Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia
Reload this Page >

Negociating an Expat package in KL?

Negociating an Expat package in KL?

Old Apr 3rd 2016, 11:30 am
Just Joined

Sorcha1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Negociating an Expat package in KL?

Hello,

my husband has been invited to apply for a job in KL and we would love to go (we've worked in Asia before and enjoyed it very much). I am concerned though that the salary would not be adequate. The top band for the salary is RM553,750; after tax this is not much more than our current house income, and there's no guarantee I could get a job in KL.

So far, we haven't received any information about the full package (as the job has only just been advertised). What kind of package could we negotiate for?

School fees? We have kids in secondary school and I notice the fees for international schools in KL are very steep (up to RM 88,600/ year!) - could we expect the company to cover the cost?

Housing? Looking at the housing market online, I think we might find a bungalow in Mont Kiara to rent for about MR 11,000/month - does that sound reasonable? Would the package normally cover this?

I would very much appreciate thoughts from experienced KL expats!
Old Apr 6th 2016, 11:23 am
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Negociating an Expat package in KL?

Originally Posted by Sorcha1
Hello,

my husband has been invited to apply for a job in KL and we would love to go (we've worked in Asia before and enjoyed it very much). I am concerned though that the salary would not be adequate. The top band for the salary is RM553,750; after tax this is not much more than our current house income, and there's no guarantee I could get a job in KL.

So far, we haven't received any information about the full package (as the job has only just been advertised). What kind of package could we negotiate for?

School fees? We have kids in secondary school and I notice the fees for international schools in KL are very steep (up to RM 88,600/ year!) - could we expect the company to cover the cost?

Housing? Looking at the housing market online, I think we might find a bungalow in Mont Kiara to rent for about MR 11,000/month - does that sound reasonable? Would the package normally cover this?

I would very much appreciate thoughts from experienced KL expats!
It all depends. On your experience levels, on your industry, on your company. On whether you are being employed as an expat or a rich local.

Only you can do the is it worth it sums, but you won't get extras if you don't ask, and you need to know what your minimum salary and benefits expectations are and if you will walk away.
Old Apr 7th 2016, 6:30 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by OriginalSunshine
It all depends. On your experience levels, on your industry, on your company. On whether you are being employed as an expat or a rich local.

Only you can do the is it worth it sums, but you won't get extras if you don't ask, and you need to know what your minimum salary and benefits expectations are and if you will walk away.
Thanks for your reply - I guess there's not really an 'average package' of benefits then? It's gone very quiet from their end anyway...... I suspect the prospect of funding 3 kids through school has put them off!
Old Apr 9th 2016, 5:05 am
Just Joined

papip is an unknown quantity at this point

hi sorcha

depends on what industry he is in, some industries have no issue paying and will pay what you prove you are worth. What industry is it?

The salary would be ok if they paid schooling and housing then it would be a good deal.

My partner and I moved here from OZ 6 months ago and although it is cheap, if you live like an expat and enjoy your time here it can be similar cost as living in western countries. But we are a couple with no kids so may spend more on luxuries.

We live in a house which is in a gated and guarded compound in Mont Kiara and they cost between 13500 to 18000 per month to rent.

Overall we are better off over here financially and lifestyle wise.
Old Apr 9th 2016, 9:14 pm
Just Joined

Thanks papip,

Looks as though I've perhaps under estimated housing costs then - yikes, it's expensive! The job is in rail, which is not generally as financially rewarding as other industries such as finance. However, I have come across a report published last year that seems to suggest that in Malaysia the benefits equal around 3/4 of the net salary - which in our case might just about cover school fees and accommodation. We wouldn't be looking for an extravagant lifestyle, but I would like enough money to travel around the region a little bit - it's definitely one of the big attractions of taking our family to work abroad. Good to hear you are enjoying your life in Malaysia.
Old Apr 11th 2016, 10:02 am
Just Joined

papip is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Sorcha,

If it is rail construction as in the MTR/LRT works then you can command good cash. I also work in the construction sector. From what I have seen is employers tend to just want pay cash per month rather than pay for housing, school etc. They tend to negotiate the gross amount per month. they may pay for relocation, flights etc. Depending where you are living now it is cheaper to live once you take away housing costs. Is it an agency or employer direct you have been talking to?
Old Apr 12th 2016, 5:34 pm
Just Joined

An agency approach my husband and said they are offering an expat package, but not specified what that includes. Strange though, the guy from the agency was very keen until my husband asked what the package includes, and we haven't heard from him since! Guess he could be on leave, who knows!