Reload this Page >

Moving to KL - advice needed!

Moving to KL - advice needed!

Old Apr 11th 2016, 10:17 pm
Just Joined

Loulou1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to KL - advice needed!

Hi,

My husband and I are thinking of relocating to KL with our two young children. This will be our first overseas relocation so this is all new and daunting. Apologies if these questions have been asked before, but I have trawled through some of the threads and can't really find what I am looking for.

Firstly, does anyone have any advice about international schools? We are moving from the UK so I'm looking for schools that roughly follow a British curriculum. The ones that stand out to me are Alice Smith, Garden, British and Desa Park City. Does anyone have children who attend these, or know people who would be able to provide some constructive feedback?

A big issue for us, is that my husband's company are based in Kota Kemuning. All the schools are based in the North/centre. Realistically, does anyone know what sort of commute he would be looking at if we lived in Petaling Jaya, Damansara Heights, Bangsar?

With two young kids (4&2), I'm keen to find a family friendly community. Does anyone have any recommendations on areas to live?

We are hoping to visit in a couple of weeks time and would like to see if we could get an idea of the types of property available to rent. Could anyone provide any recommendations on good property agents?

Does anyone have general hints and tips about how to make a move like this less stressful and terrifying?!

Apologies for the bombardment of questions, but this is new to us and my husband's company, so any advice would be much appreciated!

Thank you
Old Apr 11th 2016, 11:21 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to KL - advice needed!

Hello again.

I know of folks whose kids went to Alice Smith and they spoke highly of it, but no firsthand experience I'm afraid.

As mentioned before, traffic is really horrendous around KL, so research well. Maybe when you get out to check KL, "try out" a school run (assuming it's not school holidays) and see for yourself. Then you will know.

If you'd like to reply to this post, you will then have done the magic 3 posts. That's when the PM system kicks in on here (message system). You may find it useful to PM some other posters you've seen on here and contact them for their experiences.
Old Apr 16th 2016, 3:09 pm
Just Joined

Becsinpta has a reputation beyond reputeBecsinpta has a reputation beyond reputeBecsinpta has a reputation beyond reputeBecsinpta has a reputation beyond reputeBecsinpta has a reputation beyond reputeBecsinpta has a reputation beyond reputeBecsinpta has a reputation beyond reputeBecsinpta has a reputation beyond reputeBecsinpta has a reputation beyond reputeBecsinpta has a reputation beyond reputeBecsinpta has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to KL - advice needed!

Hi, I lived in kl for several years until a year or two ago. Had 2 or my 3 kids there although we left before they were of school age so can't comment specifically on schools. I have friends with kids at Alice smith and they seem to rate it, they live in bangsar. I think the commute is ok, not great but not too horrendous....KL is a pretty good place to be with your kids(haze excepted) I loved it there, would move back again if I could! Expats and locals are a pretty friendly and welcoming bunch. You can get in touch with the ABWM (association of British women in Malaysia) or IBU family resource group both are on Facebook, they run playgroups etc and may be able to give you more info. Good luck with the move. Editing to add: dress park city is also good since it's already in its own gated community which is very family friendly and so at least the commute to school would be easy enough, but from what I can remember of it getting in and out of the complex at rush hour must be pretty crazy....though I never actually experienced it, but there only seemed to be one access road unless it's changed now!

Last edited by Becsinpta; Apr 16th 2016 at 3:14 pm.