MM2H so expensive

Old Aug 23rd 2010, 9:19 pm
Forum Regular

firefox is just really nicefirefox is just really nicefirefox is just really nicefirefox is just really nicefirefox is just really nicefirefox is just really nicefirefox is just really nicefirefox is just really nicefirefox is just really nicefirefox is just really nicefirefox is just really nice
Default MM2H so expensive

Hi all why is the cost of the MM2H gone so high i have been to Malaysia many times but cant work out why they would want you to have more then double the local income each month and to keep that amount in a bank account which you cant touch ever seems strange
i want to retire to malaysia but how it is now I CANT AFFORD IT NOW OR WHEN I GET TO 65
firefox
Old Aug 26th 2010, 8:58 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: MM2H so expensive

I don't know the answer but why don't you send some feedback on the mm2h government website.
Old Oct 14th 2010, 5:49 pm
Forum Regular

redbean has a brilliant futureredbean has a brilliant futureredbean has a brilliant futureredbean has a brilliant futureredbean has a brilliant futureredbean has a brilliant futureredbean has a brilliant future

Perhaps MM2H is expensive because locals and govt think that all expats that choose to move over to Malaysia are rich.

They seem to forget that most of us want to move over here because it is affordable. Another reason could be the drive to make Malaysia a high income country. IMHO, it is a rather short sighted of the govt as this will create a division between the rich and the average joe blow.
Old Oct 14th 2010, 5:52 pm
Forum Regular

firefox is just really nicefirefox is just really nicefirefox is just really nicefirefox is just really nicefirefox is just really nicefirefox is just really nicefirefox is just really nicefirefox is just really nicefirefox is just really nicefirefox is just really nicefirefox is just really nice

Originally Posted by redbean
Perhaps MM2H is expensive because locals and govt think that all expats that choose to move over to Malaysia are rich.

They seem to forget that most of us want to move over here because it is affordable. Another reason could be the drive to make Malaysia a high income country. IMHO, it is a rather short sighted of the govt as this will create a division between the rich and the average joe blow.
My wife is malaysian and they make it so hard to live there
Old Oct 15th 2010, 1:52 am
Forum Regular

redbean has a brilliant futureredbean has a brilliant futureredbean has a brilliant futureredbean has a brilliant futureredbean has a brilliant futureredbean has a brilliant futureredbean has a brilliant future

Having a spouse / partner who is Malaysian doesn't mean that it is easier for you to live in Malaysia contrary to popular belief. I was informed that the rules and regulations imposed by the govt is to deter applicants from poorer nations. Makes sense I guess.
Old Oct 15th 2010, 2:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Strider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by firefox
My wife is malaysian and they make it so hard to live there
Had a friend got MM2H and was married to a Malaysian. Didn't actually declare the Malaysian partner as was not required. Had no problems.
Old Oct 19th 2010, 3:15 pm
Forum Regular

parker-waterman is a name known to allparker-waterman is a name known to allparker-waterman is a name known to allparker-waterman is a name known to allparker-waterman is a name known to allparker-waterman is a name known to allparker-waterman is a name known to allparker-waterman is a name known to allparker-waterman is a name known to allparker-waterman is a name known to allparker-waterman is a name known to all

It isn't so expensive when you think about it. Let's face it, as a single person you'll get a 10-year renewal visa and you have to deposit RM150,000 in a FD. You collect the interest tax-free, and if you decide to bog off you take the money with you.

RM150,000, that's about 30,000 quid. The average UK house price is about 165,000 quid depending on Halifax etc. So it's about 20% of this.

What other country gives 10-year, and renewable for the rest of your life, visas for less ? Panama, and a couple of others.

And you can withdraw RM50,000 to use towards property purchase, or medical bills etc.

What would you price the mm2h visa at, and if it's that low how to set a limit. The worldwide complaint from many countries is, "too many immigrants, even for 10 years ++."

Last edited by parker-waterman; Oct 19th 2010 at 3:22 pm.
Old Oct 21st 2010, 3:16 am
Forum Regular

parker-waterman is a name known to allparker-waterman is a name known to allparker-waterman is a name known to allparker-waterman is a name known to allparker-waterman is a name known to allparker-waterman is a name known to allparker-waterman is a name known to allparker-waterman is a name known to allparker-waterman is a name known to allparker-waterman is a name known to allparker-waterman is a name known to all

as this will create a division between the rich and the average joe.
As in virtually all countries there already is a massive disparity. The idea for a higher-income country is to bring more people into the tax net, and make fiscal policies that much more predictable.
Old Oct 21st 2010, 3:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Strider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by parker-waterman
It isn't so expensive when you think about it. Let's face it, as a single person you'll get a 10-year renewal visa and you have to deposit RM150,000 in a FD. You collect the interest tax-free, and if you decide to bog off you take the money with you.

RM150,000, that's about 30,000 quid. The average UK house price is about 165,000 quid depending on Halifax etc. So it's about 20% of this.

What other country gives 10-year, and renewable for the rest of your life, visas for less ? Panama, and a couple of others.

And you can withdraw RM50,000 to use towards property purchase, or medical bills etc.

What would you price the mm2h visa at, and if it's that low how to set a limit. The worldwide complaint from many countries is, "too many immigrants, even for 10 years ++."
Right on. Its not only not expensive to get in and live, but ongoing expenses some of the cheapest in the region
Old Nov 4th 2010, 3:13 pm
Forum Regular

rogerluli is just really nicerogerluli is just really nicerogerluli is just really nicerogerluli is just really nicerogerluli is just really nicerogerluli is just really nicerogerluli is just really nicerogerluli is just really nicerogerluli is just really nicerogerluli is just really nice

I think the deposit and income requirements are perfectly reasonable. What has gone too high is the minimum amount at which one can buy a residence, 500,000 RM...the previous 350,000 was high enough...
Old Nov 4th 2010, 3:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rogerluli
I think the deposit and income requirements are perfectly reasonable. What has gone too high is the minimum amount at which one can buy a residence, 500,000 RM...the previous 350,000 was high enough...
Actually it was at M$250000 and happily I got in then. However I and others have expressed our thoughts on this to Government and the more who politely let it be known that its stopping a lot of potential MM2Her's the better. Sarawak is still M$350k and Penang and I believe Selangor differentiate between MM2H and other expats and still have M$250k for MM2H.
Having said that, its been reported that there shortly will be major announcements regards foreign workers, visa's, PR etc and one can only hope that this will include more hours MM2H can work plus lower house entry back to the sensible M$250k.
Old Nov 4th 2010, 3:47 pm
Forum Regular

The minimum property threshold used to be RM150,000.
Then it was raised to RM250,000.
Then it was raised, on the 1st Jan 2010, to RM500,000

This is the Federal Government setting a nationwide threshold.

However, land and property approvals are State matters. So each
State Government can decide on it's own levels.

From comments on forums such as my2home.info Penang has raised the threshold to the Federal level. But it seems to have made a distinction for mm2h visa holders and now allows mm2h purchases at/above the RM250,000 threshold.

Selangor decided not to raise it's threshold, for all foreigners, and simply kept it at RM250,000.

The threshold in Sarawak, according to the mudtour.sarawak.gov.my site is RM300,000.

The threshold in Pahang is/was RM750,000.

PW Cross

Last edited by parker-waterman; Nov 4th 2010 at 3:50 pm. Reason: spelling
Old Nov 4th 2010, 4:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by parker-waterman
The minimum property threshold used to be RM150,000.
Then it was raised to RM250,000.
Then it was raised, on the 1st Jan 2010, to RM500,000

This is the Federal Government setting a nationwide threshold.

However, land and property approvals are State matters. So each
State Government can decide on it's own levels.

From comments on forums such as my2home.info Penang has raised the threshold to the Federal level. But it seems to have made a distinction for mm2h visa holders and now allows mm2h purchases at/above the RM250,000 threshold.

Selangor decided not to raise it's threshold, for all foreigners, and simply kept it at RM250,000.

The threshold in Sarawak, according to the mudtour.sarawak.gov.my site is RM300,000.

The threshold in Pahang is/was RM750,000.

PW Cross
Absolutely. However I have recently heard (to be confirmed) Pahang has reduced to M$500k in line with BN directive. Also Penang will allow 1 house at min M$250k or 2 houses at min M$150k each. Presumably in a hope some older shop-houses may be snapped up and renovated much like parts of Singapore Chinatown....not a crazy idea that. One does hope however that the national limit is soon reduced to a sensible level.
Isn't Deepavali noisy (and why not)...no sleep tonight!!
Old Jan 16th 2011, 2:09 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Strider24
Also Penang will allow 1 house at min M$250k or 2 houses at min M$150k each.
Can you get a house for RM 150K in Penang ??
Old Jan 16th 2011, 4:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Flat yes, house dunno!. But remember as MM2H you need to buy 2, each no less than RM150k.

I bet there could be some shophouses around about that price within Penang state...not necessarily on the Island. A couple of shophouses side by side opened up inside could be very nice, while the repainted outside..a la Singapore Chinatown, would be great. Shop downstairs become garages and convert the old timber concertina doors into electric rollback.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.