Shipping Pointers??

Old Jun 13th 2011, 8:56 pm
Just Joined

Drummer-boy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Shipping Pointers??

Hi,
Can anyone recommend a good shipping company for a small amount of belongings to Malaysia?? Altogether it will be about the size of a wardrobe but fairly heavy - 80 Kilos.
I've been told of a couple of companies but if anyone can recommend anything cheap and reliable (probably goes without saying) that you've had a good experience of, that would be ace!
Many thanks.
Old Jun 14th 2011, 2:20 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping Pointers??

Hi Drummer Boy and welcome to BE I probably cannot help as our shipments have always been large ones (a container) but maybe someone will be along in a mo.

Maybe you can say which country you are sending from? UK?
Old Jun 14th 2011, 7:56 am
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute

We've shipped a lot of times between UK/HK/Singapore etc.
Last year we moved some stuff from UK back to Singapore using Crown Relocations.
I found that their packaging of the stuff in UK was better than I've ever experienced for care and professionalism.
The local delivery agent in Singapore although good did try on the old wheeze about extra dosh required to clear customs but I put him straight on that.

IIRC Crown gave us the cheapest quote out of the 4 we received but although you'll get different opinions I'd say most companies were much of a muchness.

BTW if you ship by sea rather than air then it's by volume that you are charged not weight.
Old Jun 14th 2011, 9:14 am
Forum Regular

mnicol has a brilliant futuremnicol has a brilliant futuremnicol has a brilliant futuremnicol has a brilliant futuremnicol has a brilliant futuremnicol has a brilliant futuremnicol has a brilliant future

I know people who have used Pickfords and also a company called Santa Fe but then that was for bigger shipments I think. My other piece of advice is don't use DHL - they are really good a losing things out here from my experience!!
Old Jun 14th 2011, 9:35 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by mnicol
I know people who have used Pickfords and also a company called Santa Fe but then that was for bigger shipments I think. My other piece of advice is don't use DHL - they are really good a losing things out here from my experience!!
Thanks all.
Yes, is from UK, sorry! I've been recommended Pickfords from a couple of people now and currently waiting on a quote. Most of the stuff being shipped includes musical instruments so want to make sure they handle with care, as well as being cheap.
Ex Reg - Realised today that by ship mean size so now have to measure up (after spending ages weighing it all!).
Thanks again.
Old Jun 15th 2011, 12:44 am
Forum Regular

joamelie has much to be proud ofjoamelie has much to be proud ofjoamelie has much to be proud ofjoamelie has much to be proud ofjoamelie has much to be proud ofjoamelie has much to be proud ofjoamelie has much to be proud ofjoamelie has much to be proud ofjoamelie has much to be proud ofjoamelie has much to be proud ofjoamelie has much to be proud of

We used Pal shipping when we came out.

http://www.shippingtomalaysia.com/

I was worried because they were so cheap, and then was more worried when the collection of boxes was so laid back...."just give us a ring when you have packed and we'll pick up within 2 weeks." But they picked up, they were helpful when I changed address in Malaysia before the stuff arrived, it came to the correct address, arrived in reasonable time and nothing was damaged. In fact, last time we moved 5 miles across a town in the UK using a packing and move service they did more damage to our stuff than Pal shipping did moving it 1/2 way across the world!

I would say they are worth a look!
Old Jun 15th 2011, 6:07 am
Forum Regular

Scrasey2 is just really niceScrasey2 is just really niceScrasey2 is just really niceScrasey2 is just really niceScrasey2 is just really niceScrasey2 is just really niceScrasey2 is just really niceScrasey2 is just really niceScrasey2 is just really nice

I moved out from Bristol, UK in February and used Pickfords - they were excellent and everything arrived in one piece including my Husband's keyboards and guitar.

We didn't have tons of stuff to bring as most went into storage for the time being and they quoted a very reasonable price.
Old Jun 15th 2011, 10:49 am
Just Joined

Thankyou all, very helpful and much appreciated!
Old Jun 16th 2011, 8:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Atilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really nice

Is the quote you are getting from Pickfords as a result of a consultant visit? I have just had Pickfords come today and have to say I was very impressed with both the prices and the service they offer.

I am fairly sure I will go with them. One thing with Pickfords I think is that they do have a good international presence and a lot of traffic so if you are waiting for a consignment to build up to allow you to ship in part of a container it will likely be less of a wait with them. I did find them very competitive on price (especially as they will throw in free storage in UK until my stuff is ready to ship). I tend to find that the reason some cheap alternatives are cheap becomes blindingly obvious when problems arise and/or damage occurs.
Old Jun 17th 2011, 4:16 pm
Just Joined

I'm starting to get some quotes back and being shocked by the amount they're charging. I'm not shipping that much (total of 0.689m3) but it looks like they have a minimum volume and charge.
Bit stuck now, don't know whether to just re-buy stuff over there or send by air, parcels??? Any suggestions??
Joamelie - I tried Pal but didn't understand much of what the lady was saying (and vice versa). Bit off putting but may be worth pursuing after your recommendations.
Atilla - Relatively, the Pickfords quote seemed quite middle of the road and they do have an excellent reputation so errr...
I read your blog. Looks like we're going to the same place around the same time! You've looked into things in a lot more detail than me so I may be in contact for more advice!!
Old Jun 17th 2011, 4:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Atilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really nice

No problem
Old Jun 17th 2011, 10:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Drummer-boy
I'm starting to get some quotes back and being shocked by the amount they're charging. I'm not shipping that much (total of 0.689m3) but it looks like they have a minimum volume and charge.
Bit stuck now, don't know whether to just re-buy stuff over there or send by air, parcels??? Any suggestions??
Joamelie - I tried Pal but didn't understand much of what the lady was saying (and vice versa). Bit off putting but may be worth pursuing after your recommendations.
Atilla - Relatively, the Pickfords quote seemed quite middle of the road and they do have an excellent reputation so errr...
I read your blog. Looks like we're going to the same place around the same time! You've looked into things in a lot more detail than me so I may be in contact for more advice!!
Care to say how much?
Old Jun 18th 2011, 6:16 am
BE Enthusiast

My prices from Pickfords, very reasonable IMO for door-to-door service. Good international coverage, good insurance and less time to wait for a consignment to build up if you are using only part of a container. They will also give me free storage in UK for 4-6 weeks to allow me to find a rental and VERY reasonable charges after that. They will also pack pretty much everything. Costs I was quoted:

180 cu ft (enough for all personal belongings, loads of books, kitchen equipment, some audio hifi, mountain bike, paintings): £1,500

580 cu ft (above plus three piece suite, dining table, bed and other furniture): £3,700

20 ft container: £5,500

Pickfords have also provided some very useful documentation which covers:

Customs procedures and points to be mindful of regarding your destination shipping country
Essential Preparation
Insurance
Paperwork
Packing
Transportation options
Useful checklists
Old Jun 18th 2011, 4:59 pm
Forum Regular

TopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud of

Can't remember who I chose for removals but, the one piece of advice I would give is get insurance.

I didn't & yes, a lot of my stuff got dented, damaged & scratched
Old Jun 20th 2011, 1:01 am
Forum Regular

joamelie has much to be proud ofjoamelie has much to be proud ofjoamelie has much to be proud ofjoamelie has much to be proud ofjoamelie has much to be proud ofjoamelie has much to be proud ofjoamelie has much to be proud ofjoamelie has much to be proud ofjoamelie has much to be proud ofjoamelie has much to be proud ofjoamelie has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Drummer-boy
Oh yes, I remember that bit..I had the same trouble too. A lot of their staff seem to be Malaysian, not always that hot in English. I think I worried about them not picking up because they were so laid back about it all, and I worried about the change of address because he said, sure just drop me an email. But as I said, it all turned up and in good order. We paid for insurance but didn't claim for anything.
When they picked up our boxes for shipping I had some boxes left over but couldn't find the receipt so he couldn't give me a refund. Of course as soon as he had left I found it. I faxed it to them the next day and a few days after that the reimbursed straight into my bank account.
Anyway, communication wise I found email a lot easier. This is the chaps email address: [email protected]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.