Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia
Reload this Page >

Things to take and things to leave

Things to take and things to leave

Old Oct 15th 2012, 10:38 am
Forum Regular

movin2malaysia is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Things to take and things to leave

Some questions about what to take and leave when we move to Malaysia. Any suggestions would be great.
1.I think all our UK electronic items will work in Malaysia as the system seems the same?
2.Should we bring our own furniture (oak dinning table and large 3 seater sofas?) or should we purchase new when we get there? I am thinking that we will limit ourselves to the type of house/apartment if we have to accommodate our current furniture size? Or are unfurnished large apartments easy to get? (Remember UK houses are tiny generally and therefore getting the right size furniture is a must.)
3.Are childrens toys available widely or should we stock up on Lego/ playmobil etc?! Is there enough choice available?

Regards
Old Oct 15th 2012, 10:39 am
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Things to take and things to leave

Are you selling up in UK or just moving to Malaysia with the intention of return visits to UK???
Old Oct 15th 2012, 10:42 am
Forum Regular

We are moving to Malaysia for 2/3 years. We are not selling our house in UK. We have option to either take all our stuff or sell/store it.
Old Oct 15th 2012, 11:18 am
ajw

Location: Melbourne - London - Bangkok - Melbourne - Kuala Lumpur - Melbourne
ajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond repute

I would bring it. You can get very large apartments here; makes the places in the UK look tiny (which isn't hard!)
Old Oct 15th 2012, 11:31 am
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute

So are you letting your UK property?

Personally I'd leave it there and buy new here.
OK you'll have stuff which generally will not be worth anything when you try to sell it here so either take that back or just sell it 10cents on the dollar.

It's a personal choice though.
Old Oct 15th 2012, 11:38 am
Forum Regular

Yes we are letting our property in UK. But we will not leave our stuff in the house because I was told that it will not add to the rent nor will it make it any easier to find renters.
I dont want to end up with two sets of sofas and table/chairs when we return to UK. I am also guessing it will not be cheap to buy good quality furniture in malaysia.

Last edited by movin2malaysia; Oct 15th 2012 at 11:45 am.
Old Oct 15th 2012, 11:57 am
Forum Regular

Also moving furniture is being paid by company so wont cost anything.
Just to confirm my TV and other electronics will work just fine in malaysia ?
Old Oct 15th 2012, 12:10 pm
Forum Regular

whybirda is just really nicewhybirda is just really nicewhybirda is just really nicewhybirda is just really nicewhybirda is just really nicewhybirda is just really nicewhybirda is just really nicewhybirda is just really nice

Hi there, we shipped very little and sold most of our big furniture items and TV's as we rented our house out in the UK unfurnished.

You can buy electrical goods and furniture over here quite cheaply, so that's what we've done, oh and BTW we are here for 3 years to start with.
Old Oct 15th 2012, 1:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by movin2malaysia
Also moving furniture is being paid by company so wont cost anything.
I dunno what the figures are but I'd guess more properties come furnished or partially furnished in Malaysia, they certainly do in Singapore.
You might not like the furniture but you can ask for it to be changed and they might do it for nothing or they might add on a bit to the rent.

You might have to wait between 6 and 8 weeks for your furniture to arrive from UK.
Old Oct 15th 2012, 2:24 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

As exReg says, seems crazy moving furniture for 2-3 years then back again, but on t'other hand if it's being paid for, and you're happy with a few dings n dents on both journeys then why not.

I don't find furniture good quality here. Workmanship in Malaysia is pretty iffy. Much better furniture in Thailand not cheap though
Old Oct 15th 2012, 2:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

And of course there is the climate to consider.
Hot and humid equatorial instead of coolish low humidity temperate.
Not all furniture can make that change.
Certainly some of the stuff I've taken back to UK couldn't. Other stuff has managed quite a few changes in climate without any problems.
Old Oct 17th 2012, 2:36 pm
Just Joined

TravellingKate is an unknown quantity at this point

We moved into a large unfurnished apartment. Many of the ones I looked at were unfurnished - certainly all the brand new ones - or had minimal furniture.
We're used to living in fully furnished places in the UK - most seemed to be - so didn't have any to bring anyway, but if we did, and shipping was free, I would have brought it, why not? Better than paying for storage. Also I think furniture here is relatively expensive and, like BB says, not amazing quality. Seems to be either really high end designer or really budget and yuk. If anyone knows of places that do otherwise, I'd love to hear. I'm wearing a path between my place and Ikea currently...
Electrical plugs the same as UK.
And toys galore.
Old Oct 17th 2012, 3:11 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Kate. Good to hear about the Toys. We are bringing most of our furniture and getting rid of some.
Old Nov 9th 2012, 11:11 pm
Forum Regular

winston_1 is a splendid one to beholdwinston_1 is a splendid one to beholdwinston_1 is a splendid one to beholdwinston_1 is a splendid one to beholdwinston_1 is a splendid one to beholdwinston_1 is a splendid one to beholdwinston_1 is a splendid one to beholdwinston_1 is a splendid one to beholdwinston_1 is a splendid one to beholdwinston_1 is a splendid one to beholdwinston_1 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by movin2malaysia
TV in Malaysia is still analogue and PAL BG. UK analogue was PAL I so is not compatible and there will be no sound. Having said that some modern UK TVs can be switched to PAL BG, check the TVs menus. Also check it will tune VHF channels 2 to 12, many UK TVs only tune 21 to 69.
Old Nov 10th 2012, 12:27 am
ajw

Location: Melbourne - London - Bangkok - Melbourne - Kuala Lumpur - Melbourne
ajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond repute

We brought all our toys and I'm glad we did. The branded toys are far more expensive here than in the UK.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.