Malaria

Old Dec 22nd 2010, 10:35 pm
Just Joined

sandcastle is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Malaria

For travel to Penang and Langkawi do people recommend malaria pills, or any other medication outside of the standard vaccinations you get whether you are traveling or not?
Old Dec 23rd 2010, 12:16 am
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Malaria

Ask your doctor, not a message board for an answer on something important to your health.
We never bother with anti malarials in Penang or Langkawi.
Old Dec 23rd 2010, 12:43 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't bother. I would however try not to get bitten in the first place, as there is no other precaution against Dengue - and you don't want Dengue.
Old Dec 23rd 2010, 1:54 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

I'm living in Penang. I just spray up with Off morning and evening. Don't think I've had a bite from anything so far . Around the urban areas, there's a heck of a lot of fogging goes on so I would have thought that would cut down the mozzies a bit.
Old Dec 25th 2010, 4:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Strider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by sandcastle
For travel to Penang and Langkawi do people recommend malaria pills, or any other medication outside of the standard vaccinations you get whether you are traveling or not?
I agree with Seasider, dengue is the problem.
Old Dec 26th 2010, 11:49 pm
Forum Regular

joamelie has much to be proud ofjoamelie has much to be proud ofjoamelie has much to be proud ofjoamelie has much to be proud ofjoamelie has much to be proud ofjoamelie has much to be proud ofjoamelie has much to be proud ofjoamelie has much to be proud ofjoamelie has much to be proud ofjoamelie has much to be proud ofjoamelie has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by bakedbean
I'm living in Penang. I just spray up with Off morning and evening. Don't think I've had a bite from anything so far . Around the urban areas, there's a heck of a lot of fogging goes on so I would have thought that would cut down the mozzies a bit.
Can you recommend a good antimosi spray....we are running low on the stuff we bought with us
Old Dec 27th 2010, 12:46 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

BB says she sprays with "Off". I use "Rid" - I've never bought it in Malaysia but used to get it in Singapore so you should be able to.

Get coils, citronella candles, and maybe even repellant lamps for your patio, and don't have any standing water, especially in your plant pots.
Old Dec 27th 2010, 1:45 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

I used to use straight citronella spray which worked fine, but slowly discovered that my other half is allergic to it (and the plants too) so searched around for one that didn't have it in the ingredients. Off seems to be okay for us, and readily available here in south east Asia.
Old Dec 30th 2010, 1:46 am
Forum Regular

joamelie has much to be proud ofjoamelie has much to be proud ofjoamelie has much to be proud ofjoamelie has much to be proud ofjoamelie has much to be proud ofjoamelie has much to be proud ofjoamelie has much to be proud ofjoamelie has much to be proud ofjoamelie has much to be proud ofjoamelie has much to be proud ofjoamelie has much to be proud of

Thanks, I found both Rid and Off in the pharmacy and have armed myself with plugin's for the house....yeah, we moved into a house yesterday, out of the grotty company apartment!
Old Dec 30th 2010, 2:29 am
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by joamelie
Thanks, I found both Rid and Off in the pharmacy and have armed myself with plugin's for the house....yeah, we moved into a house yesterday, out of the grotty company apartment!
In that case first thing is to get the pest control around to do their job.

Well worth it imo.
Old Dec 31st 2010, 12:52 am

Absolutely agree with ex-reg, get the pest control to squirt and fog round. That will keep the blighters away. More bugs and pests at ground level, and not to mention snakes
Old Jun 7th 2011, 1:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by joamelie
Can you recommend a good antimosi spray....we are running low on the stuff we bought with us
I wouldn't be using sprays personally more than a few weeks and then only in an effected area.
Excessive use is not beneficial to the body. As others have stated Dengue can be the problem in parts of Malaysia. Although never experienced myself.

At night sleeping/sitting around the mozzies would at times be darn annoying normally always used a coil.

Maleria not really a problem in the patrs of Malaysia most folk would frequent. Don't believe anything has changed with regards to that.
Old Jun 7th 2011, 5:01 am

Originally Posted by the troubadour
Excessive use is not beneficial to the body.
Why is that?
Old Jun 7th 2011, 5:27 am

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

Unless you are going into remote jungle areas probably wouldn't bother. In many cases taking the pills can make you sick also, or restrict what you can do such as drink alcohol and be exposed to sunlight ( hello ! sounds like a good holiday, no booze and no sun ).

Definitley watch out for Dengue though , Got it once and it was nightmare. Some people go temporarily blind from it. Just make sure you cover up at dawn and dusk if you are outside. Use coils. Plugin things that go in your plug sockets. A mosquito electric bat ( very satisfying ), and sprays. I don't use sprays myself because they're quite expensive and they can burn the skin a little bit ,but try to get one with at least 40 % DEET .
Old Jun 7th 2011, 6:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bakedbean
Why is that?
For example when sweating we often put our hand to our forehead to wipe away the perspiration.then we inadvertitly touch our mouths our whatever not good as neither is allowing it into our bloodstream.
With the use of rather powerful chemicals and that's what after all the make up is,I for one act on the side of caution,in the sense of reframing from using apart from areas where the risk is just too great.

That does not include Malaysia,Thailand,Laos nor most of Cambodia at least for me.

Did take in parts of Indonesia and Africa, pills as well as spray. Still have doubts with regards pills but is rather debatable but my understanding is they are not entirely affective and side effects can be pretty awful.

One place folk forget to take care and are vulnerable is after a shower. A lesson impressed on me in Africa.