Moving to KL

Old Oct 18th 2014, 10:44 am
Just Joined

aehall is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to KL

Hi all,

I wondered if any of you could give me an idea of the cost of living for a single person moving to KL.

I am potentially moving from London to KL with work in the coming months and want an idea of what a good salary would be and what I could expect my monthly outgoings to be (inc. rent, travel, TV, internet etc.)

Also, any guidance on which areas I should be looking at for accommodation.

Thanks!
Old Oct 18th 2014, 12:54 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to KL

Hi. I'm not in KL and not working so cannot help too much. I do know that those who have posted from KL before have suggested living as close as possible to your work, as commuting is pretty tortuous.
Old Oct 18th 2014, 2:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

columbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond repute

I was down KL a few times. The traffic is awful, even the Monorail at peak time is very very congested and there are pick pockets in there targeting their victims in that packed train!
The less time you spend commuting between home and work place the better.
Old Oct 18th 2014, 7:51 pm
Just Joined

Thanks! I have spent time in KL and to be honest I don't find the public transport/traffic there any worse than London!
Old Oct 19th 2014, 12:00 am
BE Enthusiast

columbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond repute

Have not been in London for years, sounds like public transport/traffic in KL is similar to London.
I'm in HK now, just as bad but at least I don't have to worry about pick pockets in congested public transport.
If distance is not a problem there are places that are nice in Mt Kiara area, Sri Hartamas, Bangsa, One Utama where lots of new condos have been built past few years. For transportation convenience Sentral and Mid Valley vicinity.

Last edited by columbine; Oct 19th 2014 at 1:52 am.
Old Oct 19th 2014, 5:50 am
Just Joined

sendomike is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi aehall,

I am Michael, a real estate agent in KL and I may be able to advise on that.

Cost of living in KL widely varies depending on where you are staying. The most expensive place would definitely be KLCC, Bangsar or Mont Kiara. Perhaps you can let me know where your office is, so I may advise better.

For a single person, the cost of living in the KL City Center (KLCC), is roughly as below.
1. Rental for a single bedroom unit: RM3000-RM4000
2. Utilities (Electric and water bills): RM200
3. TV and Internet bills: RM150-RM200
4. Transportation costs: RM200-RM300
5. Entertainment: RM1000+ (depending on your requirements)

If you prefer some nightlife, restaurants, and shopping, areas around KLCC is definitely the way to go. A lot of condos in this area is also within walking distance to the train station.

I have PM-ed you my number and email. I may be able to help to find you a good apartment, depending on your requirements.
(You won't be charged, since my commission comes from the apartment owner)

Best of luck
Old Oct 19th 2014, 9:24 am
Just Joined

Khangba is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Mike,

My wife and I are also moving to KL in early November and looking to rent and then want to buy. If you can help in anyway much appreciated!
Old Oct 19th 2014, 10:38 am
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

to add to the thread - for a guideline

Cost of Living in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. Prices in Kuala Lumpur. Updated Oct 2014
Old Oct 19th 2014, 10:57 am
Just Joined

Hi Khangba,

I have sent you a private message
Hope to hear from you soon!
Old Oct 19th 2014, 11:16 am
Just Joined

Thanks for sharing the cost of living link, really helpful!!
Old Oct 19th 2014, 11:18 am
Just Joined

@sendomike, my office is close to DoubleTree by hilton so quite close to KLCC.

I've heard Ampang could be a good area?
Old Oct 19th 2014, 3:47 pm
Just Joined

Hi aehall, I know the area well. DoubleTree by Hilton is a short walk from Ampang Park LRT train station. There are a couple of condominiums around the area which is walking distance to your office
Old Nov 6th 2014, 7:34 am
Account Closed

Geordie Nomad is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sendomike
Hi aehall,

I am Michael, a real estate agent in KL and I may be able to advise on that.

Cost of living in KL widely varies depending on where you are staying. The most expensive place would definitely be KLCC, Bangsar or Mont Kiara. Perhaps you can let me know where your office is, so I may advise better.

For a single person, the cost of living in the KL City Center (KLCC), is roughly as below.
1. Rental for a single bedroom unit: RM3000-RM4000
2. Utilities (Electric and water bills): RM200
3. TV and Internet bills: RM150-RM200
4. Transportation costs: RM200-RM300
5. Entertainment: RM1000+ (depending on your requirements)

If you prefer some nightlife, restaurants, and shopping, areas around KLCC is definitely the way to go. A lot of condos in this area is also within walking distance to the train station.

I have PM-ed you my number and email. I may be able to help to find you a good apartment, depending on your requirements.
(You won't be charged, since my commission comes from the apartment owner)

Best of luck
Hi

Would be very welcome to discuss some living costs with you. PM with details.
Old Nov 6th 2014, 9:04 am
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Geordie Nomad
Hi

Geordie, have a look on the numbeo.com website for living costs and comparisons - very useful and regularly updated.

PS. Just seen that not2old has also posted this website.

Last edited by InVinoVeritas; Nov 6th 2014 at 9:06 am. Reason: PS added
Old Nov 6th 2014, 12:49 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Geordie Nomad
Hi

For your info, PM function won't work until you have done at least 3 posts.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.