Love Cheese?

Old May 27th 2015, 6:28 am
JC3
¿uo buıob s,ʇɐɥʍ

JC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Love Cheese?

Glad to hear I'm not the only one who loves cheese. Thanks Poolie.

To kick off this thread, I am going to leave Malaysia for a second and take you on a journey to Bangkok.

When you get there, check out the Cheese Room at the Millenium Hilton hotel on the river. It's fantastic!

JC3
Attached Thumbnails Love Cheese?-bangkok-millennium-hilton-flow-restaurant-cheese-room.jpg  
Old May 27th 2015, 7:20 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Love Cheese?

Another good topic. Well done JC.

I really love cheese and like nothing better than to nibble on a bowl of cheese in the evening (accompanied by a glass of wine of course).

Cold Storage has a few decent cheeses from time to time. They are not particularly cheap though. I've found a couple of nice Bries and Camemberts. I will have to make note of the names and put on here next time I see them. Or , better still, I will take a photo. There are also a few suspect Camemberts which taste nothing like Camembert. I know one of the Bries comes in a Gold package and now costing about RM 30

For Cheddar, I really don't think you can beat the Aussie Bega Vintage cheddar. Or does anyone else know of a better one here?
Old May 27th 2015, 9:35 am
Forum Regular

PoolieAbroad has a reputation beyond reputePoolieAbroad has a reputation beyond reputePoolieAbroad has a reputation beyond reputePoolieAbroad has a reputation beyond reputePoolieAbroad has a reputation beyond reputePoolieAbroad has a reputation beyond reputePoolieAbroad has a reputation beyond reputePoolieAbroad has a reputation beyond reputePoolieAbroad has a reputation beyond reputePoolieAbroad has a reputation beyond reputePoolieAbroad has a reputation beyond repute

Now I feel I must get to BKK ASAP and tuck into that cheese buffet. What a dream place to be!! Well perhaps second to the tasting room in a Brewery. Hrm is Beer a topic I wonder...............

I would heartily agree with bb on the Vintage Cheddar as the best I have come across in Malaysia and it is grand with a few rare pickled onions.

My stock cheese is Bega Mild which is acceptable especially at RM66 for 2.5 kg block
It is perfect for cheese scones and throwing on home made pizzas with a few other flavours added.

I can feel a trip to KL to Cold Storage coming soon!

OH has anyone heard of JAYA Grocer? and do they sell cheese? ( wine? or croissants?)
I see there is one at KLIA 2 and that's a traffic free simple drive for us.

This food and drink bunch of topics is getting me thirsty and hungry.
Old May 27th 2015, 9:53 am
Loving Penang

Kirisuchina is a splendid one to beholdKirisuchina is a splendid one to beholdKirisuchina is a splendid one to beholdKirisuchina is a splendid one to beholdKirisuchina is a splendid one to beholdKirisuchina is a splendid one to beholdKirisuchina is a splendid one to beholdKirisuchina is a splendid one to beholdKirisuchina is a splendid one to beholdKirisuchina is a splendid one to beholdKirisuchina is a splendid one to behold

Meanwhile, back in Penang... In Tanjung Bungah in the row of shops near the wet market, one can find Muthu's Frozen Foods, which carries lovely sharp cheddar (sometimes several varieties) feta (small cubes, in olive oil), Parmesan (both whole and grated), and sometimes German white cheese, bleu cheese and even mascarpone. The shop also carries other imported items at very good prices--all prices are lower than Tesco's.
Old May 27th 2015, 9:55 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

If you like Feta, Cold Storage also has sometimes. And Halloumi. I love Halloumi. Bit pricey now.
Old May 27th 2015, 9:57 am
JC3
¿uo buıob s,ʇɐɥʍ

JC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PoolieAbroad
OH has anyone heard of JAYA Grocer? and do they sell cheese? ( wine? or croissants?)
I see there is one at KLIA 2 and that's a traffic free simple drive for us.

This food and drink bunch of topics is getting me thirsty and hungry.
Hi Poolie,

There's a JAYA Grocer supermarket in the basement of the Intermark Building (not far from KLCC). I was there last week when we drove down to KL, after we went to Putrajaya. We like the Hilton Doubletree hotel in KL which is in the same building. Easy parking under the hotel too.

The Jaya at the Intermark has a good selection of wine and a very good in-house bakery with croissants. They certainly sell cheese too, but I wasn't paying much attention, sorry.

It looks to be very popular with expats. One thing they sell there that we stocked up on is Betty Crocker Cake Mix (from the USA) which we can sometimes find in Penang, and Betty Crocker Cake Frosting, which we never can.

Hmmm...I feel a 'Love Cake?' thread coming on.

On a previous visit to KL I stupidly put a tub of Cake Frosting in our hand luggage and had it confiscated at the airport. Someone must have heard about my non-existent cooking skills.

Here's a link that has a few photos: The Yum List: Best restaurants, hotels and spas - Malaysia, Asia, Worldwide.: Jaya Grocer, The Intermark, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

JC3
Old May 28th 2015, 8:11 am
BE Enthusiast

roystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond repute

Before GST my gouda block costs Rm17.xx, after GST Rm24.xx

Please do not mess with my cheese!
Old May 28th 2015, 9:06 am
Forum Regular

PoolieAbroad has a reputation beyond reputePoolieAbroad has a reputation beyond reputePoolieAbroad has a reputation beyond reputePoolieAbroad has a reputation beyond reputePoolieAbroad has a reputation beyond reputePoolieAbroad has a reputation beyond reputePoolieAbroad has a reputation beyond reputePoolieAbroad has a reputation beyond reputePoolieAbroad has a reputation beyond reputePoolieAbroad has a reputation beyond reputePoolieAbroad has a reputation beyond repute

Hi There JC3
many thanks for the info I think I shall try the Jaya at KLIA2 soon. There is a big Outlet Place opening near the Airport in the next few days so who knows maybe a few new pairs of shorts and some cheese all in one fell swoop