studying in KL

Old Nov 24th 2013, 8:44 am
Forum Regular

nicola s has a reputation beyond reputenicola s has a reputation beyond reputenicola s has a reputation beyond reputenicola s has a reputation beyond reputenicola s has a reputation beyond reputenicola s has a reputation beyond reputenicola s has a reputation beyond reputenicola s has a reputation beyond reputenicola s has a reputation beyond reputenicola s has a reputation beyond reputenicola s has a reputation beyond repute
Default studying in KL

Hi everyone

sorry another question

I have been trying to look up places to study for my daughter, she is currently at college studying social sciences and wants to continue in this field the equivalent of HNC in Scotland she has seen courses in sociology at various campuses.

My question is this, for those of you who have teenagers at this stage of studying, what are the pros and cons of studying in KL, and what colleges, universities are best and is there easy travel options, (sorry I know that's 3) just seems to be a mine of info out there and unsure where to start.

thanks in advance, I am just about to leave for work and do 24 hours shifts so please don't think im ignoring any responses if you don't hear back from me today

Nicola
Old Nov 24th 2013, 11:28 am
ajw

Location: Melbourne - London - Bangkok - Melbourne - Kuala Lumpur - Melbourne
ajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: studying in KL

Hello,

Will these studies be at university level to obtain an undergraduate degree? What does she want to do career wise and will she need a good degree from a 'recognised' institution to do it?

Many middle class Malaysians who can afford to do so sent their kids to university in Aust, UK or the US. Simply put, the quality of higher education in Malaysia does not compare with what she could get in the UK. If she studies for a degree over here and then wants to work back in the UK, she might find it harder than those who have local degrees.

If she really wants to study here than Universities Malaya is the best of the bunch (I think). Not even sure if they take International students and it will be very Malay heavy due to the ethnic quotas stipulated here. She might want to take a look at the local campus of the U of Nottingham also.
Old Nov 25th 2013, 12:37 pm
Forum Regular

nicola s has a reputation beyond reputenicola s has a reputation beyond reputenicola s has a reputation beyond reputenicola s has a reputation beyond reputenicola s has a reputation beyond reputenicola s has a reputation beyond reputenicola s has a reputation beyond reputenicola s has a reputation beyond reputenicola s has a reputation beyond reputenicola s has a reputation beyond reputenicola s has a reputation beyond repute

thank you so much AJW she is unsure as yet what she wishes to be, as the job titles so far are criminologist, psychologist or something in the social field, so the broader studies of sociology or social sciences will allow her to decide, I did wonder if the qualifications would be recognised and that would be a lot of study that would then need repeated. Yes the course would be undergraduate level HNC is the equivalent of 1st year of studies then diploma then degree in Scotland. I shall look into this thank you so much for your advice, Nicola
Old Nov 26th 2013, 3:12 am
Just Joined

kuanming is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Nicola,

I agree with AJW, I myself graduated in Australia in 2008.

There are some great University in Malaysia such as Lim Kok Wing, IMU,

I would suggest to check what are your daughter's interest and to check if the course is available here in Malaysia, under which University Program and by which University.

You might be able to do a Twinning program as most Uni here does that.