Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia
Reload this Page >

Moving to Ipoh in August as a couple.

Moving to Ipoh in August as a couple.

Old Mar 15th 2015, 2:14 am
Forum Regular

lacmac has a reputation beyond reputelacmac has a reputation beyond reputelacmac has a reputation beyond reputelacmac has a reputation beyond reputelacmac has a reputation beyond reputelacmac has a reputation beyond reputelacmac has a reputation beyond reputelacmac has a reputation beyond reputelacmac has a reputation beyond reputelacmac has a reputation beyond reputelacmac has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Ipoh in August as a couple.

I've been living in Ipoh for about 2yrs.
It is true that Ipoh is not as modern as penang and really you shouldn't even compare it to any other place. Like saying how nice Langkawi is to penang would be inappropriate.

But it is changing, and fast. A lot of investment is pouring into lpoh.
One person said she only saw jusco (old shopping mall) but there is a new mall called Aeon station 18.Also 30 + new cafes have opened up and I have been enjoying my time going through them.
Yes there are many parts that are not so clean, same as any city.You have the good and bad parts. KL has plenty no go areas.
There are many new condos being built and another international school.

It is hot and sticky, there is no getting away from that. That's the price you pay for living in SEA. The one thing I miss from UK which I didn't think I would, is the seasons. OK, I'm not fond of winter but the others I do miss.
As for Cameron Highlands, I have been 3 times. A month ago I spent the night there with my family, I couldn't believe the changes since I was last there 2yrs previously. We stayed in a new service apartment, fantastic view, cheap and had shops and children's play area on the ground floor. Was also told they will be building a mall, not sure if that's good or bad as it might spoil the area. 2 new condos are being built and a Tesco.
So I guess it's everyone's own perception of what you like and dislike.
Hopefully you will enjoy Ipoh, as you said Haggis, you can go out of ipoh to find adventure and relax here when you return.
Old Mar 15th 2015, 10:48 am
Forum Regular

Haggis68 has a reputation beyond reputeHaggis68 has a reputation beyond reputeHaggis68 has a reputation beyond reputeHaggis68 has a reputation beyond reputeHaggis68 has a reputation beyond reputeHaggis68 has a reputation beyond reputeHaggis68 has a reputation beyond reputeHaggis68 has a reputation beyond reputeHaggis68 has a reputation beyond reputeHaggis68 has a reputation beyond reputeHaggis68 has a reputation beyond repute

Lacmac, i feel like we are the only ones even remotely promoting its potential ha ha and i havent a clue as i havent even been there....heh heh..

just a quick note in regard to the amount of expats there, stephanie knows that in the school at Tenby there is about 9 english speaking people with families and partners so when we get to know them i guess you could too, i think theres about 3 welshman there 2 form Oz and a couple more possibly from england and europe. well see.

regards all.
Old Mar 15th 2015, 11:06 am
Forum Regular

lacmac has a reputation beyond reputelacmac has a reputation beyond reputelacmac has a reputation beyond reputelacmac has a reputation beyond reputelacmac has a reputation beyond reputelacmac has a reputation beyond reputelacmac has a reputation beyond reputelacmac has a reputation beyond reputelacmac has a reputation beyond reputelacmac has a reputation beyond reputelacmac has a reputation beyond repute

It seems so. But I do understand others point of view. Some may say the local eating places is dirty and unhygienic, which compared to European standards it is.
I eat at many local mamak restaurants by the roadside and this maybe the reason I don't see many other expats. Perhaps they prefer the cleaner establishments like Starbucks or the many other upmarket restaurants.
I have travelled to many countries and I often here plenty of expats complaining about how the sausages aren't the same as back home, or the steak, fish etc. If it was the same, why leave their home country. For me, I rarely eat Western food now, perhaps only once or twice a month. My local Ipoh wife is a great cook and I amazed how delicious the local cuisine is.
Of course I do miss certain food from home but I go back each year so it's not too bad.
You'll soon find out that the main topic in Malaysia is food. Like how we would great people and say " would you like a cup of tea? " here it's "have you eaten? "
They eat like locusts and as soon as they have finished a meal,they are talking about where next to eat.
For me, this is difficult as I was used to having just one meal a day, now it's many more
Old Mar 15th 2015, 11:22 am
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute

When I go back to France, which I am obliged to do from time to time, I really miss Malay cuisine. In fact, I don't really want to eat out in France anymore. I would never have believed that this could be the case but French cuisine has really gone downhill and Malay cuisine is really on the up. (By Malay I would include the fusion of other Asian cuisines such as Indian, Thai, Chinese, Indonesian, Korean etc).
Old Mar 15th 2015, 11:31 am
Forum Regular

I know what you mean. I try to go to brittany each has year as my sister has a house there.
You are correct,this is one of the unique features of Malaysian cuisine as it has Chinese and Indian food. Which taste nothing like what you get back home in the takeaways. Everything is authentic here and there are so many variations to each dish, depending on which area you are eating in.
I do love Thai food and there are a couple of Thai restaurants in Ipoh. I tried one, was not so good. But you can jump on a plane for an hour from KL and be in Phuket etc.
Old Mar 16th 2015, 7:49 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Have split out the MSG posts to a new topic, per Gunnar's good idea. So, if you're looking for those posts, it's in the new topic.
Old Mar 17th 2015, 10:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

jonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond repute

Related websites for your enjoyment and education.

IpohWorld's World - Saving Yesterday For Tomorrow

https://nicerecipes.wordpress.com/

new Ipoh Talk Forum - Main Index - Powered by PhotoPost

Motormouth From Ipoh - Malaysian Food & Travel Blog

https://thelongnwindingroad.wordpress.com/

https://www.facebook.com/AllAboutIpoh
Old Mar 17th 2015, 11:59 pm
Forum Regular

Haggis68 has a reputation beyond reputeHaggis68 has a reputation beyond reputeHaggis68 has a reputation beyond reputeHaggis68 has a reputation beyond reputeHaggis68 has a reputation beyond reputeHaggis68 has a reputation beyond reputeHaggis68 has a reputation beyond reputeHaggis68 has a reputation beyond reputeHaggis68 has a reputation beyond reputeHaggis68 has a reputation beyond reputeHaggis68 has a reputation beyond repute

Jonboy,

that is wonderful, what a list should we meet ever i owe you a beer, all sites have been saved and will be researched, i cant wait to arrive and get going with all of these delights.

your a star...

thank you.

Haggis.
Old Apr 13th 2015, 10:14 pm
Just Joined

shamann123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Ooh late to the party!!
Yes we are moving to Ipoh May-June ish. Filed for MM2H in Feb and still waiting for that approval. We have a circle of friends in Ipoh and have visited Ipoh 3-4 times maybe. We are from the US. We love Ipoh!
Old Apr 13th 2015, 10:49 pm
Forum Regular

Shamann 123 - no no no too late at all, we are planning due to work to move over in August, i have met an awesome guy on here who lives in Ipoh with his Malysian wife, his name on here is Lacmac....the thread has only slowed due to well no one else living in Ipoh except him and we are now chatting via private messages through this site. so feel free to join in you can message me or Lacmac, i am sure we can both be of assistance - where as I have never lived there but am about to, Lacmac has lived there for nearly two years. I originally started the blog to learn of other English ex pats living there and to learn about the area pre arrival. I ma based in Derby England currently. join in...

I lived in the US in Idaho for about a year a while back, stunning place really loved it.

so carry on its still live and say hi To Lacmac say i introduced him.

regards for now.
Old Apr 13th 2015, 11:12 pm
Forum Regular

Hello Shamann123,

Of course your not too late and thank you to Haggis68 for his kind words about me.

Are you returning in ipoh or working here? As you have probably read on the thread here there aren't that many expats in ipoh compared to other states in Malaysia. So it's great that you have already found some friends.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask.
Old Apr 14th 2015, 12:04 am
Just Joined

shamann123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Haggis68 and lacmac,
Wow thanks for the quick reply! I am a naturalized US citizen originally from Singapore while my husband is US born. We are retiring early in Ipoh. We really want to immerse ourselves in a different environment and culture so not being close to a massive expat population is not a being deal. Being Malay myself, I am familiar with the culture and language. Hubster is still struggling with Malay but he tries! While in Ipoh last couple of times, we stayed with our close friend in a kampung (village). My husband was probably the only caucasian around... people were curious but extremely friendly and welcoming. Right now while waiting for our MM2H approval we are looking for a rental. One of the places that we are looking at is across from Tenby International School, the upcoming Meru area. We also like Sunway City and Klebang area. A lot of expats flock to Penang.. but that's ok... more Ipoh for us to enjoy!
Old Apr 14th 2015, 4:26 am
Forum Regular

Hi shamann123,

Those two areas you spoke of are idea spots. I think haggis68 is conside9finding something out near Tenby while myself I'm near sunway.

I also considered penang but there were too many condos being built, prices have shot up and traffic getting as bad KL. But it's nice for a visit.
Ipoh is the opposite, it's gradually becoming more modernised with a new Mall Aeon station 18 and some other projects on the go. It still retains its less hectic lifestyle compared to some other Malaysian States and this is what I like about Ipoh. Plus it's in an ideal location!
Old Apr 14th 2015, 8:33 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Shamann, welcome to the forum You will need to post 3 times before the PM function works. So you need one more post. Hint

I've got a friend (a MM2Her) who lives at Sunway. Seems to be a popular area. See....there are expats there.
Old Apr 14th 2015, 1:50 pm
Forum Regular

man from emas has a reputation beyond reputeman from emas has a reputation beyond reputeman from emas has a reputation beyond reputeman from emas has a reputation beyond reputeman from emas has a reputation beyond reputeman from emas has a reputation beyond reputeman from emas has a reputation beyond reputeman from emas has a reputation beyond reputeman from emas has a reputation beyond reputeman from emas has a reputation beyond reputeman from emas has a reputation beyond repute

We were in Ipoh about 10 years ago looking around for somewhere to retire we stayed several days, OK we ended up in Penang, last month we went back for fours days to have a look around again, it certainly has changed considerably anyone who remembers the old E1 Plus highway to the new system complete with slip roads either side. After Penang we found it very laid back as all the buildings are not jammed on what appears the pavements like Penang is, the roads were not jammed up with little bikes etc, reminded me & similar to Kuantan.
Of course Ipoh is in a bit of geological dip when ever you come through the tunnel on the way south into Ipoh there is always a haze over the whole valley anyone going up & down the E1 cannot fail to notice the destruction & dust of the hill sides, but it was not noticeable while we were there, could not comment on hospitals, shopping malls (we went to one). If you are open minded & look around to where to settle in, it should be fine.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.