Reload this Page >

Moving to KL (Bangsar) at end of Sept

Moving to KL (Bangsar) at end of Sept

Old Aug 29th 2012, 12:23 pm
Just Joined

DeeM is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to KL (Bangsar) at end of Sept

Hi all

My husband, 2yr old son and myself are moving to KL at the end of Sept and will be living in Bangsar.

We're very excited about the move as it seems to be a great city to live in (from what we've heard...).

We'll be looking for a live-in (probably) maid and I've seen on other threads that the way to find one is just by asking around and advertising on the noticeboard at our condo. My main question is whether it is normal to ask for references or whether there is any way of checking whether they have a criminal record (shady past...) etc. I had seen a post previously about a maid abusing someone's child and that's obviously quite concerning...

It looks like there are lots of toddler groups / activities around the Bangsar area so that will hopefully be a good way to meet people. Are there any that anyone can recommend?

Anyway, we can't wait to get there and to start expoloring this exciting city!
Old Aug 30th 2012, 12:01 am
ajw

Location: Melbourne - London - Bangkok - Melbourne - Kuala Lumpur - Melbourne
ajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to KL (Bangsar) at end of Sept

Hi DeeM and welcome!

Yes definitely ask for references for your helper. We saw a written reference which we then followed up on over the phone. Undertaking criminal checks may be tricky if you want to obtain one from their home country. Getting one in Malaysia is straightforward but takes abut two months to come through. I dont know of anyone who actually does this though. Of course a criminal check is not guaranteed to show up any actual crimes committed.... Perhaps start will an extended trial for your helper before committing to transferring her visa.

For toddler groups, look at Www.ibufamily.org; there also lots of good pre-schools locally.

Cheers ajw
Old Aug 30th 2012, 10:04 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the welcome and advice ajw.

I'm glad it's accepted practice to ask for references and follow up on them - that'll make me feel a bit better. I like the idea of an extended trial although I wasn't aware that we'd have to extend their visa - more info please?

Will definitely have a look at the toddler groups on IBU family, thanks!

I must say, this is really starting to feel real now and I can't wait!
Old Aug 30th 2012, 10:42 am
ajw

ajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, it is a legal requirement to have your maids permit transferred on your passport (or your partners; whoever has the working permit). Many people do this via an agent (for a considerable sum) but you could do it yourself, it's a matter of knowing the process. Some helpers will have their 'own' visa. This might mean they are married to a Malaysian or could mean they have a slightly dodgy visa which still allows them to work in the country (without you having to transfer their visa).

There is more info on this site here:
http://expat-underground.com/maid-in-kl/

Cheers
ajw
Old Aug 30th 2012, 1:36 pm
Just Joined

kenle is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by DeeM
Hi all

My husband, 2yr old son and myself are moving to KL at the end of Sept and will be living in Bangsar.

We're very excited about the move as it seems to be a great city to live in (from what we've heard...).

We'll be looking for a live-in (probably) maid and I've seen on other threads that the way to find one is just by asking around and advertising on the noticeboard at our condo. My main question is whether it is normal to ask for references or whether there is any way of checking whether they have a criminal record (shady past...) etc. I had seen a post previously about a maid abusing someone's child and that's obviously quite concerning...

It looks like there are lots of toddler groups / activities around the Bangsar area so that will hopefully be a good way to meet people. Are there any that anyone can recommend?

Anyway, we can't wait to get there and to start expoloring this exciting city!
Most of the live in Maid are from Indonesia and Myanmar. Most of them can't speak English nor the local languages. You might need a lot of efforts to train them (some of them from rural places, they not even know how to use an oven and washing machine)

As you are new to the place, I would suggest you to get a local maid, the best will be a Chinese lady. Most of them can speak few languages, English, Malay and Chinese.
At least she can help you to get direction to markets, shopping malls and etc... The paid is in the same range around MYR 800 - 1000.
Old Aug 30th 2012, 2:07 pm
ajw

DeeM, no doubt you'll work it all out when you get here. I would have to say that most expats have a Philippino maid, so if you are planning on finding someone through the word of mouth route, she will probably be Philippino. There are also plenty of them who live-in.

Cheers
Ajw
Old Aug 30th 2012, 4:11 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the advice both of you. As you say ajw, probably easiest
to figure these things out properly once we're
there

Well, it's a grey rainy day in London town today - I'm really looking
forward to some sunshine when we get there...
Old Aug 31st 2012, 1:25 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

AJ... slightly dodgy visa? hehe... love it.

Have to say we don't have live in maid, but borrow our ID's maid once a week for a 4 hour house clean and she is bloody marvellous. Usually stays on longer than 4 hours very conscientious, polite, speaks fairly good English and she's Indon.
Old Sep 4th 2012, 11:27 am
Just Joined

Thanks bakedbean

One question though...what's an 'ID'?
Old Sep 4th 2012, 1:36 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

oops sorry Interior Designer (or renovator if you want to be more to the point)
Old Sep 4th 2012, 4:03 pm
Just Joined

Aaah thanks
Old Sep 5th 2012, 7:39 am
Forum Regular

LivKL is a name known to allLivKL is a name known to allLivKL is a name known to allLivKL is a name known to allLivKL is a name known to allLivKL is a name known to allLivKL is a name known to allLivKL is a name known to allLivKL is a name known to allLivKL is a name known to allLivKL is a name known to all

Hi DeeM

The Association of British Women in Malaysia (ABWM) is based in Bangsar (as am I). It's a great area and the ABWM is a fantastic resource for those new to the city - especially if you have kids; they run a toddler group every Thursday and there are lots of more ad hoc get-togethers of course.

Every week a newsletter is sent out with info on upcoming events, organised get-togethers etc plus, crucially, a "for sale" list which will include details of maids etc looking for work - often the maid of an ABWM member who is leaving KL, so these maids come with very personal references. Lots of the condos here will have people with kids who have a part-time maid, and occasionally you see ads up in the foyer for maids who already have one part-time employer in the block who are looking to make full use of their time. Again, helpful if you know their other employer is your neighbour. We have a cleaning lady who comes in for a couple of hours a week for cleaning and the same for ironing but she operates out of the condo and has lots of customers here.

Have a look at the ABWM website http://www.abwm.com.my/ABWM_New/Home.html (not the most professional, sadly and rarely kept up-to-date)... But it tells you the basics.

And perhaps drop the Bangsar link lady an email - Rosie, she's lovely (but note also new to the role!) If you want to message me I can email you her address and also last week's newsletter just as an example...
Old Sep 5th 2012, 3:41 pm
Just Joined

Thanks LivKL