Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia
Reload this Page >

Malay Gay Film a Hit in Conservative Malaysia

Malay Gay Film a Hit in Conservative Malaysia

Old Jun 5th 2011, 12:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute
Default Malay Gay Film a Hit in Conservative Malaysia

Could Malaysian society becoming more open and accepting of different lifestyles?

The Malaysian film,Dalam Botol(In the Bottle) has become a big hit and has already grossed over one million ringet in this conservative majority Muslim nation.

The film tells of a post op transsexual who begins to question if it wouldn't have been more in his interests to have stayed a man.

Actually found Malay society a bit paradoxal when it came to things of a sexual nature.
By nature they tend to be rather fun loving people just know that discretation is required.
Recall the police checking out couples in parks and in parked cars by the Malacca seafront.
There mode of operation would be to shine a tourch into the car or at the couple to check on race.
Any other race than Malay was not a problem. If Malay a fine was imposed for khalwat (close contact)
Old Jun 8th 2011, 5:38 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Malay Gay Film a Hit in Conservative Malaysia

Originally Posted by the troubadour
Could Malaysian society becoming more open and accepting of different lifestyles?
In my personal opinion, I think Malaysian society in general is accepting, but Malays (not Malaysians) clearly have an issue with the gay question (or maybe it's just the Malay authorities?). There certainly seems to be a lively gay community here in Penang, and why not.
Old Jun 8th 2011, 7:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Malay Gay Film a Hit in Conservative Malaysia

Originally Posted by bakedbean
In my personal opinion, I think Malaysian society in general is accepting, but Malays (not Malaysians) clearly have an issue with the gay question (or maybe it's just the Malay authorities?). There certainly seems to be a lively gay community here in Penang, and why not.
Yes accepting with a few buts. Although Malay society at times I found somewhat paradoxal. A lot goes on behind the covers being a rather sensual and attractive race in my opinion.

A former Prime Minister once said when asked about introducing Sharia Law and the stoning of women whom step out of line with their sexuality,responded by saying that there wasn't enough rocks and stones in Malaysia,for such a law to be of any use.

A wise old man indeed. By the way he was sometimes called The Father of Malaysia,Tun Abdul Rahmin had a house in Penang as well.

Rather accepting of gays and transgenders at least away from the Kampung,but where the problems tend to arise in my experience is relationships between a Matselleh and a Malay woman.