 4th April.

Day and Night World Map
And the longest day is not until the 21st June! We just have to hope for rain
Old Mar 17th 2016, 9:28 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

The Thais always reckoned that the big rains came during Songkran. This year that starts on April 13th....so....... we shall see.
Old Mar 18th 2016, 6:06 am
BE Enthusiast

SushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond repute

Sushifan, I think you are getting confused with the solstice days. On the summer solstice the days are long in the northern hemisphere (midsummer day) and short in the southern hemisphere. On the winter solstice days are short in the northern hemisphere and long in the southern one. In fact if you travel far enough north on midsummer's day any where inside the Arctic circle the sun never sets below the horizon.

Equinox means 'equal night' and refers to the day when there is 12 hours day and 12 hours night over the equator.
To be honest: I thought the same thing. However, the dr. in that newspaper article seems to have a different opinion:
Originally Posted by Dr Mazlan Hashim
This is not the first of such phenomenon as it takes place twice a year in March and September where the sun is located directly above the equator with the Peninsular being hit with the highest degree of heat.

Director of the Institute of Geospatial Science & Technology, Professor Dr Mazlan Hashim said that the phenomenon will cause a longer daytime period compared to normal times.
Old Mar 18th 2016, 7:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Davita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond repute

Not wishing to get embroiled in the definition of Solstice and Equinox except to say I noticed, in winter in Vancouver, it gets dark around 5 PM and, in summer, around 10PM.
In Singapore it gets dark about 6-7PM every day.
More important for us that live in the tropics is to heed this.....

Old Mar 28th 2016, 11:31 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

A few of my farcebook friends are saying there was a big storm last night, thunder, lightning and the works. Really? I heard nothing and looks dry as a bone out there this morning..... at least in Tg Tg.
Old Mar 29th 2016, 1:08 am
Hostage Negotiator

Originally Posted by bakedbean
A few of my farcebook friends are saying there was a big storm last night, thunder, lightning and the works. Really? I heard nothing and looks dry as a bone out there this morning..... at least in Tg Tg.
Yes big thunderstorm last night around 11pm. Can't imagine anyone sleeping through that
Old Mar 29th 2016, 5:43 am

Had an early night last night so I guess I slept better than I thought I did
Old Mar 29th 2016, 7:27 am
BE Enthusiast

I'm impressed that you were able to sleep through that BB. Maybe you've been desensitised by all the fireworks in recent weeks to notice any thunderstorm.
It was rather impressive between 11PM and midnight, with very low visibility (< 1 km), lightning, thunder, lots of rain and strong wind.
Old Mar 29th 2016, 8:08 am

Might've been desensitized by the 3 glasses of wine
Old Mar 29th 2016, 8:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Davita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bakedbean
Might've been desensitized by the 3 glasses of wine
BB you get desensitized on 3 glasses of wine? Where were you when I was at the dating age...a cheap date like you was mecca for me...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.