moving to Penang

Old Mar 4th 2008, 9:29 am
Just Joined

butterfly69 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile moving to Penang

My partner and I will be moving to Batu Ferringhi in August for at least 2 years.
We have visited Malaysia before but would appreciate any comments or advice on life in Penang.
Thanks
Old Mar 5th 2008, 1:02 pm
Forum Regular

honeybee is just really nicehoneybee is just really nicehoneybee is just really nicehoneybee is just really nicehoneybee is just really nicehoneybee is just really nicehoneybee is just really nicehoneybee is just really nicehoneybee is just really nicehoneybee is just really nicehoneybee is just really nice
Default Re: moving to Penang

Originally Posted by butterfly69
My partner and I will be moving to Batu Ferringhi in August for at least 2 years.
We have visited Malaysia before but would appreciate any comments or advice on life in Penang.
Thanks
Lucky you. Have only ever gone to Penang on holidays (lived in Kuala Lumpur/Petaling Jaya). I have a few friends from Penang and they seemed to enjoy it. I know they have a tennis club and yachting club and quality of life is good. Sorry cant help you more specifically but I am sure there are some Penangites on this site.
Old Mar 6th 2008, 1:06 am
Just Joined

Jollytinker is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by butterfly69
Thanks
You don't say whether you're moving there for 2 years to work or as an extended holiday. My wife and I looked at Penang 18 months ago (now work and live in Singapore) as a possible retirement destination. Impressions as follows after 4 days there including looking at property.
- Batu Ferrenghi is overcrowded.
- Quality of property available imho is poor and chances of being built out is high as building controls and standards are poor.
- Georgetown was charming with its historic if decaying old buildings and I just hope they don't 'modernise' it.

If this is your first time living in Asia I'm sure you'll enjoy it and going for 2 years is sensible rather than jumping in.
Good luck.
Old Mar 7th 2008, 4:56 pm
Just Joined

butterfly69 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: moving to Penang

We are moving to work - by partner is a teacher and he has been offered a 2 year contract. We've both been to Malaysia lots of times and we love Georgetown - and you are right - we hope they don't spoil it by modernising it too much. It has a charm all of its own.
Old Mar 8th 2008, 12:24 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Penang is nice to visit but I have to be honest, I couldn't imagine living there for two years, especially if you are a youngish couple. I think it would soon bore me rigid (and I'm not even young). Sorry.

This said, please go to Lorong Selamat in Georgetown and have a huge plate of char kway teow for me. Oh. My. God. Heart attack on a plate, but so, so good.