British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Malaysia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/malaysia-148/)
-   -   Sunny Penang - what's everyone up to? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/malaysia-148/sunny-penang-whats-everyone-up-775329/)

bakedbean Oct 22nd 2012 2:20 am

Sunny Penang - what's everyone up to?

It's Monday and another gorgeous sunny day in Penang. What's everyone up to out there? Doing anything exciting this week?

I am chugging along in a quiet and slow retired haze. Off to the supermarket this morning (exciting eh?). Must think about getting some jabs done (overdue). A bit of reading, a bit of cooking, a bit of internet, a bit of walking, a bit of learning Malay. Going out for a little drive tomorrow. That's about it. How about you?

PenangIsGreat Oct 23rd 2012 3:33 pm

Re: Sunny Penang - what's everyone up to?

All, I've been doing is eating, eating, and more eating. I love my food. Been trying alot of different places my friends have been recommending. Going to Fishermans Wharf for a set dinner in a private room with karaoke tomorrow night. Maybe checking out movies at Gurney Plaza or Queensbay Mall. Been to Batu Ferringhi Beach for a nice afternoon stroll the other day. Didn't realise that the prices in the Batu Ferringhi tourist belt is alot more expensive than local prices. Probably going shopping too at Gurney Plaza or Queensbay Mall. Need some clothes and souveniers to bring back to UK. Then planning on eating more local foods or some western food depending what I feel like since the price is so much cheaper than UK prices. I'll just have to go running again when I get back :)

akee Oct 24th 2012 3:10 am

For me it is classes and entertaining potential buyers for my house in Tanjung Bungah... :) Heading to Kuching this weekend.

bakedbean Oct 24th 2012 5:30 am

Originally Posted by PenangIsGreat (Post 10345572)
Need some clothes and souveniers to bring back to UK.

Have you been to Straits Quay yet? Nice place to walk around by the waterfront, admire all the glitzy yachts. I went down there this morning.

Re: souvenirs, depending on what you want to spend, there's a Selangor Pewter shop down at Straits Quay. Not cheap mind, but very nice stuff if you want to spend a few bob.

Gurney Plaza is a good place to browse around.

bakedbean Oct 24th 2012 5:34 am

Originally Posted by akee (Post 10346545)
For me it is classes and entertaining potential buyers for my house in Tanjung Bungah... :) Heading to Kuching this weekend.

Oh, are you moving? Staying in Tg Bungah? I like Tg Bungah.

By the way, probably a bit of a longshot, but BE has a Classifieds section on this forum. You can advertise your house on there if you wish. Just go check out on the Classifieds tab above on the blue strip.

akee Oct 25th 2012 9:55 am

Thanks bakedbean... Yeah! I am from Tg Bungah. There is no place like home.

Thanks for the heads up. Maybe after I get back from Kuching, I will put up an ad. I actually have a buyer from the UK who is looking for a partner investor (50/50) to purchase this property of mine. But for now, I am contacting all the local buyers first.

I heard too that minimum house investments for expats have been increased to 2M and above. Guess that sucks! :(

bakedbean Oct 25th 2012 2:27 pm

Penang has different thresholds for (a) foreigners and (b) MM2h foreigners. I guess you may know that?

I know for condos, mm2hers can buy at 500k. other foreigners it's 1 million. i'm not sure about landed.

Jim Smith Oct 25th 2012 6:57 pm

Originally Posted by bakedbean (Post 10342753)
It's Monday and another gorgeous sunny day in Penang. What's everyone up to out there? Doing anything exciting this week?

I am chugging along in a quiet and slow retired haze. Off to the supermarket this morning (exciting eh?). Must think about getting some jabs done (overdue). A bit of reading, a bit of cooking, a bit of internet, a bit of walking, a bit of learning Malay. Going out for a little drive tomorrow. That's about it. How about you?

Well glad to hear you are having some good weather. It is about the time I had hoped to retire and set up in Penang. Unfortunately other events have overtaken me and sadly don't think it will happen now!

Nice here in Dubai too. 32-35C and humidity way down!

bakedbean Oct 26th 2012 6:22 am

Sorry to hear that Jim. That's a pity for you. Hope it's nothing too untoward. Life is full of surprises and plans get changed. That's happened to us many times.

I imagine you've got the best of Dubai weather coming up?

Jim Smith Oct 27th 2012 6:42 am

Originally Posted by bakedbean (Post 10350521)
Sorry to hear that Jim. That's a pity for you. Hope it's nothing too untoward. Life is full of surprises and plans get changed. That's happened to us many times.

I imagine you've got the best of Dubai weather coming up?

Indeed we are in the 5-6 months of wonderful winter weather! Sent you a PM.
Jim.

bakedbean Oct 27th 2012 7:51 am

Yes that's what I figured, Jim. I've just sent a reply to your PM.... this is probably the longest PM I've ever written :D You'll understand why when you read it.

If anyone is interested, it's still hot and sunny in Penang today. Has monsoon finished? I suppose it has :thumbup:

bakedbean Nov 11th 2012 12:20 pm

Don't know about you but plenty of mini-explosions going off here....build up to Deepavali on Tuesday I guess.

bakedbean Dec 8th 2012 3:33 am

1 Attachment(s)
What a gorgeous day. I drove over to Tanjung Bungah pos office today to post my Christmas cards to far flung places. Do you bother with Christmas cards these days? I'm whittling mine down to ancient aunties and those too old to use internet. The numbers are going down each year.

Decided to park up by the beach there and have a little stroll along the beach. It ain't the best beach in the world but, on the other hand, it isn't bad.

bakedbean Dec 8th 2012 3:35 am

1 Attachment(s)
Here's another one. I'm in snap happy mood today :)

Glad I'm not in UK in the snow.... brrrrrrr

Scrasey2 Dec 8th 2012 3:39 am

I send cards to immediate family and some friends but I order mine online to go direct to the recipient.

There are 2 quite good websites that I use and they normally arrive the following day.

I have been receiving e-cards of late which aren't quite the same as receiving an actual card but costs nothing - thought that counts!

It is indeed another beautiful day here and I'm just about to go for a swim. So glad I'm not back in freezing cold England! LOL.

kennyboy33 Dec 8th 2012 7:43 am

Are paper Xmas cards slowly going the way of UK high street shops I wonder..soon to be extinct?

wife and I coming over to live in week or two on mm2h.Certainly will not miss English weather..awful

Those pics look great bb.

think we will rent for a while in Penang area..before buying in Sungai Petani.wife is originally from M'sia. sorry, i've gone right off topic !

Kenny

bakedbean Dec 8th 2012 12:16 pm

Not off topic at all Kenny. Quite a lot of expat ladies here in Penang are originally from Malaysia too. How long will you stay in Penang?

kennyboy33 Dec 8th 2012 3:11 pm

Well most likely around a year or so maybe BB, or at least until bought a house in Kedah. Mrs Kenny seems to think a house price fall is on its way soon..mmm not too sure.

Any particular areas you recommend in Penang? seem to be a shed loads of apartments for rent .ideally would like 3 or even 4 bed fully furnished house though.hopefully under rm 1k a month if thats doable. :unsure:

The Mudah website is very useful.

bakedbean Dec 9th 2012 2:58 am

You'll be lucky to get a titchy sized apartment for RM 1000 a month, at least up in the north of the island.

I would have thought that it would be far cheaper to rent in Sungai Petani. Any reason why you want to rent in Penang?

Yes, Mudah is a good starting point to research. Loads of other websites too.

Re: where the expat retirees live, check out this thread:
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=761892

If you don't wish to mingle with expat retirees :D also check out the south of the island, which is developing fast (due to the proximity to the second bridge which should be complete next year). Also handy for the airport. Some nice little areas down there.

Have you been to Penang before? I cannot remember what you posted before. Best to hire a car and drive around and get a feel for the different locations.

kennyboy33 Dec 9th 2012 6:42 am

yeah might just rent in Sungai Petani..we're keeping our plans very flexible.wife is Chinese Malaysian and she seems to be leaning towards Penang i think.and also the huge choice of life there.perhaps an apartment Penang way.

I visited back in the early 90's..loads of change since then all over I'm certain

staying at wife's families house in KL to start with,take it from there really.

bakedbean Dec 9th 2012 7:03 am

Originally Posted by kennyboy33 (Post 10423899)

staying at wife's families house in KL to start with,take it from there really.

That's handy :) Yes, just need to check places out and see if they feel like "home". I've not yet visited Sungai Petani but hear that it's nice - obviously going to be a lot quieter than Penang. Having said that, you can find quiet places on Penang island. Once you drive beyond Bt Ferringhi, it's like a different world.

mikemike Dec 9th 2012 9:10 am

Originally Posted by kennyboy33 (Post 10423201)
Well most likely around a year or so maybe BB, or at least until bought a house in Kedah. Mrs Kenny seems to think a house price fall is on its way soon..mmm not too sure.

Any particular areas you recommend in Penang? seem to be a shed loads of apartments for rent .ideally would like 3 or even 4 bed fully furnished house though.hopefully under rm 1k a month if thats doable. :unsure:

The Mudah website is very useful.

Hi there any reason why Mrs kenny thinks that price drop is coming as prices have been pretty depressed here for a while now. Or do we blame it on the tea leaves:p

kennyboy33 Dec 9th 2012 10:18 am

could be the tea leaves

kennyboy33 Dec 9th 2012 10:29 am

what ,would anyone who knows say, are the pros and cons of apartment living
in Penang?

bakedbean Dec 9th 2012 12:04 pm

Sounds like a good topic for a new thread :) Do ya wanna kick it off?

bakedbean Dec 18th 2012 2:46 am

Another sunny day today. What's everyone up to?

I've been mostly fiddlin' about on the computer, fiddlin' about in the kitchen, and had a little walk this morning in the condo gardens. Out for gossip and coffees with some other MM2Hers this afternoon. Thinking that I've not had a Penang Assam Laksa for some weeks.... could be tonight maybe.

Scrasey2 Dec 18th 2012 2:58 am

I've just got back from a big shop in Cold Storage in Gurney Plaza. Just got the last few bits and bobs for Christmas. Bit of a breeze in the air this morning so was a lovely walk down.

Waiting in now for courier delivery for last 2 Christmas pressies.

Nothing very exciting today!

bakedbean Dec 18th 2012 8:00 am

I like your snowman :) Of course wouldn't last 5 seconds here. My car thermostat reckoned it was 35 degrees outside this afternoon. Building up to a storm I reckon.

Scrasey2 Dec 18th 2012 9:09 am

Ha! Seems you were right!! Pouring down now.

bakedbean Dec 19th 2012 8:52 am

Yes... and another big lot just now.

bakedbean Dec 23rd 2012 7:18 am

1 Attachment(s)
This morning I went for a walk down at Straits Quay. Very nice and surprisingly quiet. I'm trying to work out what mountain this is. Does anyone know? I might have to get on google earth and work it out otherwise.

akee Dec 29th 2012 10:33 am

Gunung Jerai in Kedah.

bakedbean Dec 30th 2012 2:29 am

Thank you, thank you :) That's what I suspected. Now that's somewhere I really must go and see one of these fine days.

bakedbean Dec 30th 2012 2:39 am

1 Attachment(s)
Talking of Sunny Penang... it was rather yesterday. Went over to Bt Ferringhi with friends for a snacky lunch. B Ferringhi is a funny ol' place. I used to dislike it. Now I do like it :o It can be a bit touristy and tacky in parts.

I think Penang is not particularly rated for its beaches but you can find a few nice bits here and there. Took this pic right in the heart of the touristy bit :) Ah... could be worse.

cheynewalk Dec 30th 2012 6:16 am

beaches are a bit underrated in penang ....... there are some quite nice ones on the way to telok bahang from batu ferringhi ...... not the greatest perhaps, but quite passable

bakedbean Dec 30th 2012 6:20 am

Yes I agree with you. I haven't fiddled with that photo (wouldn't know how to) but was surprised how good it looked somehow. Not a patch on Langkawi beaches though.

Hot and hazy day today. I think there will be a storm coming.

akee Dec 30th 2012 11:13 am

The last time I was at G. Jerai, there is just one challet serviced by a Malay group. They have quite interesting activities like staying in nylon tents out in the open with the wildlife around.

However I was quite saddened by the amount of garbage at the stream nearby that is opened to the Public. Sometimes the civil mindedness of us Malaysias can be very depressing.