Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia
Reload this Page >

Making a Will in Malaysia

Making a Will in Malaysia

Old Aug 24th 2016, 10:22 am
Just Joined

maxwellreid is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Making a Will in Malaysia

Hi, I have decided to make a will. I would like to do this in KL/Penang/Malacca. So I am asking if anyone had either done this or could mention a firm of lawyers that might handle this. I have run a basic search of this forum but found nothing. Do I need to try harder?

Max

Last edited by maxwellreid; Aug 24th 2016 at 10:26 am.
Old Aug 24th 2016, 11:39 pm
KK Resident - Retired

Hovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Making a Will in Malaysia

My wife and I have done this in KK. The process was straightforward. I do not know any lawyers in West Malaysia but you could try this site if no one has a recommendation - The Malaysian Bar - Find A Law Firm
Old Aug 25th 2016, 2:53 am
Forum Regular

kiat137 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Maxwellreid, just go to lawyer firm will do.
Either you can engage an agency name Rock Will to help you.
If you need me to recommend you some agent in Kuala Lumpur, please just pm me. Thanks!
Old Aug 25th 2016, 2:54 am
JC3
¿uo buıob s,ʇɐɥʍ

JC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond repute

Whilst the following article relates to expats in Singapore - the advice given may still be useful to some BE members:

Making a will in Singapore - Expat Living Singapore

This article 'Do expats need English wills?' may also be of interest to British citizens:

http://www.fladgate.com/2013/10/do-e...english-wills/

JC3

Last edited by JC3; Aug 25th 2016 at 3:12 am.
Old Aug 25th 2016, 6:57 am
Just Joined

maxwellreid is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for your replies. I think I have read something about having a seperate will for the country is a good idea if it involves a property (which I don't have). I will probable depend on my Oz will. The objective is not to leave an admin mess behind

Max
Old Aug 25th 2016, 11:42 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kiat137
Either you can engage an agency name Rock Will to help you.
I did not have a great experience with this firm. Many problems. The guy in Penang (Rockwills agent) was good drafting Will and Trust but, when the inevitable happens, it goes through Rockwills KL to execute everything.

To be fair, I can only compare with an experience in the UK where parent passed away, so for all I know there may be others who aren't too good.

If your assets are mostly in Aus and, especially if beneficiaries are in Aus, might be an idea to just do through the Aus lawyer. But just my opinion.
Old Aug 25th 2016, 2:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond repute

As we have assets in Malaysia, I went to a lawyer in Penang to write a will.
Cost RM 500:-. You can appoint the beneficiary to be executor of the will, the person can then of course seek help from a lawyer if required.