Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia
Reload this Page >

The regatta is in town :-)

The regatta is in town :-)

Old Nov 22nd 2011, 1:21 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default The regatta is in town :-)

Drew the curtains back this morning to see 4 or 5 yachts coming round Georgetown and headed towards Straits Quay, Penang. Beautiful. What a lovely start to the day.

So... the Raja Muda Regatta will be centred around SQ today. Think I'll go and take a look at the boats later. Crikey, I heard a rumour that a BE member might be taking part

Apparently there will be rickshaw races at SQ late afternoon. If anyone wants any more detail, check out the website here http://www.rmsir.com/index.html

I believe there's some offshore races happening tomorrow. Enjoy :sunglasses:
Old Nov 22nd 2011, 2:12 am
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The regatta is in town :-)

Do they have a Round Island Race?
Done the IoW one
Old Nov 22nd 2011, 2:18 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure. I'll ask.
Old Nov 24th 2011, 6:50 am

The offshore races happened yesterday though not at the time stated. Was supposed to be midday and I got a fairly good view from my balcony of the yachts just sat doing nothing offshore..... but..... it was airless, no wind at all. Apparently the wind picked up later and it all got going.

I think they're probably on their way to Langkawi now. I wonder if they all stock up on dutyfree booze up there. No I'm sure they wouldn't

Anyways.... here's a pic I took....
Attached Thumbnails The regatta is in town :-)-reg1.jpg  
Old Nov 24th 2011, 11:25 pm

dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bakedbean
The offshore races happened yesterday though not at the time stated. Was supposed to be midday and I got a fairly good view from my balcony of the yachts just sat doing nothing offshore..... but..... it was airless, no wind at all. Apparently the wind picked up later and it all got going.

I think they're probably on their way to Langkawi now. I wonder if they all stock up on dutyfree booze up there. No I'm sure they wouldn't

Anyways.... here's a pic I took....

Nice piccie

Looks good

Dread - x
Old Dec 18th 2011, 4:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Strider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud of

OK OK I admit I was on an yacht with other geriatrics. There were a few last minute changes,such as the Pangkor to Penang leg finished in the south channel rather than off T.Bugah. The inshore race was mostly a drifter as was the start of the Penang to Langkawi leg. (no round island race) BUT then the wind backed to the NE up to 40 knots and we took off...and for once broke very little. Happy to say we got a second behind the still formidable "Australian Maid". I will admit to nothing regards duty free!!

Next is Langkawi race week, 9-14th of January at the Royal Langkawi yacht Club (if we can find enough good crew). Racing around the islands of Langkawi is really something very special.
Old Dec 19th 2011, 3:12 am

What made me chuckle. There were a load of pics on facebook. The Straits Quay page I think. And there was one certain yacht with all their smalls (that's underwear Strider) hanging out to dry Hehe. Of course I won't say which yacht.
Old Dec 19th 2011, 4:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Strider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud of

Just because Cmdr John gave us an almost impossible berth (only had one chance to get it right) which made us more visible, no need to point the finger. At least nice to know that after long endurance runs at sea we actually changed our underwear. Naturally we only had one spare set with us ...to keep weight down lah. Did the photos show one of our company who had got a Mohawk haircut and dyed his hair Red, Green and White to correspond with navigation lights? Its so we could tell which way he was facing at night, his tan was so dark!!
Old Dec 19th 2011, 8:21 am

Originally Posted by Strider24
At least nice to know that after long endurance runs at sea we actually changed our underwear.
Yes very impressive

When we had our motorboat in Phuket, berthing was always a bit traumatic
Old Nov 4th 2012, 7:19 am

I'm shamelessly bumping this thread as it's that time again folks. The Raja Muda Selangor Regatta taking place from November 16th to 24th. It passes through Penang at one stage and some races (I think) from Straits Quay. Well worth a look.

I've been looking at the website and the facebook page, but cannot figure which days they are in Penang. Maybe one of our more nautical posters can enlighten please.
Old Nov 4th 2012, 7:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Hi bakedbean.

I'm actually sailing it the regatta and don't know exact dates, but we leave Port Klang 16th afternoon and next day will be in Pangkor. Overnight there and next mid morning head to Penang and should be in to Straits Quay on 19th.

The finish is sometimes offshore from Straits Quay or as last year off the south end of the Island. We usually have trishaw races next day and then an inshore race very visable from Straits Quay area (if Indonesia is not doing its usual burning off). Following day we bash up to Langkawi and a final inshore race to finish off around 24th.

At present there are 36 yachts registered and range from super fast skid machines to old timers, with an international cast of...many!
Old Nov 4th 2012, 12:38 pm

Thanks Strider, I'll keep an eye out for you at S Quay So....finishes in Langkawi, duty free island....
Old Nov 23rd 2012, 4:37 am
Just Joined

klawdear is an unknown quantity at this point

My dad's doing the Regatta as we speak !
Old Nov 23rd 2012, 12:53 pm

Hi klawdear and welcome to the forum. I guess he will know Mr Strider then
Old Nov 25th 2012, 1:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Didn't see you at Straits Quay. Had a great RSYC Raja Muda series and coming into the last race equal second in class....before I parked on a coral reef in the last race for 5 hours. Not well pleased with myself.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.