Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia
Reload this Page >

Migrating to Malaysia, Langkawi...advice please

Migrating to Malaysia, Langkawi...advice please

Old May 10th 2006, 11:46 am
  #16  
womble
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Posts: 2,675
OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Migrating to Malaysia, Langkawi...advice please

Originally Posted by dave_wong
Being a Malaysian, I would say there are some truths in your comment. I also feel that foreigners under MM2H should not worry too much about the political climate in the country as it will not have much impact on them. i.e. A foreigner with a foreign passport could just buy a one-way ticket out of the country in case the un-imaginable happens.
Good point - but if you have invested all your money into Malaysia the last thing you would want to do is run and leave it all behind! Something to consider I guess....

However, one must take note of the ever increasing crime rates in the country.... snatch thefts, day light robberies, .... etc. This is due to the large influx of foreigner workers from neigbouring countries, both legal & illegal.
funny - even the haze in KL is often blamed on Indonesia, despite the open burnings you see as you take the train from the airport

Anyway, despite what it sounds, I'm not trying to rag the country (honest!), it's just that people come over for a 2 week holiday and then decide in a rose-tinted-romantic bloom that they want to retire there without considering day to day practicalities. One should always make informed decisions.
OriginalSunshine is offline  
Old May 10th 2006, 3:18 pm
  #17  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: Tropicana
Posts: 102
dave_wong is a jewel in the roughdave_wong is a jewel in the roughdave_wong is a jewel in the roughdave_wong is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Migrating to Malaysia, Langkawi...advice please

Anyway, despite what it sounds, I'm not trying to rag the country (honest!), it's just that people come over for a 2 week holiday and then decide in a rose-tinted-romantic bloom that they want to retire there without considering day to day practicalities. One should always make informed decisions.[/QUOTE]

Malaysia is a beautiful country to come for holidays, I must say. We have beautiful beaches to offer. However, I do not think the country will have a bright future if the govt continues to run the country as it is. I mean, discrimination is being institutionalised and there are abuses everywhere. I have got to know a Chinese main contractor that paid RM760,000 to a bumi (son of soil) Malay in order to obtain a govt infrastructure contract worth RM24million. i.e. using the bumi Malay's status to gain from the contract. Look at how much it will add to the cost of doing business over here!!! In Malaysia, it is not what you know but who you are that matters. We will NOT progress far with this kind of mentality with the onslaught of GLOBALISATION gaining momentum across all the continents. i.e. We must rid ourselves of the "Chinese vs the bumi Malays" mentality and instill "Malaysian vs the world" mentality in order to be able to move forward. I am sad to say that I don't see this coming in my generation or my kid's generation..... If you observe proceeding of the last UMNO gathering whereby the Malay Education minister (3rd line to the post of Prime Minister) could wave his kris (Malay warrior sword) and shout racial slogans during the meeting, You would be worried like myself. To be frank, I have obtained Australian PR and will be leaving the country sometime early next year. I am leaving the country for the sake of my future generation.......
dave_wong is offline  
Old May 11th 2006, 6:57 am
  #18  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 20
hellola is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Migrating to Malaysia, Langkawi...advice please

Originally Posted by dave_wong
Anyway, despite what it sounds, I'm not trying to rag the country (honest!), it's just that people come over for a 2 week holiday and then decide in a rose-tinted-romantic bloom that they want to retire there without considering day to day practicalities. One should always make informed decisions.
Malaysia is a beautiful country to come for holidays, I must say. We have beautiful beaches to offer. However, I do not think the country will have a bright future if the govt continues to run the country as it is. I mean, discrimination is being institutionalised and there are abuses everywhere. I have got to know a Chinese main contractor that paid RM760,000 to a bumi (son of soil) Malay in order to obtain a govt infrastructure contract worth RM24million. i.e. using the bumi Malay's status to gain from the contract. Look at how much it will add to the cost of doing business over here!!! In Malaysia, it is not what you know but who you are that matters. We will NOT progress far with this kind of mentality with the onslaught of GLOBALISATION gaining momentum across all the continents. i.e. We must rid ourselves of the "Chinese vs the bumi Malays" mentality and instill "Malaysian vs the world" mentality in order to be able to move forward. I am sad to say that I don't see this coming in my generation or my kid's generation..... If you observe proceeding of the last UMNO gathering whereby the Malay Education minister (3rd line to the post of Prime Minister) could wave his kris (Malay warrior sword) and shout racial slogans during the meeting, You would be worried like myself. To be frank, I have obtained Australian PR and will be leaving the country sometime early next year. I am leaving the country for the sake of my future generation.......[/QUOTE]
Hi Dave

I hear you loud and clear. My husband graduated from the UK 21 years ago and was naive enough to think by coming back to work in his family's manufacturing business would make all the difference. However, 21 years down the road he is facing the exact problems you mentioned. His father established the business over 40 years ago but this doesn't seem to matter as the govt rather reward projects to bumi contractors that operates from makeshift workshops and are able to secure million dollar contracts just because they are who they are! Even in so call open tenders they manage to manipulate the system.
So thank you Dave for having the guts to voice this out. It has reaffirm our decision to migrate for the future of our children - just like you!
hellola is offline  
Old May 11th 2006, 8:24 am
  #19  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: Tropicana
Posts: 102
dave_wong is a jewel in the roughdave_wong is a jewel in the roughdave_wong is a jewel in the roughdave_wong is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Migrating to Malaysia, Langkawi...advice please

hellola : I bet that you & your hubby must have gone through countless discussions and deliberations before deciding on the option to emigrate. It is good to be able to come up with a decision, rather than sitting back & talk & talk & talk .... about exercising the option but never actually take the affort to do it (I know of someone that will fit my description - talked about it 5 years ago, now still taking about it. Got the application form from the embassy but found it hard to fill up. Therefore, left it in the drawer.). Well! Emigration is easier said than done. Case in point : Myself. I have a good job with a US multinational. We live in the better part of PJ. There are 2 good Chinese schools within the vicinity of our suburb. My wife is working part time so that she could spent more time with the kid. It will take a lot of afford to up root myself & family from our comfort zone, move to a land so foreign, and start our lives all over again!!! We are unlike the English ..... whereby the exchange rate is in favour of them. They could easily buy a property over here CASH. I don't know where are you going. For us, we are intending to settle down in Perth, WA. The current exchange rate and the prices of properties over there are not to our favour (sob! sob!). However, I think our reason to move will outweigh all the disadvantages ....
dave_wong is offline  
Old May 21st 2006, 5:35 am
  #20  
Just Joined
 
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 1
zxcvbnm is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Migrating to Malaysia, Langkawi...advice please

Originally Posted by dave_wong
hellola : I bet that you & your hubby must have gone through countless discussions and deliberations before deciding on the option to emigrate. It is good to be able to come up with a decision, rather than sitting back & talk & talk & talk .... about exercising the option but never actually take the affort to do it (I know of someone that will fit my description - talked about it 5 years ago, now still taking about it. Got the application form from the embassy but found it hard to fill up. Therefore, left it in the drawer.). Well! Emigration is easier said than done. Case in point : Myself. I have a good job with a US multinational. We live in the better part of PJ. There are 2 good Chinese schools within the vicinity of our suburb. My wife is working part time so that she could spent more time with the kid. It will take a lot of afford to up root myself & family from our comfort zone, move to a land so foreign, and start our lives all over again!!! We are unlike the English ..... whereby the exchange rate is in favour of them. They could easily buy a property over here CASH. I don't know where are you going. For us, we are intending to settle down in Perth, WA. The current exchange rate and the prices of properties over there are not to our favour (sob! sob!). However, I think our reason to move will outweigh all the disadvantages ....
It is well to be known that the original function of NEP is to actually give fair chance for people of the soil. As you are aware, the non-bumis have a big disadvantage in economics sector which the government is trying to rectify , which you all managed to see was owing to the divide and rule policy during the British Occupation.
By the way, I dont think this factor is rampant and whereof not really significant to the original poster's intent on living in Malaysia. If we are to compare malaysia to other neighbouriing countries, I would bet a big stake that Malaysia is still one of the safest countries in the region. But it is as safe as you can be.
I can assure the original poster that corruption or whatever is found anywhere in the world. You have to remember the very foundation of Malaysia was built on the principles of tolerance and social/political/economical agreemnet long established ago. And its just been 40 years and we are only seeing slow progression. If you have the wrath to speak against your country, its much to dismay for me , a loyal Malaysian, to realize the fact that in your disdain effort to fabricate such a matter which , in this forum, seems tantamount to malaysia being such a bad country to live in.
I can assure, the opportunities are vast in Malaysia. It takes time to educate the minds of some malays to gradually let go their rights for the sake of globalization. BUt is it some kind of wrong to get a fair economy pie/wealth. ?This disproportionate wealth distribution is unfair to people of the soil.
I really wish the original poster will make up his/her mind to choose Malaysia as it is indeed a nice country. Im sure the political stability, abundance and richness of its people and good infrastructure are the main points for you to consider Malaysia. The fact that 8000 + people who chose this programme cant be wrong.

oliver
leicester university
zxcvbnm is offline  
Old May 21st 2006, 7:55 am
  #21  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 20
hellola is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Migrating to Malaysia, Langkawi...advice please

Originally Posted by zxcvbnm
It is well to be known that the original function of NEP is to actually give fair chance for people of the soil. As you are aware, the non-bumis have a big disadvantage in economics sector which the government is trying to rectify , which you all managed to see was owing to the divide and rule policy during the British Occupation.
By the way, I dont think this factor is rampant and whereof not really significant to the original poster's intent on living in Malaysia. If we are to compare malaysia to other neighbouriing countries, I would bet a big stake that Malaysia is still one of the safest countries in the region. But it is as safe as you can be.
I can assure the original poster that corruption or whatever is found anywhere in the world. You have to remember the very foundation of Malaysia was built on the principles of tolerance and social/political/economical agreemnet long established ago. And its just been 40 years and we are only seeing slow progression. If you have the wrath to speak against your country, its much to dismay for me , a loyal Malaysian, to realize the fact that in your disdain effort to fabricate such a matter which , in this forum, seems tantamount to malaysia being such a bad country to live in.
I can assure, the opportunities are vast in Malaysia. It takes time to educate the minds of some malays to gradually let go their rights for the sake of globalization. BUt is it some kind of wrong to get a fair economy pie/wealth. ?This disproportionate wealth distribution is unfair to people of the soil.
I really wish the original poster will make up his/her mind to choose Malaysia as it is indeed a nice country. Im sure the political stability, abundance and richness of its people and good infrastructure are the main points for you to consider Malaysia. The fact that 8000 + people who chose this programme cant be wrong.

oliver
leicester university


Hi Oliver

Its all very well for you to tell us what's happening to Malaysia from as far as the UK. We are just voicing our own experience and not giving any negetive vibes about the country. If you are in business you will fully understand our situation! Yes, we are not disputing the fact that its great if you have the money to retire to a lovely climate and a relative strong spending power makes all the difference.
Thanks for listening.
hellola is offline  
Old May 21st 2006, 3:15 pm
  #22  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: Tropicana
Posts: 102
dave_wong is a jewel in the roughdave_wong is a jewel in the roughdave_wong is a jewel in the roughdave_wong is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Migrating to Malaysia, Langkawi...advice please

Originally Posted by zxcvbnm
.....of Malaysia was built on the principles of tolerance and social/political/economical agreemnet long established ago. And its just been 40 years and we are only seeing slow progression. If you have the wrath to speak against your country, its much to dismay for me , a loyal Malaysian, to realize the fact that in your disdain effort to fabricate such a matter which , in this forum, seems tantamount to malaysia being such a bad country to live in.
Dear Oliver,

I have the right to voice my opinion in this forum. You may not agree with me but that is not my problem. Speaking about loyalty to the country.... my grandfather was nearly shot to death by the Japanese army because he financially support the MPAJA (Malayan People's Anti Japanese Army) during the war. My dad was drafted into the army in the 60s during the confrontation with Indonesia. My grandma was shot & killed in Raub because the family did not provide support for the communist terrorist during the emergency period. I have learnt lots about LOYALTY to the country through my grand dad & dad..... By the way, what are you doing in a foreign land??? As a "loyal" Malaysian, you should get your butt back & serve the country....

For the visitors who would like to have a better view about Malaysia, May I suggest that you visit "www.malaysiakini.com".
dave_wong is offline  
Old May 23rd 2006, 2:42 pm
  #23  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: Tropicana
Posts: 102
dave_wong is a jewel in the roughdave_wong is a jewel in the roughdave_wong is a jewel in the roughdave_wong is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Migrating to Malaysia, Langkawi...advice please

I have been accused by an Oliver for fabricating issues. Please check out the following link in order to subsatantiate my thoughts....

http://www.malaysiakini.com/letters/51447
dave_wong is offline  
Old May 24th 2006, 6:16 am
  #24  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 20
hellola is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Migrating to Malaysia, Langkawi...advice please

Originally Posted by dave_wong
I have been accused by an Oliver for fabricating issues. Please check out the following link in order to subsatantiate my thoughts....

http://www.malaysiakini.com/letters/51447

Thank you Dave, for bringing this website to my attention. My husband was equally pleased to read all the articles too. Wished we known about it a few years back then we would not have wasted so much time in toing and froing about the decision to migrate or not. However, as the saying goes - it's never too late, hopefully by next year we make it to Melbourne.
My husband and I wish you and your family all the best when you settle down in Perth. Good luck in all your future career.

Hellola
hellola is offline  
Old Jun 3rd 2006, 4:59 am
  #25  
Account Closed
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 395
katongkaren is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Migrating to Malaysia, Langkawi...advice please

Dave, where do you think is the best place in Malaysia for an expat to retire bearing in mind your comments re crime (is it everywhere?) and prev posting about medical care/hospitals.








Originally Posted by dave_wong
Being a Malaysian, I would say there are some truths in your comment. I also feel that foreigners under MM2H should not worry too much about the political climate in the country as it will not have much impact on them. i.e. A foreigner with a foreign passport could just buy a one-way ticket out of the country in case the un-imaginable happens.

However, one must take note of the ever increasing crime rates in the country.... snatch thefts, day light robberies, .... etc. This is due to the large influx of foreigner workers from neigbouring countries, both legal & illegal.

DAVE....
katongkaren is offline  
Old Jun 4th 2006, 1:35 am
  #26  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: Tropicana
Posts: 102
dave_wong is a jewel in the roughdave_wong is a jewel in the roughdave_wong is a jewel in the roughdave_wong is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Migrating to Malaysia, Langkawi...advice please

Originally Posted by katongkaren
Dave, where do you think is the best place in Malaysia for an expat to retire bearing in mind your comments re crime (is it everywhere?) and prev posting about medical care/hospitals.
Karen : Where you want to live in Malaysia will be dependant on what you want to do while in the country. You want thje beach?? White water rafting?? Jungle trekking??.....

As for crime rate, it is the highest in Johor Baru, the city just north of Singapore. The high rate of crime was also highlighted in one of the travel guides (don't remember which one). If I am going to stay in Malaysia, I will strike Johor Baru out of my list!!!

I would say Klang Valley (KL, Petaling Jaya) and Penang are ideal cities. If you are worried about medical, we have the best doctors and private hospitals in these 2 cities. However, you will have to take note of the high medical expenditure in private hospitals. Cirme rate in these 2 cities are also high but IMO, not as bad as Johor Baru. If you have some money to spare, it is ideal to buy a property within a gated community. i.e. with security guards. I am living in one and I must say that it feels safer than living in an open community.

The people living in open communities located in the more affluent suburbs are also setting up private security post at various entry points in order to curb crime. This is an indication the police force and the govt have failed in providing a safe & secure environment for its people. It didn't help when an internal circulation of the police force leaked out to the press indicating an the various measurements that would be taken in order to protest the setting up of an independent commission to monitor them (something like the ICAC in Hong Kong). Some of the points are "En-masse" resignation of policemen, reduce street patrol & encourage the increase in crime rate .....

For more details, you could log into "www.malaysiakini.com" and read the various postings by Malaysians from all walks of life and then decide for yourself on whether (or not) to retire here.

Good luck.
dave_wong is offline  
Old Jun 4th 2006, 9:23 am
  #27  
Account Closed
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 395
katongkaren is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Migrating to Malaysia, Langkawi...advice please

Thanks for your comments Dave which are very interesting. We are only vaguely planning at the moment what we want/can do for retirement. It is some years away yet, so plenty of planning to do before any decisions are made. We have been in Singapore for one year and enjoy it very much, though don't know if we will be able to retire here eventually. Maybe they will bring in a retirement scheme for foreigners one of these days - we hope so.

The thought of returning to the UK fills us with dread. Have visited KL city centre once last year and didn't experience any crime. Were we lucky? Were thinking of planning another trip but the comments on crime are making us think twice. I thought reports might be exaggerated but, from what you say, maybe not.

Anyway Dave, thanks for sharing your thoughts and good luck with your move to Australia - hope you enjoy it there.
katongkaren is offline  
Old Jun 4th 2006, 9:38 am
  #28  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: Tropicana
Posts: 102
dave_wong is a jewel in the roughdave_wong is a jewel in the roughdave_wong is a jewel in the roughdave_wong is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Migrating to Malaysia, Langkawi...advice please

Originally Posted by katongkaren
Thanks for your comments Dave which are very interesting. We are only vaguely planning at the moment what we want/can do for retirement. It is some years away yet, so plenty of planning to do before any decisions are made. We have been in Singapore for one year and enjoy it very much, though don't know if we will be able to retire here eventually. Maybe they will bring in a retirement scheme for foreigners one of these days - we hope so.

The thought of returning to the UK fills us with dread. Have visited KL city centre once last year and didn't experience any crime. Were we lucky? Were thinking of planning another trip but the comments on crime are making us think twice. I thought reports might be exaggerated but, from what you say, maybe not.

Anyway Dave, thanks for sharing your thoughts and good luck with your move to Australia - hope you enjoy it there.
Karen,

My opinions may be exaggerated. You will have to do more research & check with other sources (probably also check with your friends currently staying & working in Malaysia). I can share with you that my mum's handbag was snatched by 2 'dark colour' looking men while she was walking back home one evening. She made a police report and the policeman in charged told her that my mum's case was the 10th case in the day!!!

Strange .... but it had never came across my mind to migrate to Singapore. I don't like it there. No doubt the environment is cleaner and the crime rate is much lesser if compared to cities in Malaysia. I don't like the way the PAP runs the country.
dave_wong is offline  
Old Jun 5th 2006, 4:54 am
  #29  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 192
shriver9 is just really niceshriver9 is just really niceshriver9 is just really niceshriver9 is just really niceshriver9 is just really niceshriver9 is just really niceshriver9 is just really niceshriver9 is just really nice
Default Re: Migrating to Malaysia, Langkawi...advice please

Originally Posted by katongkaren
Dave, where do you think is the best place in Malaysia for an expat to retire bearing in mind your comments re crime (is it everywhere?) and prev posting about medical care/hospitals.
Next time you are down in Malaysia, you may want to check out Kuantan. Kuala Lumpur IMO is a business city, a bit of concrete jungle - its okay if you have a job to go to, or business to attend. Penang is interesting but a bit conjested nowadays with traffic jams during rush hours. Kuantan on the other hand is a smaller city, much less conjested, with a beach just 5 miniutes drive from the city center ( at Teluk Chempadak ) and 45 minutes away from the Cerating, where Club Med is. Property prices here should be lower than KL or Penang.

There are also hill resorts like Cameron Highlands and Bukit Tinggi where some expats have made their home.

Just as in any major city in any part of the world, crime does exist, and it is not as if every other person you meet in the street is out to rob you. In the company I work for there are many expats, and many of them have lived here for more than 10 years and love it here.

It's best that you meet / discuss with several expats who have lived here, to get a correct perspective of what the crime rate is like vis a vis other major cities.
shriver9 is offline  
Old Jun 7th 2006, 3:33 pm
  #30  
Back from India
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: UK
Posts: 793
pennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Migrating to Malaysia, Langkawi...advice please

Hey
new to this and cant for the life of me work out how to start a new thread
But as I am in India and thought some of you folk in this part of the world
can help
I have been barred from operating my uk bank account from India by my
dearly beloved bank in the uk as they say new bank rules do not allow me
to access from SE Asia?
Any ideas
PS how do you start an new one!! :scared:
pennylessinindia is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.