Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia
Reload this Page >

Penang (Butterworth) to Bangkok by Train ???

Penang (Butterworth) to Bangkok by Train ???

Old Nov 30th 2018, 2:54 am
Forum Regular

WiredTight is just really niceWiredTight is just really niceWiredTight is just really niceWiredTight is just really niceWiredTight is just really niceWiredTight is just really niceWiredTight is just really niceWiredTight is just really nice
Default Penang (Butterworth) to Bangkok by Train ???

Has anyone taken the train from Butterworth to Bangkok ???
I've briefly looked online, and it's about 2 hour to Padang Besar border crossing, and then you change to a sleeper car on the Thai side for overnight journey to Bangkok (10am arrival).
I realize their are a lot quicker ways to travel to Bangkok... I'm looking at this as more of an Adventure.
Any Thoughts ???
Old Nov 30th 2018, 3:17 am
Just Joined

skates81 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Penang (Butterworth) to Bangkok by Train ???

I've taken this train few times and it's a nice adventurous and inexpensive way to travel between the 2 countries. However, if you are used to the new malaysian trains which move fast and without any shaking, you'll be disappointed as thai trains are pretty shaky. You may have a headache or nausea due to constant shaking of the trains.
Old Dec 1st 2018, 12:28 am
Forum Regular

WiredTight is just really niceWiredTight is just really niceWiredTight is just really niceWiredTight is just really niceWiredTight is just really niceWiredTight is just really niceWiredTight is just really niceWiredTight is just really nice

Thanks for the heads up. I purchased my Thai train ticket yesterday online, and will be taking the plunge before the Xmas holiday rush. I'll post my thoughts afterwards.
Old Dec 1st 2018, 3:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Thairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WiredTight
Thanks for the heads up. I purchased my Thai train ticket yesterday online, and will be taking the plunge before the Xmas holiday rush. I'll post my thoughts afterwards.
There is a lot of info on a website "man in seat61".
Old Dec 4th 2018, 9:37 am

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

Don't know what kind of ticket you've got, but if you opted for AC bear in mind that they pump it up. You might want to have a jacket, jumper etc.

Also, the buffet car is very pricey, it's worth buying food and drink off the platforms at stops, or from the people who walk through seeing selling stuff. After the horrific rape and murder of a woman a few years ago, I don't think alcohol will be available on the train anymore, although walking sellers will have it.

Doors between the carriages are locked at night for safety. Make sure you're in your carriage before they're locked.

The main station in Bangkok, HuaLamphong closes next year I think before it's turned into a museum, so if you wanted to see it as a working station, this is your chance.

depending where you're heading to in Bangkok, it may be worth getting off at Bang Sue junction. It also connects with the MRT, and can save you time. It's quieter, less people, easier to get a taxi etc.

Incidentally Bang Sue is the location of the new central station currently under construction, which when completed will be the largest station in SE Asia, the new hub for Bangkok, and all future high speed rail lines. It's huge. You can't miss it.

have a nice trip!
Old Dec 5th 2018, 2:37 am
Forum Regular

Great info thank you (especially the Bang Sue Junction stop). I noticed online that the arrival time is listed as 10am, but it's not uncommon for the train to arrive late. I gave myself an extra 4 hours between arrival and DMK connection flight up north. Thanks again.
Old Dec 6th 2018, 9:08 am

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

Definitely get off at Bang Sue if going to DMK.
Old Dec 11th 2018, 3:10 am
Forum Regular

I completed my Adventure train trip from Penang (Butterworth) to Bangkok. I took the plunge last Sunday and overall... It's not too bad, as long as you can over look the time involved from one point to the other. From the Penang ferry to Bangkok (Beng Suu station) about 20 hours.
The KTM train was very crowded from Butterworth to Pedang Besar (1hr 40 mins) due to weekend and MY / TH holiday. Luckily I was able to get a seat, it was standing room only for 80% of the trip. Stops made about ever 10 - 15 mins along the line.
Pedang Besar station was busy with people coming and going. Take your time, look and read all sign directions posted, and the passport in/out process. From start to finish...about 1 hour. Pedang - BKK on the sleeper train was interesting. The train was an older model, but clean...except for the toilets (LOL). The train was full (weekend/Holiday) mostly families and groups of holiday travelers. Meals were server about 90 mins after leaving, but don't expect a great meal. about 9pm the porter sets up your bedding. Since the train was full, once the bedding goes down, it was bed time (no extra seats). Over night comfort/sleep wasn't too bad. People start moving around the next morning about 6:30am. Since the diner didn't impress me the night before, I skipped breakfast and stuck to just tea. The train arrived at Bangkok on time 10am (Beng Suu station). I then took a 200bt taxi to DMK airport (15 mins).
Total price from start to finish about $35 including one meal on train. Overall not too bad (long day), Cheap, but you could take a plane for around the same price on sale, with only a fraction of the time involved.
Old Dec 12th 2018, 4:16 am
Forum Regular

carbolic is an unknown quantity at this point

Great info WT.
I have come to learn that the trains in Asia seem to be mainly of use for getting to the smaller towns. City to city as you say they are often more expensive than a plane.
Just booked the train from KL to Penang... twice the price of the executive bus and you end in Butterworth rather than on the island..
The experience however.... priceless !!
Old Dec 12th 2018, 6:12 am
Forum Regular

Yes it was an experience. Not sure I would do it again, but it was something to do. I assume the experience would have been a bit better if the trains weren't so crowded.
I took the KL - Penang train last year. Since it was a Express train, a lot less stops, and better seating (business class type seats), I would have no problem taking the train to/from KL again.