Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia
Reload this Page >

Possibly moving to Kuala Lumpur in August - advice

Possibly moving to Kuala Lumpur in August - advice

Old Feb 2nd 2015, 7:19 pm
Just Joined

chick2206 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Possibly moving to Kuala Lumpur in August - advice

My husband has been offered a job in Kuala Lumpur and he would be moving out there in March followed by myself and our 5 year old daughter in August. I am looking for general advice and info on what Kuala Lumpur is like to live as an ex-pat and how safe it is in general.

Hope you can help
Old Feb 3rd 2015, 7:14 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Possibly moving to Kuala Lumpur in August - advice

Just to say Welcome to the forum

Might be worth putting more specific questions? Some expats like KL. Some expats don't. It's probably as safe as any big city in the world i.e. you should just take care and be sensible.

Anyway, I'm not in KL so maybe some KL residents will give you some feedback.
Old Feb 3rd 2015, 10:46 am
Just Joined

chick2206 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for the welcome and advice on adding specific questions.

Questions are
1. What is Mont Kiara like to live in as this is the area we have been told to look at.
2. Does anyone have any feedback or opinion on Garden International School?
3. Is there an Ex-pat community in KL that is easily accessible in order to grow friendships etc.

Anyone that can help??
Old Feb 3rd 2015, 9:33 pm
Just Joined

MolokoVelocet is an unknown quantity at this point

There is a large ex pat community made up of mainly oil and gas workers plus financial industry also. mont kiara is nice enough

the city is safe on the whole, the odd report of mugging etc but no more so at all than anywhere else in world.

great shopping centres, great places to eat... nice nightlife too.

highly recommended.
Old Feb 6th 2015, 3:45 pm
Just Joined

Cass44 is an unknown quantity at this point

Mont Kiara is very much an expat area of relatively high end, high rise condominiums branching off a single road at each end of which lies a commercial area of shops, banks, small restaurants etc. The whole road is walkable in about half an hour, which is often quicker than by car in the rush hour, but it is hilly. The school you mention is in this area.

Many nationalities mix very happily here and the two commercial areas have a relaxed feel with plenty of people enjoying themselves in pavement cafes just watching the world go by. While there are no open spaces for young children, the condos will usually have a large pool and children's play area - a good place to make friends. It's usual to see plenty of joggers and families around on the streets especially at weekends. There is at least one 'small dog' friendly condo.

How safe is it? Well not perfect, but not too bad either. All the condos will have security guards and avoid snatch thieves, who often use motor bikes, by taking sensible precautions. Keep your bag on the side away from the road when walking and keep your jewellery to a minimum. I walk a lot in the area and in three years have had no trouble.

It's a great area if you have no car as 'everything' is within reach, including a small clinic, and the major part of the main road is shaded by beautiful old trees.