Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia
Reload this Page >

Mr Mom & 11yr old need 2/b/room house/plunge pool, walking distance sand beach

Mr Mom & 11yr old need 2/b/room house/plunge pool, walking distance sand beach

Old Jan 17th 2015, 8:03 am
Forum Regular

Blackey_Oz has a reputation beyond reputeBlackey_Oz has a reputation beyond reputeBlackey_Oz has a reputation beyond reputeBlackey_Oz has a reputation beyond reputeBlackey_Oz has a reputation beyond reputeBlackey_Oz has a reputation beyond reputeBlackey_Oz has a reputation beyond reputeBlackey_Oz has a reputation beyond reputeBlackey_Oz has a reputation beyond reputeBlackey_Oz has a reputation beyond reputeBlackey_Oz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Mr Mom & 11yr old need 2/b/room house/plunge pool, walking distance sand beach

Mr Mom & 11yr old need 2/b/room house/plunge pool, walking distance sand beach, was thinking Penang(but recently enlightened it's a retirement zone), anyway, for 2-6months.
Malaysia is def one place I find intriguing,
have been researching Bali as well, then onto Malaysia/Thailand/etc as my 11yr old kid and I need a break after 3yr divorce trauma(blessed as full time single dad) and spoiling ourselves for 6-12 months travel dreams etc before returning to Oz.
Friend living in Bali can arrange me rental of a 2/3 bed home w/pool/Air Cond etc roughly aud$150(450Ringgit) - aud$300(900Ringgit) p/week(around a 2-3mnth stay) but Malaysia(Penang area) this seems impossible as all I see is apartments only, am I correct? Space restrictions on the island causing this?
Am thinking Malaysia as our "home-base" for "asia hopping", Thailand, etc
Seatbelt is on and am Prepared to be enlightened by forum members here.
Yes we're on a budget but will step-up and kick-the-tin for right place(am I better off thinking mainland maybe?) very open to suggestions on great area for us.
I prefer not party district/town I don't drink/gamble etc, we both love outdoors and great restaurants.

Last edited by Blackey_Oz; Jan 17th 2015 at 8:40 am.
Old Jan 17th 2015, 12:32 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mr Mom & 11yr old need 2/b/room house/plunge pool, walking distance sand beach

Hi again. Well you've sure got me confused. I thought you said you were "off" waterfront living, now you want a beach to walk to.

You also mentioned over on the other thread about med facilities. Penang island certainly has the med facilities. Re beaches, Penang has a few but it really isn't noted for its beaches and won't be a spot on compared with Australia...if that is important to you. And there's the humidity as well. Not trying to put you off but best to work out what are the priorities.

If you think Penang still fits the bill, and you want beach, maybe Google for Ferringhi Villas.... see what you think.
Old Jan 17th 2015, 1:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

teejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mr Mom & 11yr old need 2/b/room house/plunge pool, walking distance sand beach

How flexible are you on your Asian "home base"? I think you are much more likely to find most of your requirements somewhere like Bali, Thailand or Vietnam.

If your friend can find you a villa such as the one you described, in might be worth taking it. Thailand will have similar villas in many locations. For Vietnam (which I know you have not mentioned), you might consider Da Nang:

Da Nang travel guide - Wikitravel

You will find that renting in these other countries is not only much cheaper, but the choice of properties will be greater, and the length of the lease more flexible.

Whatever you do will involve a compromise. Malaysia is largely English speaking, and the medical facilities are good. In the other countries I have mentioned, English will not be as widely spoken (although you will get by), and finding top-class health care will be more of an issue.
Old Jan 17th 2015, 6:32 pm
Forum Regular

Blackey_Oz has a reputation beyond reputeBlackey_Oz has a reputation beyond reputeBlackey_Oz has a reputation beyond reputeBlackey_Oz has a reputation beyond reputeBlackey_Oz has a reputation beyond reputeBlackey_Oz has a reputation beyond reputeBlackey_Oz has a reputation beyond reputeBlackey_Oz has a reputation beyond reputeBlackey_Oz has a reputation beyond reputeBlackey_Oz has a reputation beyond reputeBlackey_Oz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bakedbean
Hi again. Well you've sure got me confused. I thought you said you were "off" waterfront living, now you want a beach to walk to.

You also mentioned over on the other thread about med facilities. Penang island certainly has the med facilities. Re beaches, Penang has a few but it really isn't noted for its beaches and won't be a spot on compared with Australia...if that is important to you. And there's the humidity as well. Not trying to put you off but best to work out what are the priorities.

If you think Penang still fits the bill, and you want beach, maybe Google for Ferringhi Villas.... see what you think.
Thanks, I see the misunderstanding.
1) I'll take fault for this then. Edit: "off" meant = "we come from" waterfront living(therefore accustomed to it) NOT over it.(always had it)
2) Coming from nth of Sydney, very hot weather is a drawcard.
<<Joined: Dec 2014
<<Location: Avoca Beach NSW Australia - https://www.google.com.au/maps/place/Avoca+Beach+NSW
<<Posts: 56

Last edited by Blackey_Oz; Jan 17th 2015 at 6:59 pm.
Old Jan 17th 2015, 6:40 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by teejaydee
How flexible are you on your Asian "home base"? I think you are much more likely to find most of your requirements somewhere like Bali, Thailand or Vietnam.

If your friend can find you a villa such as the one you described, in might be worth taking it. Thailand will have similar villas in many locations. For Vietnam (which I know you have not mentioned), you might consider Da Nang:

Da Nang travel guide - Wikitravel

You will find that renting in these other countries is not only much cheaper, but the choice of properties will be greater, and the length of the lease more flexible.

Whatever you do will involve a compromise. Malaysia is largely English speaking, and the medical facilities are good. In the other countries I have mentioned, English will not be as widely spoken (although you will get by), and finding top-class health care will be more of an issue.
Thank you, few good points.
Shall clarify, this is a 2yr journey - Bali - Malaysia(not necessarily in that order), then Europe(base would be Italy and/or Spain), then... ???
1) We're doing Bali also - Bali is our other leg on journey.
2) Malaysia is the "must" (medical referrals)
Old Jan 17th 2015, 6:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Just curious... I've seen your other thread and you are not European and seemingly have no claim to European Union citizenship so do you have a visa plan for Europe? Otherwise you will be restricted to 3 months in 6 and will not be allowed to work.

Not to be a damper but just to put in perspective
Old Jan 17th 2015, 6:52 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Gozit
Just curious... I've seen your other thread and you are not European and seemingly have no claim to European Union citizenship so do you have a visa plan for Europe? Otherwise you will be restricted to 3 months in 6 and will not be allowed to work.

Not to be a damper but just to put in perspective
Yes thank you and fully aware of that, although I am of Italian decent(twice removed) and have meeting with Italian Embassy in 4 weeks, so that is being explored.
No work required, just require the 3 - 6 mnths here and there.
I have advice for other issues/areas, so anyway, back to topic - need 2/b/room house/plunge pool, walking distance sandy beach - Malaysia

Last edited by Blackey_Oz; Jan 17th 2015 at 7:02 pm.
Old Jan 17th 2015, 7:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Blackey_Oz
Yes thank you and fully aware of that, although I am of Italian decent(twice removed) and have meeting with Italian Embassy in 4 weeks, so that is being explored.
No work required, just require the 3 - 6 mnths here and there.
I have advice for other issues/areas, so anyway, back to topic - need 2/b/room house/plunge pool, walking distance sandy beach - Malaysia
Oh great yes, do get Italian citizenship for you and your son if possible. Since you are both nomads he may need it in future

No advice on Msia but good luck with your travels!

Old Jan 18th 2015, 6:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Davita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond repute

Some 5+ years ago we considered Penang as a retirement haven but were disappointed as to the accommodation standards....so we now call Bali home.
If the Op says he can rent in Bali a 2-3 bed A/C villa/pool etc for under AUD$300/week that sounds like a reasonable deal. There are very few apartments in Bali as there is a height restriction on buildings. The myth is no building can be taller than a coconut tree....B/S...many permits have been issued, under the table, for hotels/resorts that would look down onto a coconut tree like it was a bush.
Indonesia is managed by chaos...they were supposed to issue free Visa on Arrival (VOA) to Australians starting 1 Jan 2015 but someone forgot to tell the Director of Immigration...so it hasn't happened...yet. Currently a VOA costs US$35 for 30 days then is locally extendable for another 30 days (another US$35) then leave.
Problem is Indonesia is not so welcoming for long-stay foreigners as Malaysia is with its excellent MM2H program. A retirement visa (annually renewable) is available for over 55 year olds but it's pricey...I get a bargain but still costs US$600/year.
Bali is called the 'Island of the Gods' but it isn't paradise...many problems exist like pavements crowded by motorcyclists, crap everywhere and traffic jams. Outside the South tourist area of bars, restaurants, etc. is where one can find the spiritual/visual delights that make Bali famous. That and surfing, snorkeling and other water sports in abundance around the coast and the interior of rice fields, volcanoes and lakes and temples is where I would suggest vacationing.

Last edited by Davita; Jan 18th 2015 at 6:12 am.
Old Jan 20th 2015, 11:34 am
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute

Try Kota Kinabalu, Miri, Kuching