Safety in KL?

Old May 15th 2014, 6:01 pm
Just Joined

mushroomyakuza has a brilliant futuremushroomyakuza has a brilliant futuremushroomyakuza has a brilliant futuremushroomyakuza has a brilliant futuremushroomyakuza has a brilliant futuremushroomyakuza has a brilliant futuremushroomyakuza has a brilliant future
Default Safety in KL?

Hi guys

I am considering moving to KL in a few months time for work and to start a new life. Almost everything I've read about KL sounds fantastic, except for the level of crime and safety throughout the city.

Can anyone comment on this? I'd like to hear from anyone living in KL at the moment and in particular those who have recently moved there. It would extremely useful to hear.

Before any says - there is another thread on here about this issue I think, but it is from a good 6 years ago and that seems rather out of date.

Many thanks.
Old May 15th 2014, 8:54 pm
Forum Regular

nicola s has a reputation beyond reputenicola s has a reputation beyond reputenicola s has a reputation beyond reputenicola s has a reputation beyond reputenicola s has a reputation beyond reputenicola s has a reputation beyond reputenicola s has a reputation beyond reputenicola s has a reputation beyond reputenicola s has a reputation beyond reputenicola s has a reputation beyond reputenicola s has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Safety in KL?

Hi,

I am moving out soon, having been out on 3 visits so far with my husband having lived there since September last year,
With any large city I think there are issues of safety so the normal precautions apply.

I have heard many stories of violence speaking to other expats when I have been out, however it has not put me off.

My husband was attacked a few months ago when walking home from the pub, he probably looked like an easy target being rather drunk and it being the early hours of the morning, however he is 6ft tall very fit and a rugby player so I think his attackers came off worse for wear.

My husband has admitted he was foolish to walk home, considering the amount he had to drink.

I think as long as you are careful and are quite sensible you can live quite safely.

Good luck with your research and I think it would be worth you going out for a visit to see how the place feels to you
Old May 18th 2014, 6:26 pm
Just Joined

dingodog is an unknown quantity at this point

First time I've heard of safety issues in KL! Is this common now? I would be interested in anyone else's experiences
Old May 24th 2014, 12:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond repute

I think this has been asked quite a few times over the last 12 months - KL is no more dangerous than any other major city and safer than quite a few. No, I don't live there, I live in Melaka. In the 15 months since I moved out here, I have been to KL many times and never had a problem.

Provided you keep your wits about you and act accordingly you should be ok. Yes, there are probably the normal pickpockets and yes, there are handbag snatches from motorbikes.... but if you have to carry a bag, keep it over your shoulder and away from the road. If you are really unfortunate and something untoward does happen, like a snatch, then let go of the bag. If they are going to make an attempt, they will think nothing of pulling you over and dragging you along.

Stay alert at all times is probably the best advice you can get.
Old May 28th 2014, 8:08 am
BE Enthusiast

roystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond repute

Best is not to carry a bag, if at all possible.