Reload this Page >

Moving to K.K. - ** Professional Dive Master **

Moving to K.K. - ** Professional Dive Master **

Old Feb 27th 2013, 1:38 pm
Just Joined

Grozom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to K.K. - ** Professional Dive Master **

Hello,

I'm looking for some advise from members with regards to moving to K.K. to work in the scuba diving industry.

My partner has landed her dream job teaching Maths in a local school on a two year contract. The school has arranged accommodation etc so I don't have to worry about that.

I'm looking to get a job in the scuba diving industry, working as a Dive Master / In a scuba shop or in the offices.

Currently, I'm a Dive Master with over 100 dives logged and experience of working for my diving club in the UK. So have no problems with hard work and what to expect.

Does anyone know how likely I could get a job? I'm going to send my C.V. and covering letter etc but want to get an idea first.

I was thinking that I'm not the only one who is thinking about moving to K.K to do the same job!

I have over 12 years working in accounts, so could fall back onto that! (Moving to get away from it).

Also, I was thinking of doing TEFEL as a back up, just in case.

Another thing on my mind is Visas? My partner has her two year visa.

Whats the process there? I can only go out on a tourist visa for three months

Do I need to be offered work before I go to stay longer? Or can it be extended while I'm there?

Your assistance/feedback and advise would be most appreciated
Old Feb 28th 2013, 6:58 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to K.K. - ** Professional Dive Master **

Hi Grozom and welcome to the forum

I'm not sure if we have anyone based in KK on this forum but let's wait awhile and see if anyone has some answers.

I am guessing that officially you will need a Work visa of some sort.
Old Feb 28th 2013, 11:32 am
KK Resident - Retired

Hovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of light

Hi Grozom,
I am based in KK and my son, a Brit, also in KK, teaches in a local school.
He tells me there is great competition for scuba diving schools in the area - you can see some if you google. TEFL maybe an option but for visa I suggest you check out the Malaysia immigration web site and if you are close enough, call in at the Malaysian High Commission in London. The staff are very friendly and helpful.
Old Mar 1st 2013, 7:13 pm
Just Joined

Hi Bakedbean,

Thank you for your warm welcome.

Lets hope I can gain some expert knowledge from the other uses on this forum!

Old Mar 1st 2013, 7:20 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Hovite
Hi Grozom,
I am based in KK and my son, a Brit, also in KK, teaches in a local school.
He tells me there is great competition for scuba diving schools in the area - you can see some if you google. TEFL maybe an option but for visa I suggest you check out the Malaysia immigration web site and if you are close enough, call in at the Malaysian High Commission in London. The staff are very friendly and helpful.
Thank you for your reply. Its good to find someone who is based in K.K. Excellent news about the dive centres. I have done a google search and have found a few I am going to apply to.

Can I ask, the weather in K.K. is pretty much constant year round?
I can assume theres a wet season but apart from that I was thinking the dive seaon would pretty much run all year.

If you could recommend any scuba diving centres it would be most helpful.

I will give the Malaysian High Commission a call to chat about visas.

Thank you for your help.
Old Mar 2nd 2013, 12:08 pm
Forum Regular

Nemodot is just really niceNemodot is just really niceNemodot is just really niceNemodot is just really niceNemodot is just really niceNemodot is just really niceNemodot is just really niceNemodot is just really nice

Hi if you are married you won't need a work permit can use LTSVP to work. If unmarried far harder but jobs exist and they know how to get permits.

If you partner is working for Tenby school though you may not be there two years...... If the others then you prob will be so enjoy!
Old Mar 3rd 2013, 1:18 am
KK Resident - Retired

Hovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of light

Hi Grozom, the weather is variable and there does not seem to be a set wet season. Always hot and often humid. I am not into scuba diving so afraid I cannot help on that score.
Old Mar 4th 2013, 7:14 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Nemodot
Hi if you are married you won't need a work permit can use LTSVP to work. If unmarried far harder but jobs exist and they know how to get permits.

If you partner is working for Tenby school though you may not be there two years...... If the others then you prob will be so enjoy!
Thank you for your message.

We are not married just partners.

I am trying to secure a job before I arrive.

Hopefully this will happen.
Old Mar 4th 2013, 7:17 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Hovite
Hi Grozom, the weather is variable and there does not seem to be a set wet season. Always hot and often humid. I am not into scuba diving so afraid I cannot help on that score.
Hovite, Thank you for your help.

I have been checking the weather and yes I agree with your comments.

Hopefully I fellow scuba diver will pick up my post and give me some advise.

Thank you for your help.
Old Apr 3rd 2013, 12:11 pm
Just Joined

Still looking for more advice regarding my move!
Old Apr 3rd 2013, 1:18 pm
KK Resident - Retired

Hi Grozom, there is great competition for diving jobs and even if you get one, the pay, I am told, is poor. You can contact http://www.sabahdivers.com/ or http://www.sabahtourism.com/sabah-ma...hd-kplln-3570/ or just Google dive Sabah or Borneo. Your pay, and chances of work, would be much improved if you can do a TEFL course, get some teaching experience and try to find some teaching work.
When does your Partner start? Which school?