Tips for Malaysia Newbies moving from the UK

Tips for Malaysia Newbies moving from the UK

Old Sep 9th 2015, 3:39 pm
Just Joined

Lynstu is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Tips for Malaysia Newbies moving from the UK

Originally Posted by JC3
Hi,

This is for Lynstu and other newbies planning to move to Malaysia. Please feel free to add to the list!

Here’s a few tips if you are planning to move to Malaysia permanently, such as on an MM2H visa.

1. UK Driving Licence

As the law in Malaysia currently stands, there is no need to obtain an IDP. You will be able to drive using your UK Driving Licence.
But, depending on:
a) how long you intend to live in Malaysia, and
b) how much longer the photo on your licence remains valid (the maximum is 10 years).
you may want to think about getting a new UK licence (with an up to date photo) before you leave the UK so that it will be valid for the full ten years.
This is because if you decide not to get a Malaysian licence and to only use your UK licence in Malaysia, you may find that your UK licence is invalid in the UK when you’re back on a visit because your photo (not the licence itself) has expired.
A few things to note:
• UK driving licences are address based, and only can only carry your UK address.
• If you apply for a new photocard licence, the DVLA will only send it to the UK address shown on the licence.
• If you’re moving abroad, you can’t register your new overseas address on your UK driving licence.
• The DVLA won’t renew your photo-ID whilst you are living abroad.
• To apply for a UK driving licence, you must be normally resident in the UK for more than 185 days, and declare that you are resident in the UK
• It is a criminal offence to make a false declaration to get a UK driving licence, doing so can lead to a prosecution and a maximum penalty of two years imprisonment.
This all gets complicated from Malaysia, it’s probably better to sort it out before you leave the UK.

2. Health Insurance
If you will be buying private medical insurance in Malaysia it’s a good idea to get a copy of your medical records from your UK GP before you leave. The insurer here will want full details if you’ve had any serious health issues. Also quite a few local health insurers won’t accept you once you turn 61, so if you’re 60 already do the research early.

3. Car Insurance
Get a copy of your No Claims Bonus before you leave the UK. It will be valid in Malaysia.

4. Post
If you plan to move to Penang and are visiting beforehand, it’s worthwhile opening a PO BOX at the General Post Office on Downing Street in Georgetown whilst you are here. Then you will have a forwarding address for your UK post from the get go. It’s very cheap to do.

5. Rent or Buy a property.
Definitely rent first. Rental is very cheap (excess supply) and there is a lot to learn. Note that if you buy a property, it takes up to 6 months to get the keys from the date that you sign the Sale & Purchase Agreement (SPA) – even for ‘second-hand’ property. Much longer than in the UK. This probably means that you will be renting for more than a year initially, so if you take a fixed one year lease initially, make sure you add to your tenancy agreement the option to continue thereafter - ideally on a more flexible monthly or quarterly basis in year two.

6. MM2H Conditional Approval Letter
[/B]This letter seems to carry ‘more weight’ with banks, utility companies etc. than the actual visa stamped in your passport later on. So look after it!

7. MM2H Staff
Don't be scared. They're on your side! Generally very helpful if you call them. But they rarely respond to emails.

Good luck!

JC3
Thank you this is really helpful!
Old Sep 11th 2015, 1:28 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by themajor
Many moons ago I served with the Army in Malaya and Borneo. I am thinking it just might be a nice place to live if not go for a hiliday anyway to see what has changed.

I am a bit old in the tooth now so would probably not move, however who knows what the future will hold and of course ........My wife would have a lot to say about it as well.
I'll swap with you, if you like

You'd probably do well to holiday here during Winter. Escape the Cyprus winter. The humidity comes down a bit from about November.
Old Sep 11th 2015, 2:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

themajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bakedbean
I'll swap with you, if you like

You'd probably do well to holiday here during Winter. Escape the Cyprus winter. The humidity comes down a bit from about November.
Swap is not on. But thanks Thank you for the info.
Old Sep 11th 2015, 11:21 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Was only joking
Old Sep 12th 2015, 6:48 am
BE Forum Addict

themajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bakedbean
Was only joking
I knew you were. Just my serious response I suppose. Have a great weekend.

Cheers
Attached Images  
Old Sep 14th 2015, 8:23 am
JC3
¿uo buıob s,ʇɐɥʍ

JC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JC3
We live on Penang island in a house.

Rates cost - I can't remember, but I would if it was expensive!

JC3
I just came across my Penang council tax bill. It's paid twice a year. The annual total is RM666 - about GBP100.

JC3
Old Sep 18th 2015, 1:43 am
JC3
¿uo buıob s,ʇɐɥʍ

JC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JC3
Hi,

Here’s a few tips if you are planning to move to Malaysia permanently, such as on an MM2H visa.

1. UK Driving Licence

As the law in Malaysia currently stands, there is no need to obtain an IDP. You will be able to drive using your UK Driving Licence.
But, depending on:
a) how long you intend to live in Malaysia, and
b) how much longer the photo on your licence remains valid (the maximum is 10 years).
you may want to think about getting a new UK licence (with an up to date photo) before you leave the UK so that it will be valid for the full ten years.
This is because if you decide not to get a Malaysian licence and to only use your UK licence in Malaysia, you may find that your UK licence is invalid in the UK when you’re back on a visit because your photo (not the licence itself) has expired.
A few things to note:
• UK driving licences are address based, and only can only carry your UK address.
• If you apply for a new photocard licence, the DVLA will only send it to the UK address shown on the licence.
• If you’re moving abroad, you can’t register your new overseas address on your UK driving licence.
• The DVLA won’t renew your photo-ID whilst you are living abroad.
• To apply for a UK driving licence, you must be normally resident in the UK for more than 185 days, and declare that you are resident in the UK
• It is a criminal offence to make a false declaration to get a UK driving licence, doing so can lead to a prosecution and a maximum penalty of two years imprisonment.
This all gets complicated from Malaysia, it’s probably better to sort it out before you leave the UK.

JC3
In another thread NeonHippy has helpfully pointed out that if a Brit becomes non-uk resident then his/her UK driving licence becomes invalid under UK law. See below:

"UK law is clear that you cannot hold a valid UK licence unless you are a UK resident. If you are out of the country for >3 months FCO think you are non-resident whilst HMRC will expect you to be out of the country for >6 month before they declare you non-resident".

As stated on the Malaysian JPJ website you can only use a foreign driving licence in Malaysia “so long as the license remains in force in that State”.

So do you need a Malaysian driving licence?

A case for

Clearly you should get a Malaysia driving licence if your UK licence is invalid by virtue of you being non-uk resident.

The attached flowchart may help you determine your UK residency - see also:

http://www.kpmg.com/UK/en/IssuesAndI...-flowchart.pdf

It’s worth remembering that if you get a Malaysian Driving Licence, Malaysia allows you to still keep your UK licence (i.e. you are not required by Malaysia to surrender it).

Get a Malaysia Driving Licence. We Brits like our rules and regs!

A case against

I think it would be too troublesome for Malaysia and the motor insurers to delve into whether or not you are resident in your home country and whether or not that technically invalidates your driving licence under your home country’s rules – given that different countries have different rules. Far too much work involved for no real gain. I haven’t heard of any cases where this has happened. I believe most motor insurers don’t ask such questions on the application form and would therefore struggle to invalidate an insurance claim on that basis. Indeed it would be counterproductive for them to do so.

If you were convicted for driving without a valid driving licence in Malaysia you could be fined up to RM1,000 (£150) or up to three months in jail, or both. I think jail is extremely unlikely if you have a UK licence – even if technically invalid.

So a maximum fine of £150 for something that’s very unlikely to happen. And you'd need to be convicted. Relax chaps, this is Malaysia!

You decide...

JC3
Attached Files
Old Sep 18th 2015, 6:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute

Things seemed to have changed a bit or was there a category 'non UK resident for tax purposes', which may or may not have changed to 'non UK resident.

I was certainly non UK resident for tax purposes for many years but when I was on holiday in the UK I drove my car. Was I breaking the law??
And if you 'lose' your license can you get it back without taking the full driving test??
Old Sep 19th 2015, 5:17 am
BE Enthusiast

NeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ex reg
Things seemed to have changed a bit or was there a category 'non UK resident for tax purposes', which may or may not have changed to 'non UK resident.

I was certainly non UK resident for tax purposes for many years but when I was on holiday in the UK I drove my car. Was I breaking the law??
And if you 'lose' your license can you get it back without taking the full driving test??
Technically you may well have been breaking the law. Your driving licence must show your current UK address. So the authorities can trace you for traffic infringements. If however you were working overseas while your family remained in your home in the UK, for instance, then you would not be breaking the law.

When applying for a replacement licence, yes there is a box to tick if you have lost your current licence. You are also required to give your residential addresses for the past three years.

Back in the day you probably would have got away with it as a casual look at your licence would convince most officers but these days they connected to DVLA and your licence would flag if you have converted your UK licence for a Malay one.
Old Sep 19th 2015, 4:03 pm
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NeonHippy
Back in the day you probably would have got away with it as a casual look at your licence would convince most officers but these days they connected to DVLA and your licence would flag if you have converted your UK licence for a Malay one.
I don't think this bit is correct, your UK licence is not "converted" at all, you are simply issued a Malaysian licence by "showing" your UK licence plus your MM2H visa. The DVLA will never know about it.
Old Sep 19th 2015, 6:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

NeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by InVinoVeritas
I don't think this bit is correct, your UK licence is not "converted" at all, you are simply issued a Malaysian licence by "showing" your UK licence plus your MM2H visa. The DVLA will never know about it.
Interesting, here is the quote from FCO web page for lIving in Malaysia.

Before applying for conversion of your driving licence you will need to obtain a certificate of entitlement from the DVLA, please telephone the DVLA on +44 1792 782341 and request a Certificate of Entitlement ( D737). This can be issued to you by post or fax, and there is a fee for this service.

I accept practical experience trumps following due process but I'm not sure it makes it right. As, I think it was JC3, stated we brits love our rules.
Old Sep 20th 2015, 6:29 am
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NeonHippy
Interesting, here is the quote from FCO web page for lIving in Malaysia.

Before applying for conversion of your driving licence you will need to obtain a certificate of entitlement from the DVLA, please telephone the DVLA on +44 1792 782341 and request a Certificate of Entitlement ( D737). This can be issued to you by post or fax, and there is a fee for this service.

I accept practical experience trumps following due process but I'm not sure it makes it right. As, I think it was JC3, stated we brits love our rules.
The Certificate of Entitlement is purely to prove that your licence is still valid. They asked me for one but I have a French licence and the French will not provide such a certificate as it it breaches some privacy law. They still gave me the Malaysia licence.
Old Sep 25th 2015, 9:44 am
JC3
¿uo buıob s,ʇɐɥʍ

If you are moving to Malaysia here’s a ‘factsheet’ from FIDI that may help you.

FIDI is “the global alliance of professional international moving and relocation companies, specialised in moving household goods and personal effects from one country to another, from one continent to another, according to the best quality standards”.

JC3
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
FIDI Malaysia Removals.pdf (104.9 KB, 221 views)
Old Sep 27th 2015, 6:05 pm
Forum Regular

InFlagranteDelicto is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JC3
If you were convicted for driving without a valid driving licence in Malaysia you could be fined up to RM1,000 (£150) or up to three months in jail, or both. I think jail is extremely unlikely if you have a UK licence – even if technically invalid.

So a maximum fine of £150 for something that’s very unlikely to happen. And you'd need to be convicted. Relax chaps, this is Malaysia!

You decide...

JC3
Agree with JC3 that it is very unlikely to be a problem. I drove for 6 yrs on a foreign license only in Malaysia. Was pulled over 3 times but they didnt seem to mind that I only had a foreign license.
Old Oct 4th 2015, 9:11 am
Forum Regular

meinkl has a reputation beyond reputemeinkl has a reputation beyond reputemeinkl has a reputation beyond reputemeinkl has a reputation beyond reputemeinkl has a reputation beyond reputemeinkl has a reputation beyond reputemeinkl has a reputation beyond reputemeinkl has a reputation beyond reputemeinkl has a reputation beyond reputemeinkl has a reputation beyond reputemeinkl has a reputation beyond repute

I might know someone who knows someone who has just renewed his UK licence online (via a relatives UK address). He says it arrived 1 weeks later via the same route.
I told him that it was technically invalid as that is not his permanent address any more, albeit the one he uses when returning on visits.
He should get a local (Malaysian) licence at the JPJ office. The UK one is not taken off him, just used to verify classes able to drive.
That same person used to show the UK licence when stopped (hardly ever because the person in question was a good boy) and it was never questioned as it had a picture on it and was in English.
However they were 'technically' in the wrong.
In short - when you go to JPJ to do your newly aquired (used) vehicle registration transfer then get a MY licence at the same time... makes the long queue worthwhile.. and take a good book.

As far as insurance goes the car is insured not the driver in Malaysia so as long as the driver has an appropriate licence for the vehicle and has permission to drive the car (policy holder or named driver) then it is covered.
NCB can be transferred if less than 2 year ago.. might not get the full discount straight away though.
Happy motoring.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.